Grants Pass-Crater Lake-Umpqua Scenic Byway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are traveling through Oregon this comping August, in a 25' motorhome and with three kids. After staying the night in Grants Pass, we were thinking of driving up to Crater Lake, and then taking the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway to Reedsport.
We're mostly looking forward to taking short hikes to the many waterfalls of the Scenic Byway, but if we're in the area, it seems to make sense to visit Crater Lake as well. However, if anyone can help me with a few questions it'll be much appreciated -

- The first day will be driving North-West on 62 to Crater Lake, and then up to camp on  the shores of Diamond Lake (Broken Arrow campground). The second will be driving North-East on 138 and 38 to Reedsport, and then further north to campy at Jessie M. Honeyman State Park.
Is it plausible to do this trip in two days, without rushing it too much?

- Is it possible to drive up and around Crater Lake's Rim drive in a 25' rig, South to North? This is our first time in an RV (our seventh day driving it), and the road seems kind of scary. Or perhaps we should skip the lake? It seems the views will be amazing, but I'm not sure there's much else to do around Crater Lake to keep the kids occupied.

Thanks in advance,
  Adam

we visited crater ake last year (but only with a van). but roads are wide enough and there were lots of trailers/rvs. and you have to see the lake, it is amazing :).

Is it plausible to do this trip in two days, without rushing it too much?

No. Slow down and and smell the roses. You can do the drive to Diamond Lake, stay overnight, and then go to Crater Lake the next day. We just left there this morning.

- Is it possible to drive up and around Crater Lake's Rim drive in a 25' rig, South to North?

It depends. If you are along the wall of the rim...south to south...starting out going west...it IS doable, but not for the feint of heart. We drove it the other way yesterday in a car. Many parts of the rim road have no guardrails and the deteriorating asphalt is inches from drops up to 1500 feet. By doing the wall side though, it will be safer for an inexperienced rv driver, but you will miss lots of gorgeous views. The entire 33 mile trip takes up to 3 or 4 hours depending on how many of the 30+ pullouts you stop to get a closer look. There are some construction delays while you wait for a pilot car. Total of about a half hour sitting.

Stan

Thanks for that info Stan.  We will be at Crater Lake on Sunday & Monday, the 10th & 11th, before going to Redmond.  We have a toad and I was wondering how long it takes to go around the lake.  I was 12 the last time I was there! Thnaks for the info.

Steve

Here's a good shot of the lake from the air, did this on my last road trip fly USN (TACAMO modified 707)

Jim

Attachments

• 1936389_1160439021394_6920504_n.jpg
    1936389_1160439021394_6920504_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 33
We were just at Crater Lake last month. It's spectacular. And there's more to do than just look at the lake - there's the Junior Ranger program, hiking, boat tours, and, yes, a waterfall ! We saw lots of RVs on the road in a variety of sizes but parking is VERY limited at the more popular pullouts, especially for bigger rigs.

Back
Top Bottom