MAC Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have three Apples and have used them for years with no problem.  I have a PC, that is a different story.

BruceinFL said:
Got a Macbook Pro. Playing with it now and trying to figure it out. :}
Congratulation on selecting a fine system. I have multiple Windows and Mac systems to choose from but one of my MacBook Pros is my go-to machine for daily use and the one I take with me when travelling. Good choice.

To date, there have only been two known viruses for Mac OS X.  Both required user interaction to make it happen.
There have been Java and Flash exploits, which are cross-platform, but no virus detection in the world stopped it.  You had to update Java or Flash.

Pre-OS X, yes, there were viruses.  Mostly infected Microsoft Office. WDEF infected the hidden desktop files in OS 9 and earlier.  Files that don't exist in OS X.  I think when OS X first came out, the number of viruses for the Mac, including Office related ones, was right around 500.  Compare that to Windows which was in the 10,000's at the time.  Word Macro viruses still exist, but Microsoft detects Macros and gives the user the option to run them or not.

Like many have said, you have to be cautious yourself when browsing.  Browser plugins can be rammed in, but on the Mac it will ask you for your password to make that happen, except in the case of ad-bars and search-bars.  However, it should be noted that those plugins will only effect the current user, and not the entire Mac, and they don't require anti-malware software to remove.  Just throw them in the trash.

The bigger threat to the Mac is the fact that it is a UNIX based system and since many servers are Linux/UNIX based, bad-hackers try to hammer on them using SSH to try to log in.  Obviously, this is a bigger threat to Macs that are always online than others like Laptops.

We have Macs, PC's, hackintoshes, Apple tablets, Nook Android hacks, chrom OS, and several Linux systems.  (I'm a retired geek)  Everything has some kind of virus protection except the PC that is not on the network, and the Linux boxes.  No banking gets done on Linux.

Are you willing to gamble your financial security on the Apple virus myth?  I'm not.

I believe Java on the Mac has the same vulnerabilities as any other platform.

8Muddypaws said:
Are you willing to gamble your financial security on the Apple virus myth?  I'm not.
Apparently lots of people believe the Macs are not vulnerable theory. Some people think OS X has only had two viruses ever. Here is an article listing the top ten OS X viruses:

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/295168-the-ten-most-dangerous-mac-viruses

But when the typical Mac owner does get a virus he tries to blame it on Java or Windows or anything but Apple.  ::)

SeilerBird said:
Apparently lots of people believe the Macs are not vulnerable theory. Some people think OS X has only had two viruses ever. Here is an article listing the top ten OS X viruses:

But when the typical Mac owner does get a virus he tries to blame it on Java or Windows or anything but Apple.  ::)
It is true that there is a 'degree' of vulnerability but, as the article you linked to states: "Mac infections are so rare that for many of us who switch to OS X after years on a PC with Windows, it kind of feels like you're on a trip to Disneyworld: the OS is fun, clean, and safe."

The inherent risk is reduced further by virtue of malware protection built into the (free) operating system.

The point is, I can operate a Mac for years, without third party protection, and it is unlikely I'll experience malware issues. It is unlikely that I can use an unprotected Windows box for a single day of web browsing without becoming infected with something. No the Mac is not totally immune but the risk is so low that it is not a major issue as long as you are smart about keeping your OS current and follow basic safe computing practices.

Daddo said:
The point is, I can operate a Mac for years, without third party protection, and it is unlikely I'll experience malware issues. It is unlikely that I can use an unprotected Windows box for a single day of web browsing without becoming infected with something.
I have been using Windows since 1988, never used antimalware and never used antivirus. I have never gotten any malware or a virus. If you follow the rules you will never get infected. On the other hand i did get something on my Android phone last week and I had to reinstall the OS on the phone. So I am no longer a virgin.

I don't have anything bad to say about Apple's hardware.  It's amazingly tough.  My DW is tough on laptops but her MacBook Air has been up to the task (So far).  On the other hand it cost 4X more than a comparable PC. 

IMHO Apple is missing the boat by not selling OS-X to the Wintel folks.  They could charge almost any price for a version built for non-Apple hardware.  Building a Hackintosh is surprisingly easy if you have time to burn and are even slightly geeky.  http://www.cultofmac.com/?s=hackintosh

OTOH there are versions of Linux that are nearly as good as OS-X.  Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop is my favorite, followed by Ubuntu Studio.  But I would not recommend any Linux version to a non-technical person because eventually it will require 'manual administration'.  If you're willing to learn it's a good FREE choice.

You know, you just can't despel the myth that apples are immune to viruses.  People will cling to it until the day their bank account vanishes.  Yet if you google 'Apple Virus' you'll soon find out different.  Apple's OWN computers have been hacked and infiltrated.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/02/20/yes-apple-really-does-have-a-serious-problem-with-computer-viruses-and-malware/

"The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and I'm
not even too sure about that one"
-- Dennis Huges, FBI.

SeilerBird said:

If you also notice, every single one of those requires admin privileges.  They install something into the Applications folder, which means the user would have to type in a admin password to install, even if they are an admin, it will still ask for the password.  If they are not an admin on the computer, then the user would need to have admin user name and password.

If you are asked for your admin password when trying to view JPG images and you actually type it in, well, you get what you get.

And, IMHO, any exploit in JAVA or FLASH is not the fault of the computer's OS.  JAVA is crazy un-secure, which is why now you have to click 1-2 times extra and maybe even have to add the site to the trusted list to even use the JAVA.  Adobe does what it can to update flash.  IMHO, the world would be a better place without flash anyway.  However, it should be pointed out that even the exploits of JAVA and FLASH are limited to the current user on a Mac or Windows 7 *IF* the user is not logged in as an admin. Even as admin, on the Mac it will ask for a password, on Windows it will give you a yes/no dialog.

8Muddypaws said:
I don't have anything bad to say about Apple's hardware.  It's amazingly tough.  My DW is tough on laptops but her MacBook Air has been up to the task (So far).  On the other hand it cost 4X more than a comparable PC. <snip>
Which "comparable" laptop are you thinking of that is only $250 to $325 dollars?

A MacBook Air cost $999 to $1299 and I personally can't think of any that are comparable. Yes, there are a few ultra thin and ultra light Windows based laptops available now but to be "comparable" you have to look at far more than simply the package. The MacBook Air comes with a full operating system and a full suite of software. To use a Windows box on your office network you have to upgrade to Windows Prof. You get a complete uncrippled OS from Apple and when its time for the next major update, the Mac OS is free. The there is Microsoft Office, which most will need to use their Windows laptop effectively. That software suite is not cheap either whereas the Mac software suite is free.

Yes, Mac's are more costly but hardly "4X more than a comparable PC" and having used both extensively and developing globally successful products for both platforms I finally gave up the frustrating work of Windows so I grew to fully appreciate the difference between working on a Windows PC and getting work done on a Mac.

I'm in the process of switching from PC to Mac and could sure use some suggestions on where to go for help, tutorials, youtube, etc. Somehow, my brain isn't switching over the way I thought it would. I use an iphone and an ipad so I figured it would be super easy to pick up the MacBook Pro but it's not. Help !!

Wendy

I was graphic arts instructor at a local community college for 22 years. Our labs were and still our Mac based. We have never  installed anti-virus software in any of our 6 labs. We also have never had any issue with viruses. I have personally owned a Mac since 1984 with no virus protection. Never any virus issues on my personal computer.

Wendy, I bought my MacPro at the Apple Store. They were amazing. After your purchase they set you up and walk you through every step of the way. I would strongly recommend to find a store and go that way. After a couple of tutorials it is plain sailing all the way for me.

Wendy said:
I'm in the process of switching from PC to Mac and could sure use some suggestions on where to go for help, tutorials, youtube, etc. Somehow, my brain isn't switching over the way I thought it would. I use an iphone and an ipad so I figured it would be super easy to pick up the MacBook Pro but it's not. Help !!

Wendy

The Apple Store in your area should offer workshops for Discovering your Mac. Not sure of the cost.  If you go to the Apple site and search mac basics there are some tutorials there. You also might try the local community colleges. Sometimes they have classes to learn the Mac. Here's a link that might help:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-free-mac-manual/

Wendy said:

Wendy
Wendy,

I just came across a free web resource today that may be of assistance. It is a collection of tutorial videos on a variety of topic including some on general Mac usage.

Go to PC Classes Online and click on the button to sign up. It requires your basic contact information and instruction. They email you a password that allows you access to all their tutorials. I signed up today to verify it is free, like they say, and I got the password about an hour later and tried out some of their videos. They appear to be well done and they are totally free.

In the past I have used the vast library of tutorial videos available on Lynda.com but that is a pay-to-use service costing $25/month. When I need to get up to speed quickly on a new app I have used their service and cancelled before the end of the month so I pay for only the $25. On the possitive side, Lynda.com has a huge library on just about any topic and you can watch as many as you want in the paid for time period.

Though less professional done, you can also simply search on YouTube for Mac video tutorials. Some may be good and other less so.

You are right though, in that the Mac does approach things differently. Soon you'll get through the initial learning curve and your mind starts looking at things differently and it will come naturally after that.

1973 Bug?  I've still got a 1969 gathering dust in the garage.

I've expressed my opinion based upon the facts as I see them.  If you don't think you need virus protection then by all means don't install it.  It's your computer to do with as you please.

Her Air was $1299 at the time we bought it.  We were looking at an Asus dual core that I could have picked up for just over $300.  Was it a metal case?  No.  But it had a faster processor, more disk, and W7 Pro.  Do I regret getting her the air?  No way!  She's dropped it enough times that a plastic case would be in ten pieces by now.  She's happy with it, and that makes me happy.  I don't have to fix it, especially broken power connectors!  (Love the mag-safe connector!)

My Hackintosh is a 3.2 Ghz quad core with 8Gigs of ram, a very high end video card, and about 8TB of disk, it varies.  At the time I built it it cost me around $800, including the W7 Ultimate OS it also runs.  (To be fair I got the Ultimate OS at Microsoft employee prices). At the time Apple had nothing that even came close power wise and they wanted $3700 for what they did have.  That's more than 4X.  I did it because it really disturbed my brother-in-law, Apple's #1 fanboy.

I use an iPad and iPhone about 90% of the time. 

Professionally I've used IBM, Sun, HP, Pyramid, Hitachi, Unisys, Burroughs, Apple, SGI, Intel and probably a dozen more than I don't remember anymore.  So many operating systems and languages!  To survive 44 contiguous years in software design, development and support one needs to be 'flexible'.

If one gets hung up on a specific hardware set, or a specific OS, or any specific technology, one is not going to survive in the biz for long.  Of necessity I was a perpetual student for most of my career.  Not so much since I've retired.  I've been offered jobs based upon what I did last (Oracle/Seibel/Java Script) but I don't need or want to work 70 hour weeks ever again.  I do volunteer IT work for for a couple of non-profits and find what I enjoy most is building and fixing hardware.

In as little as 10 years will we even recognize a computer as a computer?  Can't wait to find out!

Thanks for the tips. I'll try out the links. Visiting an Apple store won't work for me, the nearest one is 250 miles away.

Wendy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom