removing side windows and recaulking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93Coachman

What's the best way to remove the side windows in my 93 coachman. We have had a bunch of rain today and I'm seeing leaking.  Previous Owner recaulked them with the old fashioned rope puddy based window type caulk he called rope dope.  I want to redo them with a good silicone caulk  I removed the interior trim ring but dot think this is how. Don't see screws on the outside.  Thanks for and advise. Don in KY

93Coachman said:
What's the best way to remove the side windows in my 93 coachman. We have had a bunch of rain today and I'm seeing leaking.  Previous Owner recaulked them with the old fashioned rope puddy based window type caulk he called rope dope.  I want to redo them with a good silicone caulk  I removed the interior trim ring but dot think this is how. Don't see screws on the outside.  Thanks for and advise. Don in KY

just push them out once the ring is off

Start at one of the outside corners with a plastic pry tool or putty knife.  Work the edge into the corner lifting gently as you push. You may need to re-position the tool a few times. Once you get the window to start lifting, continue pulling with your fingers. The type of putty he used will start to release as you pull.  Just be careful on the ladder, when the window starts to come out they can be heavier than they look.

Great to hear!!    We are wall papering now. So I'll pull them and recaulk them  sounds like killing two birds with one stone.

Get some butyl tape caulk, s/b available at Home Depot, etc.  It is flat and about 1/2"-3/4" wide.  Comes in a roll.  Once you get your window(s) out, clean the surfaces and reinstall with the butyl tape between the window and the wall.

You don't want silicone except over the top edge when done. Use butyl rubber caulking tape between the outer frame and the sidewall - most any RV or mobile home supply place should have it.

To get the window frame out, remove the inner ring and just push outward (with someone outside to catch it). Work it loose as SargeW described.  Clean up both surfaces, apply new butyl tape, and then re-install. Then use the silicone on the top outer edge and most of the way down the sides. Do not put the silicone across the bottom edge.

Hey  Gary or Sarge.  Got two of the windows done  that tape is the trick. Looks like it sealed really well.  Should I take a razor blade and trim around the window to remove the excess that seeped out around the window  it would make the job look a lot neater  then hit the top with silicone ??  With your help this bus is gonna be liveable this winter on pine Island 

93Coachman said:
Hey  Gary or Sarge.  Got two of the windows done  that tape is the trick. Looks like it sealed really well.  Should I take a razor blade and trim around the window to remove the excess that seeped out around the window  it would make the job look a lot neater  then hit the top with silicone ??  With your help this bus is gonna be liveable this winter on pine Island
Don't use a razon blade, it will cut the fininsh of the siding.  Instead, use a plastic putty knife or something similar.

Yep, Tom nailed it. A good plastic putty knife, or even a plastic razor blade. Trim off the excess putty, then silicone over the top. No more leaks.

After a short time, you'll probably see more of the putty oozing out so you'll need to trim more. Check the tightness of the screws then.

Back
Top Bottom