back up camera system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

69bbc

Our 2006 georgetown had a dash mounted monitor. As we rattled over the highway potholes the unit fell back under the dash cracking the dash panel . Got home and cant believe the weight and how it was mounted. Now looking to replace the monitor. Went online to amazon and they sell 7 in monitors that would seem to work instead of the old unit . Hoping to use the existing camera and simply adapt the wiring in the dash to adapt to the new unit. Is this workable ? thanks  Larry

Lots of good info here: www.rvcams.com/

They have a good reputation for answering just these sort of questions...

Thanks for the info. Was surfing the net for a bit. These seem feasible , anybody have any good or bad experience with these type of units. Wireless ccd mounted back up camera with 7 in. monitor. Amazon sells then around $250. One I looked at was from TADIBROS.

If your original system is Weldex then yes, a new Weldex Color LCD monitor is compatible.  And rvcams.com seems to know more about them than anybody.  The color monitor will work with your existing B/W camera if you have one.

My dead monitor was mostly paid for by insurance so I had to stick with a Weldex replacement.  It works well.  I'm not sure how you would adapt the LCD to fit in the dash, mine is overhead.

Personally I don't like wireless cameras as much as wired ones.

My old monitor is a voyager. The camera is working and so is the monitor but it is to heavy to remount into the dash panel so I really need to upgrade. Like the camera when towing the car and want to get something to replace it asap.

You might be disappointed with a wireless setup. Others have reported quite a few problems with some of them from flakey unreliable signals to outright no signal without a repeater etc.

You can likely reuse the wiring from your existing unit if running new wires troubles you. RVCams carry a number of adapters I believe.

As a previous answer pointed out www.rvcams.com I thought I would add my voice. Tim at rvcams.com can give you advice and  options on cameras/monitors. I just upgraded my 2004 Allegro and they were great. He knows which cameras/monitors can use the current cabling and can give you pointers on installation. I highly recommend them.

Update and still need help. I posted on FROG also but hoping someone here can help. I received my 7 in. monitor and hooked up the power wires.
Video in seems to be my problem. Old voyager monitor was a square 4 pin plug from the camera. Cut it off to expose 3 wires: red (power) black (ground) white (signal).
Made an RCA plug and soldered the white on to the RCA plug lead. Grounded this also. Still getting " NO SIGNAL" showing on the blue screen, both AV1 and AV2. Has anybody else self wired one of these TFT monitors. Wiring guru's jump in here !!! Larry

Solved the problem. When stripping the camera cable my wire stripper snipped off the 4th ( clear) wire which is the video signal. White wire is audio. Monitor now working fine. thanks for the input guys

Just chiming in thanking you all for this thread, as this project is on my list.
Marking this thread for future reference.
What a time and headache saver this place is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom