Generator problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

69x33z28

Just bought a 99 American tradition yesterday that has been sitting a couple years. I got it running after putting in fresh batteries and changing the fuel and air filters. Problem is I can't get the gen to start doesn't do anything even tried the starter button on the gen. I think the house batteries are dead too and the control panel for the inverter will not come on. Don't have any power inside the coach at all. I assume that there is no power coming to the gen switch or gen starter. Any ideas. 

It can be from either source, but often the gen starts from the house batteries. And when the gen starts, the house batteries will be the first batteries charged.  Usually the alternator on the rig charges the chassis batteries. Sometimes an additional charge device has been added that will charge the chassis batteries by pulling a little voltage from the house batteries. 

Thanks I am charging the house batteries now gonna hook them back up tomorrow and try it. The alternator is bad also got to replace it tomorrow.

69x33z28 said:
Thanks I am charging the house batteries now gonna hook them back up tomorrow and try it. The alternator is bad also got to replace it tomorrow.

If the coach has been sitting for a couple years and the batteries are dead, I wouldn't hold out much hope that charging them will restore them. Batteries do not like being fully discharged. It is likely that even if it looks like they took a charge their capacity will be very poor (they will be dead very quickly). I would replace them before you are surprised.

Ok I charged the house batteries and now everything inside works. The gen now has power and will prime but the starter will not engage. I get three blinking lights code says service required my ideas

There are a couple of different harnesses, Are you using a system where you put in diodes or one where you put in additional lamps?

I had this same proglem in 2006 when I pulled off to go to Las Vegas,  Fixed it there, turned out to be a wireing problem in MH. but to diagnose I have a handy dandy tool I use. Let me go get it so I can find it for you on line. (alas no joy)

On the flat 4 connector the "ODD" pin is ground, of the 3 identical pins the one next to ground is "Tail Light" (the lead that is not working)

I would use a volt meter, OR a test light at this point to see if there is power to the towed.. If there is find the diode pack and check there, and if you have power INTO the diode pack and not out, you have a bad diode pack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom