Gas Milage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arch Hoagland said:
26 fill up's this year?  Holy cow how many miles did you go?
So far this year 9309 but we are going down to the coast after the first of the month to a rally in Conroe Texas. Now I don't wait till empty to look for fuel I usually start around 1/2 tank. So it looks like more.
Bill

RTsRV:
Are you sure your 2960 only has a 60 gallon tank?  I looked at the archived info for your rig, but fuel caps were not listed, however, the "99" model year 2960 has an 80 gallon listed.  That is also what is listed for the 2000 model year.  That is the same size as my 3270.

SacsTC?
No, I am not sure it has only a 60 gallon fuel tank.
I just reviewed their brochure and it doesn't say how big it is.
I thought I remembered the dealer say it was 60 but I might have that wrong.
Anyway, the volume of the fuel tank doesn't change the MPG I experienced.
I will have to look into that spec.
Thanks for the heads up.

RTsRV

I bet if you refuel at 1/2 tank and it takes 30-35 gal to fill it it's a 60 gal tank 40-45 it's an 80 gallon tank. The only reason it would matter is so you can plan your fuel stops. That is the main reason I watch my mileage and Gas Buddy. Can I make it to the state line where the price is better.
Bill

Just sold my 1991 Dodge Roadtrek Versatile with a 360 no towing. with 2 adults and 2 girls 23 & 16., not due to MPG but not tollerable enough for 4. On my last trip to Michigan (2,000 miles) Through the smokies twice (There and back) got the following
#1 Fillup 14.8 #2 Fillup 14.8 #3 Fillup 13.5 (stop and go) # 4 fillup 15.7 # 5 fillup 14.7. Not bad. I did drive through the night both ways as to avoid heavy traffic and average speed I'd estimate was around 67 mpg. (mountains anywhere from 60-80 mph).
I'm an avid MPg checker even with every vehicle I've owned since 1981. Have a list of averages. Little anal about it. I fill up drive fillup chek the miles driven divide that number by gallons used. I do not rely on computer generated mileage readouts they have on the newer models. My Nissan Versa is showing an avergae of 3 more mpg (on the digital readout) than i'm actually getting.
Oh and both ways there and back weather was nice and not real windy either way.

DonTom said:
I wonder if the fuel tank was really totally filled when you did the refill. Let us know what your MPG is the next time. I bet it's a lot worse. The gas nozzle probably clicked off before the tank was filled. Has happened to me too.

I could believe 11 MPG at the very best with ideal conditions from LA to SF. But 14.1? No way, IMO, with a Ford 460. Not even in a car @ 45 MPH!

-Don-  South San Francisco, CA
not so, my dad could squeeze 17 mpg out of his 71 and 72 Lincolns @ 55 mph on the highway of course

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 37F towing a tandem tow dolly with a 2013 BMW R1200RT motorcycle and a 2012 Fiat 500C......6.76 MPG over the last 4000 miles with 12.5 hrs. of lightly loaded generator.

Since everything that I own in this world is either in, on, or behind my rig, the fuel expended seems a somewhat reasonable amount of money to pay to ocassionally completely relocate myself.

I had figured mine a couple of times and thought I was wrong, Tom did too, looks like on the old 92 Eagle towing a car I get near 9, that's if I run around 65.  Will check a few more times and see what I come up with.  I would say varies between 8 and 9.

On my 7000mi tour around the country this past summer using Good Sams gps in the maintenance section fuel, we logged every fuel stop which gives the place, price per gal, and quantity and then two figures: the mileage for that fuel stop and the overall mileage from the beginning of the journey.  Overall was 10.0mpg. To be fair that includes unhitched too. The Chevy trip average fuel mileage says 16.5 unhitched and 11.5 to 9.5 hitched.  Way more miles hitched than were logged around town. I do have a Diablo T1000 tuner using 60hp unhitched and 40hp hitched.

There are so many factors that contribute to fuel economy that simply posting your vehicles mileage without a bunch of other data is meaningless.  How fast we accelerate and stop significantly impacts mileage.  Other difficult to pin down factors include altitude, ambient temperatures, gas blends, mechanical condition of vehicle, flat land vs mountains, freeway driving vs country roads with lots of small towns. 

Then there is the more interesting one.  Calculating your mileage.  On an individual fill basis, the mileage on our last trip went from 4.5 to almost 9.  The overall for the trip was just about 7.  So I can say my motorhome gets 4.5, 7 or 9 mpg.  Take your pick. 

If I'm driving in a headwind or a side wind it might be 1mpg!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom