Beachside RV Locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff and Anita said:
Yes, we live very close to you. We are out in Fallbrook often. We like campgrounds off the beaten path. Not real fond of "parking lot" campgrounds. Full hook ups are nice but we like to dry camp when possible. Spend a lot of time in the desert during the winter.
What site did you get at Jalama? The reason I ask is because some are right next to each other (but have hook-ups) and the ones in the lower loop, right on the beach are quite generous (and awesome) but no hook-ups.

Wavery said:
What site did you get at Jalama? The reason I ask is because some are right next to each other (but have hook-ups) and the ones in the lower loop, right on the beach are quite generous (and awesome) but no hook-ups.

We are right on the beach: #64.

Jeff and Anita said:
We are right on the beach: #64.
You're going to love that site...... be sure to bring binoculars. The hamburger joint is on the opposite end of the park (to the north). There is a bluff and you may see a Blackhawk chopper land there and the guys go down and pick up an order for the near-by Marine Base. There is an estuary below the bluff that is full of bird-life and often seals.

Wavery said:
You're going to love that site...... be sure to bring binoculars. The hamburger joint is on the opposite end of the park (to the north). There is a bluff and you may see a Blackhawk chopper land there and the guys go down and pick up an order for the near-by Marine Base. There is an estuary below the bluff that is full of bird-life and often seals.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to our camping adventure. Love exploring new campgrounds.

Decided to visit Jalama Beach a little early. We are in Site #107. Electrical hook-ups. Great view of the ocean. Beautiful weather.

Attachments

• jalama.jpg
    jalama.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 33
Jeff and Anita said:
Decided to visit Jalama Beach a little early. We are in Site #107. Electrical hook-ups. Great view of the ocean. Beautiful weather.
I'm sure you will love it........ is it crowded?

Pretty crowded. Although, there are still spaces opened. Some with hook-ups and some with not. Really windy here right now. We will be leaving and heading home today. Coming back in December for 3 days.

I would never plan on going anywhere near the beach here without reservations.  Most of the ones near us open reservations up 6 months in advance and they fill all reservations in a couple of days, during peak season in a couple of hours.  Don't assume that the peak season is only summer.  Santa Cruz, for instance, has better weather in the winter.

Our favorites are Morro Bay, Monterey, Watsonville, Santa Cruz, and Half Moon Bay.

We tried to schedule a week at Morro Bay (for October!) a couple of months ago.  All the parks are 100% booked.  We lucked out and found a place in Paso Robles.

We've been RV'ing in Ca for 45 years and know the area fairly well.  You simply cannot assume, even 3 months in advance, that there is a space for you to just 'drop in'.  Especially places 'on the beach'.  I compare those to getting tickets to see Paul McCartney.

Two years ago I started in San Diego in April and spent a week. Then I drove about 60 miles up the coast and spent another week. I kept this up for four months and ended up in Crescent City from August to October. I only camped at campgrounds that were right on the beach. i did not have one reservation and never had a problem finding a place.

You must have the luck of the proverbial Irish.  But based upon your one experience you're willing to make a blanket statement that reservations are not needed.  I've lived here all my life and I would not make such an assumption.

Some places, like Doheny State Beach, are so popular that they hold a lottery for reservations.  I believe Pendelton/San Onofre' is the same.  Anyplace near Anaheim is booked weeks in advance.  Weekends are the worst of course.

Pismo is fairly easy.  Jalapa is easy.  Anywhere between Monterey and Marin is not.

We have not been able to reserve more than 2 days mid week at Seacliff State Beach in a couple of years.

Sunset state beach is the same and it's little more than a dust bowl 2 miles from the water. 

New Brighton SB? the same.

Pigeon Point, Pelican point?  Better have reservations.

Show up in Monterey during any of the (many) festivals and you'll be looking longingly at the WalMart lot.

8Muddypaws said:
You must have the luck of the proverbial Irish.  But based upon your one experience you're willing to make a blanket statement that reservations are not needed.  I've lived here all my life and I would not make such an assumption.

Some places, like Doheny State Beach, are so popular that they hold a lottery for reservations.  I believe Pendelton/San Onofre' is the same.  Anyplace near Anaheim is booked weeks in advance.  Weekends are the worst of course.

Pismo is fairly easy.  Jalapa is easy.  Anywhere between Monterey and Marin is not.

We have not been able to reserve more than 2 days mid week at Seacliff State Beach in a couple of years.

Sunset state beach is the same and it's little more than a dust bowl 2 miles from the water. 

New Brighton SB? the same.

Pigeon Point, Pelican point?  Better have reservations.

Show up in Monterey during any of the (many) festivals and you'll be looking longingly at the WalMart lot.
8Muddypaws you are correct about making reservations far in advance (usually 6+ months). However, if one is adventurous, one can often find spots in CGs that are supposedly full.

We lived in West Los Angeles for 14 years and often took off on the spur of the moment for a beach camp-out. Usually Pt Mugu but if it was full (which only happened 1 out 0f about 20 times) we checked with another State Beach CG close by. There were almost always open spots at Rinkon SP.

The farther north one goes, the farther between the CGs are and I suppose the risk may be higher.

Where we are this week you could probably get in.  (Not a beach) But where we're going next we have to leave after 3 days because they are 100% booked every weekend for the rest of the year.  It's 150 miles inland.  Don't know where we're going from there, probably home.

Russ, if you're not wanting to go home, here's a list of RV parks on the Delta: here.

The issue with "Showing up without a reservation" is one must be willing to "Take a chance". If one calls ahead, they will ALWAYS say that the CG is full. I have found that it you show up at 7:AM (or whatever time the ranger shows up) chances are pretty good that you may get a spot.

If there are cancellations from the day before, that's when the ranger gets them. Whoever shows up 1st gets that cancellation(s). They will not book it over the phone just to have that person not show up either.

8Muddypaws said:
No, I am basing my opinion after living in California for over 40 years.

Thanks Tom.  I'll forward that to the event planner, CEO, navigator, and DW.  Hopefully she won't loose too much money at JR.

The last time we were in the Delta it was 90% vacant on the weekend.

Wavery:

The park that I volunteer at does not do that.  And people don't call to cancel reservations, they just don't bother to show up. 

I remember back when they didn't take reservations.  People would go up Tuesday or Wednesday, set up a tent or whatever, and then go home until the weekend.  Some people will always find a way to play the system

SeilerBird,

Where in California and how long ago? 

We used to be able to go to Pigeon Point, and other beaches North of Santa Cruz, and back our trailer right up to the edge of the cliff and stay as long as we liked.  It was just open beach access.  That was closed off years ago and now you'll get a ticket for just stopping in that spot.  It was good while it lasted but things have changed a lot.  Same for many of the camps in the redwoods.  Mid week during the off season maybe, or if it's actively raining and everybody stayed home you might get in but weekends? Forget it.

We love Seacliff State Beach, but we have not been able to get more than a two day mid week in the overflow lot reservation there in over a year. 

Just for ducks I looked at the schedules for 3 of our favorite beach camps.  All are 100% full for the rest of the month.  I did not look any further out.  I am not willing to 'take a chance' that I can be there at 7AM and get in.  In our younger days we ended up in some pretty bad places that way.  'She' does boondocking only under duress and being put in an overflow lot, even one on the beach, just ain't going to cut it.

One place we ended up at was Pinto Lake Park in Watsonville.  Nice little park on a lake.  But the spaces are so narrow your neighbor can hear you snore and the lake is so toxic you can't touch the water. It's still better than some of the bad ones.  We actually liked it there and have gotten to know the owner.  She's a hoot.  But keeping a Golden Retriever out of the toxic water is a full time job so we don't go there often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom