Beachside RV Locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZRV

8) Hello all!
Looking for advice on beachside RV locations in Ca.  Wife is hankering for the ocean and I am not sure where to start.  Look forward to your feedback and pics if you have any!
Thanks!

CA is a big State...... what area do you have in mind. That's our stomping grounds and I think we've been to them all, several times.

Are you looking for State CGs, RV resorts, full hook-ups, dry camping...... give us some more info and we can help better.

Some of the best beach sites in CA are dry camping.

My favorite coastal RV park in Cali is the Harbor RV Anchorage in Crescent City.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/view_campground_review_details.php?cgid=8680&region=California&city=Crescent-City&park=Harbor-RV-Anchorage

Not exactly upscale but only $400 per month. Right next to a stunning white sand beach and a harbor.

If you are looking to dry camp, try Emma Wood State Beach in Ventura, CA. Right on the beach.
Pismo Beach has several campground on the beach. On of our favorites is Pismo State Beach (North Beach) no hookups but there is a dump station and water at the entrance. Short walk to the beach. There is also Pismo Coast Village RV Resort. Full hookups but the sites are close together. Nice well kept campground.

Thanks all for the feedback. Since we are new to the RV adventures I guess I am interested in about all of the available RV camping, resorts, dry camping (which we have not done yet) and any other locations that you RV vets can suggest!  Locations from San Diego up north. We would like to make a trip up
the coast to Washington which I have read from some of your posts as quite amazing.  How far out do you have to reserve beachside locations would also be helpful to know.

Much appreciated!  8)

I rarely make reservations. Cali beaches really don't have a season where they are busy. They get crowds all year, but only on holiday weekends are reservations recommended.

If you want the beach but don't mind being in town as well, San Elijo State Park in Cardiff by the Sea is good.
Pros:
Right on the beach, well you do need to take some stairs down but not too bad.
Grocery store, coffee shops, etc. nearby, if you are OK with that.
Surfing (my hubby surfs so that is major for "us" and the primary reason we go there)
Nice walking on the beach or sidewalk above the beach. You can walk to Swami's and visit the peaceful gardens.
Dump station in the park.
Can use as a central place while visiting other attractions in the San Diego area.
Cons:
Just off of the main ocean street and also the train goes by several times a day so you hear the whistle. If your space isn't by the road you don't notice that much after a while.
Hard to get reservations. Crowded and lots of families (could be a pro or a con).
Hard to get hook-up spaces.

Well, maybe not the best option but something to think about.  :)

Alisa

AZRV said:
Thanks all for the feedback. Since we are new to the RV adventures I guess I am interested in about all of the available RV camping, resorts, dry camping (which we have not done yet) and any other locations that you RV vets can suggest!  Locations from San Diego up north. We would like to make a trip up
the coast to Washington which I have read from some of your posts as quite amazing.  How far out do you have to reserve beachside locations would also be helpful to know.

Much appreciated!  8)
Most of the good beach camping (IMO) are CA State Campgrounds.

Starting from Sandy Eggo (where I live), San Elijo is our favorite in that area. There is Doheny SB but the sites are smaller and the weekend crowds can be rude...... none the less, it's a beautiful spot, right at Dana Point and there are sites on the beach... no hook-ups.

Moving north there are several "Beach" campgrounds but not many are right on the beach. Our absolute favorite is Pt Mugu (Thornhill Broome section). It's right on the sand. Each site is 65' wide and you park side on to the ocean. The ocean view and sea-side experience is unbeatable. We have dolphins every day and have even had Humpback whales swimming in the surf.

Moving north, I would suggest Morro Bay State park (weekdays only).

A good place to view campsite pics is:
http://www.campsitephotos.com/

You will need to make reservations 6 months in advance through ReserveAmerica:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/

For the best sites, get online the opening day of reservations @ 8:00:01AM of the 7th month before, on the 1st day of the month. You will have about 3 seconds for the best beach front sites and a little longer for others. Pt Mugu is less popular for some reason and (depending on the season) will have open sites up to a month before. ALL of the site assignments at Pt Mugu are the same and sites are 1st come, 1st serve.

Awesome information!  You just can't beat testimonials from people that have actually been there so thanks again for the feedback!  8)

AZRV said:
Awesome information!  You just can't beat testimonials from people that have actually been there so thanks again for the feedback!  8)
Once you build an itinerary, lets us know. I (and others) may have some particular site recommendations before you make your reservations.

There is also Silver Strand State Beach being the southmost location in San Diego and Campland on the "Bay" in Pacific Beach. 

We recently stayed at Mission Bay RV Resort. Close to all that SD has to offer. Has a nice walk around the Bay. Would stay there again.

Sam! said:
There is also Silver Strand State Beach being the southmost location in San Diego and Campland on the "Bay" in Pacific Beach.
I would not stay at Silver Strand again. Too many bad experiences. It may be OK during mid-week (but it also may not be)...... There is no supervision at that CG and the people that desire to go there know it. The other people that would like to go there (like me) would like a patrol once in awhile or at least a phone # to call when it starts getting crazy......... and it does get CRAZY.....

If you have the money Malibu Beach RV Park in Malibu.  Leo Carrillo SP or for rustic right on the beach Point Magu SP.

Bobtop46 said:
If you have the money Malibu Beach RV Park in Malibu.  Leo Carrillo SP or for rustic right on the beach Point Magu SP.
Actually, Leo Carrillo is 15 miles south of Pt Mugu and across Hwy1 from the beach and so is Malibu RV Park.

Leo Carrillo has a walking tunnel under the highway for beach access (about 1.4 mile walk). Malibu RV Park really doesn't have beach access but if you get the right site, you may have an ocean view. The upside to Malibu RV Park is that it has hook-ups but boy to you pay for them both in $ and lack of beach access.

Lou Schneider said:
Just a couple of miles north of Emma Woods State Beach are a couple of small Ventura County parks with beachfront campgrounds.

The road connecting them also has 127 beachfront RV parking spaces for dry camping.  It's the old road that's been bypassed by the freeway so there's limited traffic on it.

http://www.ventura.org/beach-front-parks/hobson-beach-park

http://www.ventura.org/beach-front-parks/faria-beach-park

http://www.ventura.org/beach-front-parks/rincon-parkway
Faria is "OK" ...... the sites are small and if you park close to the water's edge, you stand the chance of getting sea water spray on your rig from the water crashing on the rocks at very high tides (that's easy to manage). We watch the tide tables and if there is a high tide of 6.5', we don't go to Faria. We were there once when a bunch of rigs just got inundated by sea water. There are good spots and bad spots at Faria and you have to take whatever is available.

Rincon is right along the road and traffic goes by real fast. On one side of your rig, you have traffic, on the other side, you have huge boulders between you and the beach. If you are OK with climbing down boulders, it's an OK spot. A LOT of locals go there. It's a good surfing location. I haven't been to Hobson so I can't comment. I have heard that it is similar to Rincon.

A GREAT spot, just north of Santa Barbara and about 20 miles off the highway is Jalama State Beach. It's 1st come 1st served (unless it has changed recently). It's a beautiful CG right next to the beach. Again..... good sites and better sites. I don't recall any bad sites. I heard that they are now taking reservations but I haven't checked so check it out. If they aren't taking reservations, plan on stopping there Monday through Thursday and you stand a 90% chance of getting in. IMO.... It's worth it. We love Jalama. They have a hamburger stand there that sells burgers that are "to die for" (I'm told.... I don't eat hamburgers.... I'm allergic to bread).

I couldn't stand it so I checked..... You can now reserve at Jalama and I will change my recommendation to "Must do"...
https://www.countyofsb.org/parks/parks06.aspx?id=13988
It is a little off the beaten path .

I just checked for Feb 6th (weekend) and there are lots of sites available (Feb is a rainy month...... ya right). I checked a few dates in Nov and they are booked up. However, I did notice that they have some "1st come, 1st served" sites. Be sure to check the site length. They don't have a lot of sites over 31'. However........ It's been my experience that the 31' is the distance from the road to the tire stop and often doesn't include your vehicle overhang.
http://reservations.sbparks.org/Index.asp

Hi Wavery,

Thanks for the tip about camping at Jalama State Beach. Just made reservations for the first week of December for 3 nights. Looks like a great campground. We are always looking for campgrounds on the beach. Love Pismo and Emma Wood Beach.

Jeff and Anita said:
Hi Wavery,

Thanks for the tip about camping at Jalama State Beach. Just made reservations for the first week of December for 3 nights. Looks like a great campground. We are always looking for campgrounds on the beach. Love Pismo and Emma Wood Beach.
Your welcome...... If you like remote CGs, You'll LOVE Jalama. It's a bit of a drive off of Hwy1 and it lies just south of Pt Conception. The weather can get a bit wild there if there is a cold front coming down the coast (which can happen in Dec). However, the wind and sea has it's own beauty there. If you happen to be there during the passage of a cold front, it;s quite common to see several water spouts at once because of the proximity to Pt Conception. It is truly a very unique spot. Once you've been there, you'll be hooked.

I just noticed....... you live right down the road from us... ;D

Wavery said:
Your welcome...... If you like remote CGs, You'll LOVE Jalama. It's a bit of a drive off of Hwy1 and it lies just south of Pt Conception. The weather can get a bit wild there if there is a cold front coming down the coast (which can happen in Dec). However, the wind and sea has it's own beauty there. If you happen to be there during the passage of a cold front, it;s quite common to see several water spouts at once because of the proximity to Pt Conception. It is truly a very unique spot. Once you've been there, you'll be hooked.

I just noticed....... you live right down the road from us... ;D

Yes, we live very close to you. We are out in Fallbrook often. We like campgrounds off the beaten path. Not real fond of "parking lot" campgrounds. Full hook ups are nice but we like to dry camp when possible. Spend a lot of time in the desert during the winter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom