Winterizing - yet usin'..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwcoopusa

Onc't you read this, you all will realize how little I know 'bout RV's, but I'm noticing that folks hereabouts are eager to help and not flame dummies like me, so here goes.......

I bought a '94 Avion to use as a "guest house" for a lady who is staying with my 95 y.o. mother-in-law during the day.  Our winters here in the 4 Corner region of NM generally aren't too severe, but can get a tad chilly.

LSS - any tips on making sure the 5w is livable during the winter?  Hopefully, it'll get some road time in the future, as my '06 Duramax is sittin' on ready, it is.  But for now, it's a stationary residence.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(I DO know enuf' to wrap the supply water hose with heat wrap!  Learned that from living in a trailer house for more years than I like to remember......)

-jwcoopusa-

jwcoopusa-

I'm noticing that folks hereabouts are eager to help and not flame

Won't ever happen on the RV Forum, we're pleased to meet newcomers to RVing and to help you become acquainted with the lifestyle.

tips on making sure the 5w is livable during the winter

Others will probably think of additional points, but my first thought is to verify the integrity of the furnace, and propane system.  If you feel more heat may be needed, then 110 VAC ceramic heaters can be used to augment the heat.

Are the windows double pane?  If not there is a chance of condensation, which would require leaving a roof vent cracked open and allowing the air to change periodically.

If cold outdoor temps last a while, cabinets should be opened to prevent condensation from forming inside the cabinets.

Your water hose idea is a good one.

What will you do about dumping the holding tanks?

Does the furnace heat the basement storage compartments?  If not a 110VAC light bulb should be sufficient to add a bit of heat, or another ceramic cube heater.

You may wish to provide your guest an electric blanket as well.

If you plan to travel with your Avion, have the wheel bearings been lubricated recently?

Any Canadian will no more about this subject than I, but I would suggest getting a local propane service to spot a decent sized stand-alone propane tank, so that the lady will not have to sweat out running out of propane at 3am.

Carl Lundquist said:
Any Canadian will no more about this subject than I, but I would suggest getting a local propane service to spot a decent sized stand-alone propane tank, so that the lady will not have to sweat out running out of propane at 3am.

Maybe I'm bein' a pest, and I know this question is very open-ended, but how long will a 70 gal. propane tank last in cold weather?  Maybe if I could just get some examples of what other folks get when they set their thermostats @ about 68 degrees...............

(Yeah, I know.  Askin' this is like askin' what kind of mileage my Duramax gets, huh?)

Gee.  You guys are bringin' up stuff I hadn't even thought of............................

Thanks, fellers!

-gdr-

I'm not familiar with winter in AZ but if as you say it's chilly but not like we would see in Eastern Canada, then if you get a large tank plus fill the tanks on the coach as backups you might get through the winter months, especially if you augment the heating with a couple of ceramic heaters.

I don't believe you mentioned the length of your Avion;  we use two ceramic heaters in our 40 foot motorhome in Central Florida and never have to use the furnace, except for maybe one or two nights in late December.

Does the hot water heater on your Avion have an electric element in addition to propane?  If it does, then your propane consumption would be very low.

Maybe I'm bein' a pest, and I know this question is very open-ended, but how long will a 70 gal. propane tank last in cold weather?  Maybe if I could just get some examples of what other folks get when they set their thermostats @ about 68 degrees...............

Check with the propane dealer in the area.  I suspect he might have a pretty good idea.  Yours will probably not be the only trailer/mobile home he services.

Try to find out the Propane dealer servicing the nearest RV park to you.  They come around and if they see the Orange card in the window they fill the tank and leave the bill.If you do get the 70# Bottlle, always have a 20#er set aside just in case of emergency  cold spell,  Also make sure you get a gauge for your tanks.  Good Luck

how often does it freeze and for how long, is it just at nite and only now and then, or does it freeze for long peroid of time?                                                                                         

slumbert55 said:
how often does it freeze and for how long, is it just at nite and only now and then, or does it freeze for long peroid of time?

The Four Corners Country is at 6000 feet.  It is on the Colorado Plateau.  It can get snow.

Carl Lundquist said:
The Four Corners Country is at 6000 feet.? It is on the Colorado Plateau.? ?It can get snow.

Altitude here in the Four Corners varies quite a bit. We're in Cortez at 6200 feet. Farmington is lower and warmer and doesn't freeze nearly as much as we do. Then there's Dolores (elevation 6900) which is also considered 4-Corners and gets way colder with lots more snow than we do 10 miles away. Elevation and terrain (mountains, canyon, mesa top, flatlands, etc.) play a large part in the temps around these parts. We sure can and do get snow.....one of the reasons to live here.

Carl Lundquist said:
The Four Corners Country is at 6000 feet.? It is on the Colorado Plateau.? ?It can get snow.
that said your biggest problem is the holding tanks if they are not heated -bad- i have seen heater kits to install on the bottom of the tanks but have never done one, i am sure someone here has and will help you out. the problem with the windows can be solved with a window insulation kit you can get that at any home improvement place this will stop most condensation problems. the other thing is to insulate the shore power door and any outside compartment doors as they will not be insulated

We were at Mesa Verde in May 2004 and although it started out as a nice day, when we left the far end of the park, it was just starting to snow.  By the time we got off the mesa to the park entrance, we were in a nearly complete whiteout and had over an inch of wet snow on the car.

Ned said:
We were at Mesa Verde in May 2004 and although it started out as a nice day, when we left the far end of the park, it was just starting to snow.? By the time we got off the mesa to the park entrance, we were in a nearly complete whiteout and had over an inch of wet snow on the car.

Welcome to southwest Colorado and our usual weather.....that being no pattern whatsoever.

When visiting Mesa Verde, it's always wise to keep in mind that the south end of the park, where the ruins are, is lower in elevation than the north end where you exit the park down a steep, curvy road.

Back
Top Bottom