Just a warning for those seeking a Temporary Work visa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylWatton

I thought I'd share my story as a warning to others. I wish I had read one like this before executing my plans.

I am a Canadian citizen who thought it would be a good idea to Workcamp in the US for a while. I easily secured a part-time teaching job and thought I had done enough research online to qualify for a TN visa which listed teachers as a qualifying occupation.

I should have consulted an immigration lawyer like the Border Patrol officer chided me for with a cold sneer.

Apparently, "teachers" doesn't mean teachers. Only college instructors and professors or researchers qualify for a TN visa. High school and elementary teachers do not. I wouldn't be allowed to do any other work for any other employer nor work as a self-employed individual neither.

I had entered the US as a visitor to have the job interview and was given a job offer.
An employer could have then petitioned for my visa status to change but it takes probably a couple of months or more and is an expensive fee (and would have been rejected anyway).
So I decided to drive to the border, leaving my camper behind in Tennessee. I crossed back into Canada then tried to cross the border back into the US to apply for the visa.
When it was denied, I was barred from re-entering the US on the grounds that I might work illegally and so was no longer eligible to enter as a visitor. Separated from my camper and trapped on the Canadian side of the border, I was essentially made homeless.
Now, I am awaiting original and signed documents sent by courier to prove that my American job offer has been withdrawn and that I have significant ties to Canada with respect to residence and employment.
A very expensive lesson learned.

Sorry to hear your story. Those of us who have gone through the work visa (and related stuff) understand the process and the rules. Anything short of the "official" process could be viewed as attempting to bypass the system and work here illegally, and get you blacklisted. For sure, an immigration attorney could have saved you some grief.

Good luck with being allowed re-entry.

It's my understanding that Canada doesn't make it any easier for a US citizen to work or volunteer there.  We inquired with Parks Canada about volunteering and were told that the chances of being able to get a position would be very small and paid work was not possible.

Sorry for your troubles, but I find it refreshing that immigration laws are being enforced...somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom