Blown 8.1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Went to leave Townsend, display said "LOW OIL LEVEL" so I added some  and took off, good oil pressure all happy.

About 100 miles later, Got low oil again this time both pressure AND level, next oil roughly 20 miles,,, Too late it seems, put in 2 quarts, pressure came up but quickly dropped again (But not to dangerous levels) then as I started up a hill BANG, lots of smoke, engine quit as I coasted to shoulder,  Tow Truck arrived and while we hooked up we found a rather large hole in the oil pan.....  Do not know if it tossed a lower engine part, or if there is a matching hole in a piston (Somethign 8.1s do far too often)  Stuck in METTER. GA. Not a happy camper.

And the McDonald's wi-fi is broke so this is posted on a GMRS (Read that dial up speed) link.. OUCH!!

That is the other part, As least the tow truck is covered by insurance.  But its the engine I am worried about.. how worried should I be.

Among other things I am out of selected meds, Will run out of others soon and the manager at this blasted McD's is not responding to my request so we can get connected at somethign faster than grass growing GMRS speed.

Not sure of your setup, but my gas class A bill came to $6800. That was for a new long block. Labor killed me because they had to lift it out through the drivers door.

John From Detroit said:
That is the other part, As least the tow truck is covered by insurance.  But its the engine I am worried about.. how worried should I be.

Among other things I am out of selected meds, Will run out of others soon and the manager at this blasted McD's is not responding to my request so we can get connected at somethign faster than grass growing GMRS speed.

why is McDonalds now somehow responsible to make your computer connection? Hole in the oil pan is from a broken con rod most likely.Dont fool around with short blocks or whatever get a NEW crate engine from GM

8.1 Ltr - 496 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 2004 - 2006 Reman - 19299575
19299575 8.1 Ltr - 496C.I.D. - Reman - GM ENGINE
Price includes a $ 2,500.00 core charge
2004 - 2006 CK Trucks
YOUR PRICE:  $7,174.63   

buchanan said:
why is McDonalds now somehow responsible to make your computer connection? Hole in the oil pan is from a broken con rod most likely.Dont fool around with short blocks or whatever get a NEW crate engine from GM

I will answer that. Cause that is where I went for breakfast and they advertise Free Wi-Fi.. I will dine elsewhere as there are two more free wi-fi places nearby and one of them My phone connected to when I drove past the building, So I know it's working there.  Same Free Wi-Fi as McD's by the way.. I ust like McD's better,, Right now Im using my own but it's GSM (Generation 1) Cellular, kind of like watching grass grow and any page heavy into graphics not going to work.

My point is the Local McDonalds is in no way obligated to have free wifi  for you or anyone.I really don't understand your crying about  McDonalds and the wifi deal
its certainly not their problem that your engine expired or that your out of meds.

buchanan said:
My point is the Local McDonalds is in no way obligated to have free wifi  for you or anyone.I really don't understand your crying about  McDonalds and the wifi deal
its certainly not their problem that your engine expired or that your out of meds.

Give John a break!  He just had a bout of very bad luck with his engine and all the little things sometimes compound the problem. In my opinion he is allowed to  rant and rave and he should  expect empathy, sympathy and any  other good answers from all of us, nothing else. 

Betty Brewer said:
Give John a break!  He just had a bout of very bad luck with his engine and all the little things sometimes compound the problem. In my opinion he is allowed to  rant and rave and he should  expect empathy, sympathy and any  other good answers from all of us, nothing else.

I say A-men to that John hope it works out better than it looks

I agree with quillback, billy bob, and betty..........sounds to me like buchanan needs some meds.......

I wish you luck, John........

Let's please keep this conversation about John and his problems with his engine.

The only problem you may have with a re-manufactured engine is the warranty. My engine came with a 3year/30,000 warranty, but because it was installed in a motorhome, I only got 3 month/3000 miles. The owner of the garage knew I was heading to Wisconsin and it would sit most of the time while I host the campground. He said if I had any problems, after I head back west, call him and he would work something out. In the past, he had done this with other customers and the rebuilder stood behind him, because they work together quite a bit. Hopefully, I won't have to find out.   

Just a few month ago I was crying about a fan belt in the middle of Nevada. Can"t imagine what I would be doing if the engine blowed. Good luck on your repair.

Henry Wishard said:
  Just a few month ago I was crying about a fan belt in the middle of Nevada. Can"t imagine what I would be doing if the engine blowed. Good luck on your repair.

Yeah....especially 2500 miles from home. 

Any update on this John? 

My regrets John.  Sure hope you can find a reasonable solution.  I also have an 8.1 Vortec in a Workhorse W22 and just completed a 2000 mile trip to the Winnebago Grand National Rally and a visit to the kids in the northern states.  It has  44K miles and burned one qt of oil.  I think that is the first time I have added oil to an engine in years but this one is 12 years old and pulling a lot more weight than my cars.  Didn't notice John but did you say how many miles when the engine blew?  At first glance, that would be a real decision for me as to weather to fix or not (at $7 k a pop) but it doesn't take much thinking to know that if I didn't fix it I would have a coach worth zero and a new engine would at least allow me to either travel on or get my money back from the sale of the coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom