Ending my first assignment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddie

Well, I'm wrapping up my fist session ever.  I go to another location Friday.  Just some thoughts about it.  I volunteer for the Forest Service and I can't say enough good for the people I've worked for or the job itself.  The next job will be for the same but a different location.

The living arrangements have been interesting.  The volunteers have our own CG and it has been tight with 4 big units in an area which should probably have three.  Except for me, we are backed into heavy forestation which has brought out a rattler and a copperhead that we know about.

One couple who has been here many years is great to live beside.  The other lone woman has also been very pleasant and our dogs have enjoyed each other.  The other couple has managed to alienate everyone here.  Since we are packed in a small area this has not been pleasant.  They just have an attitude rules don't apply to them and they complain about everyone else.

They are due to pull out tomorrow and I think we are having a party.  I don't understand why some people don't mind being disliked but I guess it's like water on a duck's back to some.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Yes, but it was a commercial campground rather than a Forest Service job.  We had a couple who signed up for the job but objected to nearly every facet of the work they had agreed to do. The CG owner even changed their work assignments in an attempt to satisfy them, but after several weeks they got fired. Socially they were fine, but the rest of us felt they simply did not want to work at all. Thought all they had to do was show up and get a free campsite in exchange for lord-only-knows what.

When we camphosted at Death Valley, all of the hosts were wonderful, friendly folks. Except one couple who decided they didn't like us and nothing we did was ok with them, including hassling my parents when they came to visit. If you had 4 couples, you had a 75% friendly ratio which isn't bad.

You will always have folks like that, whether out RVing or living in your neighborhood. We've been hosting in Ft Stevens and 99% of the hosts are great people and I'm already looking forward to seeing them next year, and this year isn't even over. The few that are either bossy or aloof, well that's their choice, I'm polite to them but I'm not going to let them ruin a great summer. I've reached the age where I choose to not let people like that bother me, if it were to reach a point where it was affecting me, I'd pack up and leave, life's to short to put up with crap like that.
John

Back
Top Bottom