Which furnace module board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DItR

I have a Suburban NT34S furnace in a '87 Travel Master. I can't get the furnace to light. Replaced sail switch. Book says next thing wrong is the module board. Which module board do I have? The 520820 board with the fan control or the 520741 board without? I'm guessing the one without but both pics I've seen look nothing like my current module board. Appreciate any help.
J

It wouldn't light. I tested the sail switch & it tested bad. Replaced it & furnace lighted several times for me. Put it all back together & tried it & it wouldn't light anymore. Retested sail switch but it tested good. Read the manual it said if neon bulb on circuit board isn't flashing clean contacts on little white plug & try again. Still didn't light. Book says replace board but i went to next trouble shooting step just to make sure it's the board & it talked about power at the valve during ignition. Checked, no power. Book says board is bad.
I don't believe in throwing money at it hoping it fixes it. I'm following steps in the book plus RV shops are scarce in my area. Appreciate your input but be careful about what you accuse people of.
J

If you are down to changing boards, check out Dinosaur boards, may be cheaper and much better quality. www.dinosaurelectronics.com/

I second Dinosaur boards,  That is what I used for my Atwood.. Cost less than half what an OEM borad would have and way better build, Better design too. I think I know what killed the OEM and the Dino board is protected against that.

I really appreciate the input. But back to my original question, how do I know if I have the fan control board or not?
J

Update:
Ok, after reading more, I'm fairly positive I don't I've the fan control on my current board.
New question. Since I need to replace my board, would it be worth upgrading the board to the fan control feature? Thanks.
J

From an old furnace tech..

If your furnace fan is plugged directly into the control board and it (the board) has the relay(s) that turn it on and off that is usually called a fan/timer board.

If you have a furnace that has a sepreate control / relay for your fan motor (usualy controlled by a seperate temp switch/limit)  then you  have the non-fan.

hope that helps,

JM

Edit: You've probably already been there.. but..
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Suburban-Furnace-Parts_c_286.html

to sum up?  probably not.
My old books do not show a specific upgrade for the suburban, -  you can attempt to contact the mfg. see what is avail, but if you really want to go that way,there are generics out there, - the issue is correctly re-wiring ,- how is your electrical skill level?.  compare the cost of the board and delay timer/relay you currently have..
-  Having checked out the www. dinosaurelectronics .com  I'd seriously consider them in comparison to the oem if you'd rather upgrade your electronics...

Back
Top Bottom