Gas Milage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotlake

Ford Super Duty E450 Winnebago C Class with 460 engine.

I just bought this RV and drove it home from LA to San Francisco.

My question is how could I get 14.1 mpg on that trip.  I had two flats on the way and had to run generator and engine to stay cool while waiting for AAA.  I also had someone check my milage for me to confirm my mpg.  Gas tank, water tank, black and gray tanks were filled before I left LA.  I had my tools and other items loaded in the RV.

I thought most everyone only got 6 to 8 mpg with the Ford 460 engine.  I am not complaining .... just would like to continue getting that mpg in the future.

Well Pinocchio.....It was probably downhill all the way with a hurricane for a tail wind..........lol

welcome to the forum

my advice..... don't ever calculate it again and just run with it!

.....And nice job drafting behind the semis! ;D

I just started a spreadsheet for my new Thor 31L.  Don't have enough data to get a good feel for it yet, but so far it looks like just over 8MPG (8.1MPG), assuming the generator hours are all 50% load and assuming that the book is correct about the genny's fuel burn rate.....

The Ford 460 isn't all that bad and I would expect 7-10 mpg, depending on conditions.  You can't tell all that much by one trip and one fill-up, so keep the fuel consumption data over several trips and see how it averages out.

Or, as Brad suggests, just congratulate yourself on the great coach you bought and don't ever calculate mpg again!

Wowsa!  Congrats on those mpgs; I just wrapped up a 2500 mile trip with my class C F45 w/a 460 and 8.5 mpgs was the average.  I had a flat (probably drove 200+ miles with extra drag as the tire went down) and always had a headwind so with the right conditions I hope to get those numbers. 

Everyone here lies through their teeth about the mileage they get on their rigs.  Makes us all feel that we are not as bad suckers as we really are.  ;)

scotlake said:
Ford Super Duty E450 Winnebago C Class with 460 engine.

I just bought this RV and drove it home from LA to San Francisco.

My question is how could I get 14.1 mpg on that trip.  I had two flats on the way and had to run generator and engine to stay cool while waiting for AAA.  I also had someone check my milage for me to confirm my mpg.  Gas tank, water tank, black and gray tanks were filled before I left LA.  I had my tools and other items loaded in the RV.

I thought most everyone only got 6 to 8 mpg with the Ford 460 engine.  I am not complaining .... just would like to continue getting that mpg in the future.
I wonder if the fuel tank was really totally filled when you did the refill. Let us know what your MPG is the next time. I bet it's a lot worse. The gas nozzle probably clicked off before the tank was filled. Has happened to me too.

I could believe 11 MPG at the very best with ideal conditions from LA to SF. But 14.1? No way, IMO, with a Ford 460. Not even in a car @ 45 MPH!

-Don-  South San Francisco, CA

FreddyS said:
Everyone here lies through their teeth about the mileage they get on their rigs. 
Not everyone. I don't care about my gas mileage so I have never computed my mileage so therefore I could never lie about it. Life is too short to worry about gas mileage. If you are going to buy an RV and worry about gas mileage you have chosen the wrong hobby.

I like to keep a book with every vehicle, fuel in one section on right hand page, a few trip notes on the left, engine maintenance in another section, house maintenance (RV only), etc. Not just for my info, but a powerful sales tool as well.

Then you can really get a feel for fuel usage.

SeilerBird said:
Not everyone. I don't care about my gas mileage so I have never computed my mileage so therefore I could never lie about it. Life is too short to worry about gas mileage. If you are going to buy an RV and worry about gas mileage you have chosen the wrong hobby.
I care more about the range on a tank, but to figure that out, besides needing to know the size of the fuel tank, the average MPG must be known.

-Don-  SSF, CA

I keep a very close account of my fuel useage! When the gauge gets to 1/2 full (or empty) I start looking for a place to buy gas!. 

I filled my RV yesterday using bonus points gained by shopping at a local store, saving $1.10 per gallon. Nice.

I am new to forums so im not sure im posting correctly. I just purchased a 40ft 2005 American Tradition with a 370hp cummins engine.  I wanted to know if anyone had a similar setup and could tell me what kind of fuel mileage to expect. Ill be towing an 08' jeep wrangler that weighs about 3700lbs. And if anyone knows of any problems or situations I may run into, that info would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks so much for any input.

holamon4 said:
I am new to forums so im not sure im posting correctly. I just purchased a 40ft 2005 American Tradition with a 370hp cummins engine.  I wanted to know if anyone had a similar setup and could tell me what kind of fuel mileage to expect. Ill be towing an 08' jeep wrangler that weighs about 3700lbs. And if anyone knows of any problems or situations I may run into, that info would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks so much for any input.

you will read posts where people will claim 8.5 or nine but in reality if you see 7.5 be happy. Really depends on speeds,wind type of terrain ,total weight
etc. Drive it down a flat freeway at 60MPH and you will see.8.5 but each time you go up a hill or small mountain you will see 3-4 so  usually figure a 370HP
will give you 7.7.5  in real world figures. That heavy a MH with only 370HP will be acceptable on flat land areas but will suck power wise in mountain passes

I have the 4 slide 40ft 425ISL towing a 3700lb toad and through mountains etc I get 7-7.5 and on flat freeways I get 8.5  I drive 60-65

My gas guage only has four level notches---
1. Full---everything's ready to go.
2. Half tank---start to think about fueling up.
3. Third of a tank--start looking for gas stations.
4. Forth of a tank--better be in a gas station fueling up.

Thats it.  Don't worry about milage, don't care about milage.  It is what it is, and I knew that when I bought a big 7 ton box on wheels.
If I wanted to save money, I'd be driving an itty bitty teeny weeny car and staying at Motel 6, and eating at a BOGO fast food restraunt.
Grumpy

holamon4 said:
As a frame of reference, our motorhome is 43 feet long with a 450 HP Cummins - 1250 ft lbs of torque. We're towing an Acura MDX, which weighs in at about 5000 lbs with fuel and we're averaging 6.7 MPG at 60 MPH with the cruise-control. To non-RVrs, that may not seem very good, but when you consider that my 6000 lb Chevy Tahoe with a 350 CI engine gets 16 MPG, it's pretty remarkable that my 43,000 lb RV (plus toad), gets 6.7 MPG. Based on how you've described your setup, you'll probably see about 7 MPG at 60 MPH.

Having said all that, I'm with Grumpy. I didn't buy this thing for mileage. It takes us places in great comfort. Life is short.

Kev

The two flats were because I did not look at the date stamps in LA.  In retrospect....I should have bought 6 new tires before I left LA.  Filled up at Costco in AM and filled up again next day in AM......and I really topped off the tank.

I will take a pic next time lol.....oh and a lot of damage to the mint condition RV from the two blow outs.

Left side tire blow out took out gas filler tube, lock cylinder from gas cap and the recessed gas fillersupport.....Bent 3 propane lines, knocked off the pipe stub outlet for the gray water tank, wheel well metal insert with mud flap ( jammed it against tire ) and the air lines for the air bladders and the plastic wheel well apron  :mad:

Right side blow out took out air bladder air line and filler, wheel well metal piece with mud flap and broke plastic wheel wheel apron.

Both sides of RV have substantial rubber scuffs and marks requiring a repaint......I am really pissed at my stupidity.

Word to the wise ........ check those tire dates

I have a 33' ClassA with the 460. I have the Banks Power Pack and the best I've gotten is 8.4mpg with 7.4 being my average. The only way that you could get 14mpg with a 460 would be if it were in a Mustang.....

On our last trip to Yosemite, I filled up at Costco on the way. This was right after we installed our Banks Power Pack and I was shocked :eek: when I calculated 9.6mpg on that fill up. I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that the Costco pump must have automatically shut off at $150. I went and filled up the next morning and took another 24G...... boy did I feel stupid  :-[. I ended up with 7.8mpg with that fill up (a lot of mountain driving).

Oh..... I forgot to mention..... my gas gauge is broken....  ::).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom