1990 coachmen catalina sport questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M

moosebrookfarm

Hi all -

*Very* new to RV'ing  here  ;D and new to rvforum.net   

My wife and I have been tentatively considering getting a used RV to cruise around Maine (where we live)/Southeast Canada/New England with our 2 kids (10 & 7) while they're still interested in doing such things but haven't done a lot of research at this point.  Driving around the other day I saw this 1990 Coachmen Catalina Sport on someones property with a For Sale sign.  I stopped and inspected it for general cosmetics (make sure it didn't smell like smoke/mold, wasn't super dirty) and water damage and it all looked very good considering.    There was what looked like rust stains on the shower floor but couldn't tell where that might be coming from (is the water tank typically metal on RV's? - i would have thought plastic) yet.    The odometer is showing 54K miles and the cab says Econoline 350 on it.    I briefly talked to the owner before I looked at it to make sure it was unlocked and confirmed it "runs".    It definitely needs new tires - they're passable for driving around but the treads are on the light side and yesterday I read that many people say you should change every 5-7 years.

Here's a similar (same floorplan sans the media center upper bed) model  - although this appears to be a Chevy not a Ford.
http://www.rvconsignment.com/motorhomepops/InsidePops/CoachmenCat90MH.htm

So a few questions to anyone who may know this model or a similar model.

1) Any thoughts on what mileage would be if the engine was running well?
2) Seeing that it's built on a truck chassis is it safe to assume a trusted mechanic can do a once over to help me determine if there are any major flaws?
3) Any other things i should be on the lookout for with this model?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, a truck or van mechanic can check out the chassis. Good plan!

We have RV buying checklists in the forum Library. Get one and verify all the appliances and systems carefully. Find a friend who has an RV to help.

MPG will be slim, maybe 7-10 if lucky. I'm guessing it is a carbureted engine, so maybe as little as 6. Fuel injection, even TBI, would be better.

We are in Trenton/Ellsworth for the summer. Where are you?

Thanks Gary!  Just found the checklist - definitely a big help and will drive back up after this rain stops in a few days and do a more thorough inspection of it.

I'm in the midcoast area.

Mike

Hi Mike, we have a 2000 Catalina 34 ft Diesel Pusher.  Coachmen make a decent entry level coach, with few frills or high end finishes.  The major components are stock throughout the industry, so the fridge, stove, head, furnace, etc will be the equal to many higher end rigs.  You likely will have to replace things like the mattresses, and maybe even the chairs or sofa, as they often will get a lot more use if previous owner(s) left the coach static for longer periods.
    We have only had minor problems with ours in the 7 years that we have owned it.

Ed

I've had no luck finding a owners manual for a 1990 Coachman Catalina 240 CB . Looked a number of websites including Coachmen. Can you give any thoughts where I can find a manual? Thank you

I don't know where you'd find a manual for the RV. But you can click the Resources button above and scroll down the menu to Owners/user manuals. for manuals on individual appliances or equipment.

Even if you found it, it likely would not help much. They are no where near as comprehensive as a car owner manual, and usually were generic to several models, or even years, of RV. More like a "welcome to Coachman" than actual operating instructions. I would not waste time looking further.

Ask questions here and use the information in the RVForum Library. We can help.

We have the same model but a 94.  A little different floor plan as ours has a rear kitchen which I love.  We took ours from michigan to Maine last fall and got 8mpg.  Two of us spent 3 weeks in it.  That was long enough in this small of a unit.  We love it for long weekends and an occasional week at a time.  Enjoy!

My 2000 Coachman Santana ( C-31 Ft) came with a huge manual,  over 3 inches thick.
Had all the manuals for all accessories and a few extra. It did not cover the drive train however.
The Ford book for that was the usual 4 x7 x 3/4" thick book.

Back
Top Bottom