Rabies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larryscofield

A heads up for anyone heading for a NY state park.  They are now requiring and examining a current rabies vaccination  certificate for each pet when you check in to the park campground.  We just returned from a wonderful trip involving five state parks in the Finger Lakes and the Genesee regions.  They examined the papers every time.

Not sure when they began doing this.  It has been a few years since I camped in a NY state park, and they did not used to actually examine the paperwork.  But there are recent cases of rabies confirmed in wild life in the area of western NY and NW PA.

Larry

We have always been required at the places we have stayed here in Fl. I keep an up to date copy of his vaccination record on the dash of the RV.

It was a requirement when we workamped in NY campgrounds back in 2001. Most private campgrounds have the same requirement, since they would be liable if they allowed a rabid animal on the grounds.

Hi All,
A question for you. I do keep a paper copy of my Sophie's vaccination record in with all the other TT paperwork and so far, I've never been asked to produce it. No difference as I do have it with us anyway. However, I also keep a scan/picture of the document on my iPod that can be "blown up" to make it legible. Does anyone know if that iPod image would be acceptable to the powers that be? We're thinking of going to the Finger Lakes region of NY in 2015 and that info would be handy.
Thanks all and Happy Camping!
Mike

Yup. We had to show papers for our dogs. We were a bit surprised, but prepared.

Some places may want a photo copy for their records while you are staying there.  It's hard to guess whether any particular place will accept an image on a phone or tablet - it might even vary with the clerk on duty at the time.

Fishinrev said:
Hi All,
A question for you. I do keep a paper copy of my Sophie's vaccination record in with all the other TT paperwork and so far, I've never been asked to produce it. No difference as I do have it with us anyway. However, I also keep a scan/picture of the document on my iPod that can be "blown up" to make it legible. Does anyone know if that iPod image would be acceptable to the powers that be? We're thinking of going to the Finger Lakes region of NY in 2015 and that info would be handy.
Thanks all and Happy Camping!
Mike

I was at three state parks in the Finger Lakes region, plus Letchworth and Hamlin Beach State Parks, on the Genessee River Gorge and Lake Ontario, respectively, all in the past month.  In every case, all the required was that I show the papers to the clerk, who then returned them.  Don't know about the iPod though.  [It was a wonderful trip, btw.]

Larry

I have cats.. Michigan law requires DOGS get their shots.. NOT so cats, One campground I stay at has a rule, if you have dogs, they have to see your papers, and in some cases your insurance policy (Liability, the more aggressive breeds, Frankly I think they should require that on a Mexican Hariless but.. Well.. (Way more likely to bite me)).

Some cat owners wined

So now Alex and Amber need to do the annual trip to the vet thing  .... NOTE: no law requires this, only the campground.

Do camphrounds require cats to have rabies papers also?  We are leaving on Sunday for a long trip and our cat does not have rabies papers.

ONE of the campgrounds I have stayed at did require them, they are part of a six campground chain so I suspect all six do (All in Michigan, Outdoor Adventures Inc) 

IN MIGHICAN state law requires Canines (Dogs and their female counterparts, dogs are MALE canines) have Rabies shots, but there is no such requriement for Cats... The campgrounds thus required proof of comliance with state law for "Dogs" (both sexes) and for some breeds proof of like half a million in liability insurance as well.

Well some folks wined "But you do not require papers for cats" (As I said state law requires for dogs) so instead of explaining it was a state law they now require for cats as well.. Idiots they are.

I seriously doubt you will ever staty at one of those Membership campgrounds though.

NONE of the oghter places I have parked, including State, Local, Federal and private (Membership and otherwise) parks have ever ask to see Kitty and Katty's papers (Amber and Alex if you want their real names).

I keep all of each cat's records in a 3 ring binder; all the records from the vets since we adopted them.  When we travel we take the binders with us in case we need to take them to a vet.

Attachments

• P2070003.JPG
    P2070003.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom