New Mexico fly fishing- Red River or San Juan, Navajo Lake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viperfam4

Hi.  Newbie here.  :)  My family will be taking the RV on a 3 or 4 day fishing trip at the end of the month.  We just moved to New Mexico from Arizona and don't really know where to (try) to camp at and are at a loss for good fishing as well.  My husband wants to fly fish and my girls and I (they are 11 and 13) like to fish with a rod and reel.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  I started to book a spot at a campground at Navajo Lake State Park, but there are so many to choose from and I just don't have the time to research like I usually do.  I need to book something yesterday.  :)  We would prefer to stay somewhere no more than 3 hours from Albuquerque.  Can anyone help?

hit the san juan river just below Navajo dam, look up Abes, it is in the top 10 destinations for trophy trout in the US.  I have fished dozens of times.  Suggest you do a float with guide first time, flys are small 22-26 excellent fishing you wont have any regrets

I agree that the San Juan at Navajo Dam is a great trout river. The state park has a campground at the Lake  and another below the dam along the river. It is a fairly wide river and in my experience not that easy to fish from the bank.

The Red River is a much smaller river and in many places can be walked across. In the Red River area (Taos, Questa, Red River, Eagles Nest) there are several trout rivers ranging from large like the Rio Grande to small like the Red River, Cimarron and Rio Hondo.

There are commercial campgrounds in Red River, Taos, Questa and Eagles Nest. There are several Forest Service campgrounds along the Red River between Red River and Questa. There are campgrounds and dispersed camping areas in the Del Norte National Monument along the Rio Grande just West of Questa. There is a state park campground on Eagles Nest Lake and 3 along the Cimarron River. 

Here are some websites you might find helpful: Red River Fly Fishing, San Juan River Fly Fishing, New Mexico Fly Fishing, and New Mexico Fishing Report.

Hope you have a Great Time!!! Please leave some fish for us, we will be in New Mexico in September.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom