Propane from trailer for coleman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westr212

When we ordered our travel trailer ( palomino solaire) I opted for the accessory propane connection outside the trailer. We want to power a coleman propane 2 burner stove with this instead of using 1 lb bottles. I got a connector to go into the coleman regulator that connects to the stove and when I fired up the stove I got a small flame but could not get a higher heat flame. Apparently having the coleman pressure regulator and the pressure regulator on the trailer is reducing pressure too much to get full flame? The coleman stove runs fine on a 1 lb cylinder.
Any suggestions on a set up that is working for an outside stove with propane through my factory propane plumbing would be a big help.
Thanks

Those BBQ that use a 1 lb bottle have a regulator built into them. If your feed is on the low pressure side of your larger tank, the BBQ will not work well (as you found out!!!).

You have two choices, either take the supply from the high pressure side of your tank (ie before the regulator) or simply remove the regulator on the small BBQ (which is what most people do).

Stu,
I'd like to bypass the stove regulator but Coleman went out of their way to prevent this. The fitting that screws into the stove can be removed but the threads are not standard course pipe threads ( there fine thread and fastenal could not identify them-niether metric or english) so I can not interface with a fitting. This is why I kept the regulator in the sequence. The only option (which I won't try) would be to fabricate on the pipe that runs into the regulator.
Is there a different brand of stove appliance that I wouldn't run into proprietary plumbing where I could add an alternate supplyvia my trailer on the low pressure side of the gas system?
Thanks

Try this.  http://www.camperpartsworld.com/3-Port-Propane-Tee.html

Use with a hose to your Coleman.  Mounts between tank and regulator.

There are gas grills available that require use of an external regulator on the gas bottle. Basically any model that does not allow the 1# bottles to be used. Any of those would work with your trailers low pressure LP tap. They tend to be the larger (non-portable) grills, though.

The more practical choice is to put a tee ahead of regulator on the trailer system and use that to feed a portable grill. It's something you can do yourself - not at all risky.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59103-Propane-Brass-Ports/dp/B0014JKDB2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1K2XJQR36ED5K152BBP5

The two products mentioned above are similar products but one comes with a 12' hose. They will do what you wish and connect to your Coleman. That part of the connection is most likely standard, unlike the portions within the Grill itself that you mentioned.

Gary and Stu, We're off to Niagara Falls in six days so I don't have time to plumb a line ahead of my regulator now but will put that on the list of projects to complete. I also want to add a 15 amp circuit for the occasions when I'm at a 50 amp campsite and can take advantage of the 30 amp and 20 amp circuit in the box. (My unit is 30 amp) and running the a\c , coffee pot, and microwave at the same time exceeds the 30 amp capacity. Neither of these upgrades are necessary but nice additions.
Thanks, Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom