Any Scientists out there ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Guys,

We had a thread asking for any Tax Pros out there, so how about ANY SCIENTISTS OUT THERE ?

Please tell me if this question has merit or is a "no brainer" from the start :-

I want to calculate whether I am better to heat the RV using Propane or using the Air Conditioner Heat with Generator running.

There are several variables to take into account, such as :-

1. The cost of diesel vs the cost of propane.

2. The starting temp and intended temp.

3. The energy output of the Propane vs Generator/Air Con.

4. The option of paying $2 (example) at CG for Air Con use vs the cost of Propane.

So, is there merit in trying to calculate the benefits of one over the other or is it BY FAR cheaper to use Propane or Gen etc.

Ideally, I would like to get hold of a spreadsheet where I can enter the relevant costs to compare.

I want to calculate the costs in the UK where Diesel is currently 95p/litre ($6.77 per US Gallon) and Propane (LPG) is 39p/litre ($2.78 per US Gallon).

You will see there is a huge difference vs USA prices where Diesel is 66c/litre (35p) and Propane is 51c/litre (27p).

Thanks
Paul

PS From the above figures, I think I've already worked out it will be cheaper to heat using Propane in the UK, but a spreadsheet would be good for the US and also for when the UK Govt decide that they've taxed everything else as far as they can and start on Propane too. LOL

:) Hi Paul (UK-RV). From the experience I have had from the Aircool Heaters. They appear to be VERY inefficient. I use LPG. It is ALWAYS cheaper anywhere in Europe than running the generator. IMHO.  ;)

Thanks John

I kind of guessed the effect in the UK (hadnt thought of Europe too).

I'm thinking more of when we boondock in the US - and, of course, when they eventually hike the LPG tax in the UK (I believe the LPG duty until 2010 is to be announced in April 07, just as we get back there).

BTW, Im looking forward to hearing how the new registration went.

Paul

UK-RV said:
I'm thinking more of when we boondock in the US - and, of course, when they eventually hike the LPG tax in the UK (I believe the LPG duty until 2010 is to be announced in April 07, just as we get back there).

:) We did that too. We DID try the Aircool heater when we had a FREE campground for 4 days and also when at our friends Lot in Florida. LPG still won hands down. I ALSO bought 2 Fan heaters from Walmarts to run in the morning and evenings when we wanted some quick heat. The LPG furnace was STILL the winner at keeping us warm as against the cost. BTW. You haven't sent us a PDF of your tour in response to our email on you website.  ;)

John

Re the website - I found that only a dozen people actually bothered to visit the site each month so I decided to do the .pdf version instead. To date, Ive only had one request come thru (micknpat) - not even anything from family back home. So I lost interest in doing it. Sorry.

Paul

Paul

>>I'm thinking more of when we boondock in the US -<<

Assuming you have a good charger/inverter, every time you run your genset it will charge your batteries, heat your coach via heat pumps or elec cube heaters & also run your refrigerator. Plan your coffee making & microwave cooking during the same time thus maximizing the fuel usage.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Plan your coffee making & microwave cooking during the same time thus maximizing the fuel usage.

;D That is exactly what we did and wh we bought the 2 Blower heaters from Walmart.  ;)

Most recent information out of New England...  per BTU heat available, utility electricity  is 1.48 times the cost of propane.  My genset producing 1400 W at 0.5 gal per hour is 5.33 times the cost of utility electric.  Electric heat in my RV then costs 7.88 times the cost of propane heat.  Of course, if you're getting the electricity at no extra cost at a campsite, well....
Art

Back
Top Bottom