Rving with pet PIG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dan Walters said:
To answer your question of how I would react to someone pulling in next to me with a pet pig, I would say that it would not bother me in the least.  I've had people pull in with a dog that barked all the time, or barked every time I came outside my RV, or even charged out at me until the chain stopped him from getting to me to bite me.  Those kind of pets are the kind I would object to, not a well mannered, quiet pet pig.  You are welcome any time to park next to me.

Dan
X2 I would be curious and want to meet Wilbur. I have never lived/worked on a farm, so I  am not familiar with animals that typically live there. My brother is crazy about pigs. He "talks" to them! ;D

Punomatic, I too, have never lived/worked on a farm!  And knew little about actually owning a pig, other than the research I had done, prior to getting my "little" boy!

And like your brother... I talk to my little guy too!  ;D

CJTL said:
Punomatic, I too, have never lived/worked on a farm!  And knew little about actually owning a pig, other than the research I had done, prior to getting my "little" boy!

And like your brother... I talk to my little guy too!  ;D
I think most people myself included totally understand you and what your saying here, its just you will have to understand its just not accepted at any decent RV type resort.Thats all some of us trying to say.it just wont be accepted(pet pig) for various reasons and  that should be pretty understandable for most

I personally hope that we DO end up neighbors one day.  My grandkids would be so excited!  I'd rather park next to a friendly pig than an obnoxious dog.  How big an animal are we talking about here?  Our old babysitter had a Vietnamese PB pig that grew to be enormous!  I'd guess over 180 lbs at least.  I've also seen little pet pigs the size of Arnold Ziffel.  (Remember him?  He was the second-smartest character on the set of Green Acres!) 
As for the campgrounds, don't let them slow you down.  Come up with an obscure dog breed, and no matter what, insist that is what your pet is.  How about a 'Porkshire Hamhound'?  If you don't acknowledge that it's not a dog, what could they say?

redbarber said:
I personally hope that we DO end up neighbors one day.  My grandkids would be so excited!  I'd rather park next to a friendly pig than an obnoxious dog.  How big an animal are we talking about here?  Our old babysitter had a Vietnamese PB pig that grew to be enormous!  I'd guess over 180 lbs at least.  I've also seen little pet pigs the size of Arnold Ziffel.  (Remember him?  He was the second-smartest character on the set of Green Acres!) 
As for the campgrounds, don't let them slow you down.  Come up with an obscure dog breed, and no matter what, insist that is what your pet is.  How about a 'Porkshire Hamhound'?  If you don't acknowledge that it's not a dog, what could they say?

second smartest? how about first(haha) miss that old show. 

I had a pet Rooster that showed up in our camp ground in Yuma last spring. 

Perhaps I will bring a hen this time if you will bring your pig and we can have breakfast some morning.  We would each contribute paart of the meal.  Of course your poor little pig would have to be totally committed to the enterprise.

Here is a picture of Rusty last spring.  Unfortunately he made the ultimate sacrifice to help a Bobcat survive another day and perhaps feed her kittens.

Alas poor Rusty I knew him well, he woke us each morning at 0500 hrs.

Tom...

Attachments

• Rusty 003.JPG
    Rusty 003.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 11
This is actually, a serious question/situation. 
If your fellow traveler had a pig (and a rather well behaved one...) would it bother you?
Would you be scared?  Pissed off? (just because)
And would you be likely to "report" old "Wilbur?" b/c you don't consider him to be a "domestic pet?"

A pig probably wouldn't bother me at all, especially when compared to some of the "barkers" to which we've been subjected.  Actually pigs, especially little ones, can be really fun to watch.  You should see Jerry (yeah, that guy) try to catch a piglet!  ;D  Pigs may snuff around but they don't bark.  I guess the loudest they get is a squeal when scared.  They're not scary either.  I suppose if it were a bad tempered attack pig that might change my mind, but not one who is well behaved and just likes to laze around in the sun.  I wouldn't report anyone's pet unless it was a problem, however, I imagine everyone in the campground would know he's there because a pig would be different.  By the way, do you walk him on a leash?  And do you have a portable fence in which he can sun himself?  Whether it's a dog or a cat or a pig, you will need to control where he can go.  A child might run up to a pig so a fence would be useful to keep them apart unless owner and parents agree to some petting.

ArdraF

Aw, redbarber... you're too sweet!  He was supposed to be a maximum of 20-25lbs.  However, he last weighed in at a svelte 98lbs (give or take a few!  ::))  LOL.

He is no bother at all.  Just only ever wants to be fed.  He lives to eat...  :)
He certainly wouldn't be waking anyone up at 5am!!!

And Tom - we can do breakfast.  But "Wilbur" will be expecting his OWN portion of the bacon you will be supplying!

As already pointed out, I would take a domesticated pig over a yapping dog any day. As you know, they are very clean animals. I fear your biggest obstacle would be prejudices at campgrounds where they don't want the "Clampetts" disturbing their premises. I would completely enjoy a pig in a site next to mine. I'm sure he/she gets quite a bit of attention. 

CJTL:

Just for your information, the following was lifted directly from the Florida State Park website: "Captive wild species, whether native or non-native, and barnyard animals, except horses, are not allowed."

RE: Your second question: Would I mind?  Heck no!.  If you are ready to answer questions, I would want to know all about camping with a pet pig.  You certainly do not see this often.

Would not bother me a bit, I'd be curious and pester you with questions. But, as everybody knows, there is always someone nearby, just looking for something to be upset about.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom