John's PC issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Two things I have noticed... Many times I'm not presented with just the NEW messages in a thread, but a good portion of the thread

2: I have had exactly one session here that did NOT crash firefox on my laptop.  Every other time it's crashed.  I guess you have given me something GOOD to say about Prospero (They have yet to crash Firefox)

No useful error info,  Often just a 'FireFox is not resonding" type lockup.  Major pain

John

I guess a lot depends on your equipment and settings.

In my profile, I have oldest messages first. When I come onto the forum I automatically get Unread Posts listing. Each thread listing has a blue "NEW" icon at the end. I click on that and it goes right to the newest message in the thread. All previous messages are above it and I can scroll upward if I want to see them.

I use FF v1.02 with a lot of different extensions added. Cannot remember FF ever crashing while on the Forum. Of course it is getting harder and harder to remember most anything anymore :D :D :D

There is nothing in this software that would crash a browser.  I would suspect one of the extensions.  You can always test with another browser too to narrow down the problem.

John

This software has proved to be almost bullet proof. As others have said, there's nothing here that would/could crash a browser.

If you click Show unread posts since last visit, you'll see a list of topics containing new messages, and alongside them will be a blue new icon. Click one of those icons to open that topic. additionally, what I've done is to have the software show me the latest messages in a topic before the others. To do this, click Profile|Look and layout preferences and check Show most recent posts at the top.

Since this software isn't crashing your browser, there's no reason it would give you an error message.

The symptoms are overload, it appears to me that you are sending a lot of stuff that is not on the screen and my laptop can not handle it all if I open more than a few tabs in Fire Fox.  Now.... I've tried opening them slowly (does not help) and I've tried opening just a few at a time (That is the one session that did not crash) and this morning I'm trying them on a seriously overworked 1.8Ghz desktop instead of my laptop and it's working just fine, only a dozen tabs (message threads) open however

Laptop is a 466Mhz P-i iwith about 290K of Ram (rounded off) and Win-98se,  Desktop is 1.8Ghz with 256Meg Win XP
Desktop is playing a Audio internet stream and burning a DVD as i type this which means it's bogged down big time (Very slow responding to commands but working)

The DVD's are because it's part of my "Video Recorder" setup by the way

It also burns CD as my radio recorder

Oh, well, I guess I have to remember to lmit myself to just a few messages

However I have a suggesting... Since, when it crashes can we have either a "new messages since :(List of your last few logins, say five) or New messages in the past 24 hours as an option? Either of those would "Fix" my problem without major changes on your end... Who knows, an upgrade to somethign will fix them on my end (it is clear a computer upgrade might)

John

"We" are sending much less than you were being sent at the other place, and what is sent takes a lot less time to download. We have zero ads and only some very small icons to download in addition to the html/text of the messages themselves and people's avatars. Doesn't get much skinnier than that unless we turn off avatars. I'm typing this with 14 tabs open in Firefox, and I've had as many as 20 open at one time. Try when you're not bogging your desktop down with the other download/DVD burn.

If you scroll down the home page and you'll see the last 5 posts immediately below the list of message boards. Scroll down the home page a little further and you'll see a link to the last 10 messages.

John,

I use iRider now and have used FF on two different Laptops and have not experienced any of the anomalies that you have reported.  You sure you don't have a virus or something on the laptop exhiiting the anomalies?  This SW is way better than the one we were strapped with by CS/AOL.  Do you have AOL in the laptop.  I have seen AOL cause some strange undesirablethings to happen on computers.

I use FF, John, and have not had a crash of FF while on this forum--in fact, FF has yet to crash on any web site.

I don't have anything practical to offer--the post is just to assure you that the problem is not (a relatively bare-bones) FF.

Hope you can soon get past this problem.

Ciao,

Doug

Tom said:
John

"We" are sending much less than you were being sent at the other place, and what is sent takes a lot less time to download. We have zero ads and only some very small icons to download in addition to the html/text of the messages themselves and people's avatars. Doesn't get much skinnier than that unless we turn off avatars. I'm typing this with 14 tabs open in Firefox, and I've had as many as 20 open at one time. Try when you're not bogging your desktop down with the other download/DVD burn.

I think I"ve got it figured out now... I just opened the threads I'm interested in and ignored the rest, when done I hit "Mark Read" at the bottom of the "New since last entry" page

It will still be nice if I could get either "New since next to the last post" or, as with the OLD compuserve, If I could re-set my "last entry" time/date as this would make crash recovery... Easy

I still don't know why I can't open more than a few tabs here with the laptop though when I'm used do donig up to about 2 dozen on Prospers's forums, and that limit is just cause the tabs get too small if I open more than that.

Maybe someone else can help figure out what's wrong at your end John. You're the only one reporting experiencing a crash when opening a number of tabs. Alternatively, you could ask on the Mozilla support forums; Maybe someone there has a clue.

As for the software options, I've given you several in my prior messages in this topic. We'd all like every option under the sun, but we got what we got, and the concensus is that it's far suprior to what we had to deal with at the last location. Additional message/view options may become available with future revs issued by the developers, but I won't be customizing anything in the meantime.

Give yourself a little time to become acquainted with this software and I think you'll come to like it.

John,

You may be on the right track in thinking your P1 processor is being overloaded with the amount of multitasking you are doing.? I access the Forum using dialup..have never had DSL and the pages of our new Forum software load virtually as fast as my friend who uses DSL.

Have you done spyware scans to determine if there is anything in the background adding to the overload?

It has also been suggested to do a disk cleanup, using the Windows utility, removing temporary internet files, plus RUN    %temp%    from your START menu to delete all temporary files.? Finally defragamentation of you hard drive.

I perform the above routines every couple of weeks to keep my machine clean as a whislte!

Back
Top Bottom