Rving with pet PIG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJTL

Isn't there anyone out there rving with a pig?
In checking rules and regulations in camps/resorts on-line, I don't see anything that would prohibit it.  Can anyone tell me otherwise?

Oh, and he is domesticated...  :)

Many private campgrounds rules state:"Domestic pets only."  You might have a problem with definitions. 

Some say "dogs or cats only."  Not very common, but I have seen it.

I would not let it stop me, but would call ahead to the campground to be sure. 
(record the name of the person you talked to.)

My understanding is that "pet" is defined as "a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection."

And "domestic animal," defined as "an animal, as the horse or cat, that has been tamed and kept by humans as a work animal, food source, or pet, especially a member of those species that have, through selective breeding, become notably different from their wild ancestors.

He fits both criteria!  :)

Jeff - Why "good luck?!"

I'm guessing folk are traveling with more than just cats and dogs... I just noticed a post or two referencing ferrets.

If one were in a park and found that their neighbor was accompanied by a pig, would one be likely to "notify" the management ... just because?  I guess that might be a better question - because the pig IS going with(!)

How would you react, as a guest in a park, if you were greeted by "Wilbur" instead of "Fido?"

Some may disagree but I would not volunteer the information, Piggy is not going to bark and probably not bite anyone. When they ask if you have a dog just say no and leave it at that. When they discover you have a pig Tell them its for breakfast and then look for another campground.

;D  I like your way of thinking, catblaster.  But I'm not looking to be dishonest.  "Wilbur" will also be accompanied by a small "Fido" and an indoor cat...

Oh and congratulations on the alternative pet and thanks for it not being a snake.  I bet he makes a great pet.  My Nephew has one he's raising, named him "Bacon"

He's the best!  No bother, at all.  Just lives to eat!  And graze... and lay out in the sun.  :)

CJTL said:
He's the best!  No bother, at all.  Just lives to eat!  And graze... and lay out in the sun.  :)

Yes I can just see you now at Indio outdoor resorts with your pet pig bathing in the sun.Too funny I must say

Funny...  :-[
This is actually, a serious question/situation. 
If your fellow traveller had a pig (and a rather well behaved one...) would it bother you?
Would you be scared?  Pissed off? (just because)
And would you be likely to "report" old "Wilbur?" b/c you don't consider him to be a "domestic pet?"

I have answered inquiries about pets at just about every CG we have stayed in and considering how many restrictions there are on cats and dogs I can just imagine the responses from many of these parks to a pig.

CJTL said:
If your fellow traveller had a pig (and a rather well behaved one...) would it bother you?
And would you be likely to "report" old "Wilbur?" b/c you don't consider him to be a "domestic pet?"
its funny to me because its ridiculous and naive  to think you could go to a RV resort and think nothing of having your pig lay around the lot basking in the sunlite
Iam laughing just trying to imagine this situation

Why?!
He just gets up in the morning.  Eats his breakfast. (Always before relieving himself b/c he just wants his breakfast!)
He'll mess around for a while, with his water bowl.  Go... when it suits him (and I, of course, pick his ***t up) and then he likes to "lay."
I wasn't implying, "by the pool...!"  Just at home.  By the rig.  Laying out.
Nobody bothers him?  He's not into bothering other folk.
Good enough?!

How would you react, as a guest in a park, if you were greeted by "Wilbur" instead of "Fido?"

That is/was, the real question. 
TY all, for your "helpful" advice.  When you come across THAT person with the piglet!  That'll be me.  :)

I guess I wanted to know (b/c I don't want to offend folk) how they might feel, being confronted with something a little different, a different sort of pet.  Good gosh!  This is America!
And yes.  I have a pig!

Thanks for sharing! 
When you see me & Wilbur, making our way around the U.S.?  Feel free to approach!  We're friendly! (actually, HE is probably friendlier than I!)

I did know a fellow that took his Vietnamese pot belly pig to the race track with him.  He had a ramp into the motorhome and he definetely loved his pet pig.

I have to admit that I found it to be rather unique.

And his pig caused no problems! 
"Unique?"  Hardly.  But TY for sharing.  Not "uniquely" normal.  :)
I still would like to know how people would feel about their neighboring RV-er, traveling with such...  :)

CJTL said:
My understanding is that "pet" is defined as "a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection."

And "domestic animal," defined as "an animal, as the horse or cat, that has been tamed and kept by humans as a work animal, food source, or pet, especially a member of those species that have, through selective breeding, become notably different from their wild ancestors.

He fits both criteria!  :)

It is not your definition , which is correct, but rather, the campground's definition that you need to worry about. 

They may define "domestic" as a dog or cat.  Do you really want to stand at the check-in counter and argue?  Not that is is going to do any good.  If the campground doesn't want to let you in, they won't.

I will repeat my suggestion to call first. 

CJTL said:
Personally I think it would be hilarious! I think my whole family would get a kick out of it. Having a pig in the campground or even right next door to me would not bother me unless the owners were letting it run wild, letting it do it's business on my site, etc. (just like any other type of animal).

To answer your question of how I would react to someone pulling in next to me with a pet pig, I would say that it would not bother me in the least.  I've had people pull in with a dog that barked all the time, or barked every time I came outside my RV, or even charged out at me until the chain stopped him from getting to me to bite me.  Those kind of pets are the kind I would object to, not a well mannered, quiet pet pig.  You are welcome any time to park next to me.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom