RV Home Schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodartist

On our extensive travels we have come across many folks who have "cashed it in" and are full timing and "home schooling" their kids while being full timing. Wondering if any our on the forum and how it is working for them?

Great question. We've had a number of fulltiming homeschoolers here in the past, but IIRC it's been a few years since we last had this discussion. I too would be interested to see any responses you receive.

re: homeschooling:

I don't know of anyone personally I could put you in touch with, but the ex-gov. of the State of Maine did just that when his last term was up.  He bought and RV, took the whole family on the road for a year, had a web page for anyone to follow along, and homeschooled the kids along the way.  Of course, no amount of schooling can do it, like teaching history at the very place it took place.  Also, mathematics can be taught with the kids (at appropriate ages) figuring gas comsumption and miles traveled.  Science can be taught while investigating the forests for plant life and critters for animal/bug life.  Also the deserts are just full of fascinating rock formations and the local libraries are usually full of stuff that tells you why they came about.  UT and several other states abound in dinosaur digs, and there are several museums there that bring it very much to light and understanding for all ages.  Many have hands-on exhibits. 

I could go on, but you will have to do some homework before you embark.  You will have to have a conference with teachers/principals to exchange information on what they expect of you while on the road.  There will be a certain curriculum to follow to qualify the students for advancements to the next grade.  I don't know a lot about that, but you can certainly find out quick enough.  Good luck and have a great time...... Daisy

Good point, can't beat nature as a classroom. Wonder how science teaching goes? Meaning that you would need a lab for Biology chemistry, etc. All the folks we met on the road seemed to be home schooling younger kids. I did get a kick out of a teacher, who taught during the school year, but home schooled her kids :) Her and her husband would then take off in the RV for the summer. It seems to me that home schooling while being a fulltime RVer would result in a great education for the reasons you mentioned, Daisy.  Our kids are gone, but am interested in exploring the subject for the benefit of their kids ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom