EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: The Day the Music Died: Where did all of the music go! ??  (Read 9825 times)

Stan Birch

• ---
The Day the Music Died: Where did all of the music go! ??
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
Prompted by Tom's  How not to sing any national anthem , although I still have a few Welsh genes in my structure, got me to reflecting upon what has happened within our society over the past 50 years. :o

After the all time 1965 wonder: Sound of Music, what of any significance has actually transpired in the music world since that time??

Andrew Lloyd Webber?? Please . . . No!!

I am certain that all of my kids really hate me, and are trying to get even by continuously buying us front-row seats in Toronto Andrew Lloyd Webber concerts !!  ;D Yuk!! Talk about a failed effort  social engineering!!

The music of the 40s was wonderful, much like the music of the 50s and 60s but then the inevitable Law of Entropy took over. Within the music world, what of significance has happened over the past 50 years?? Nothing!!

And while Tom asserts How not to sing any national anthem; although not denying my rich Welsh heritage, I am confronted with a similar problem in our small community of about 20 churches who have all sent their pianos and organs to the scrap heap, merely because there is no one left to play them. ::). Musical instruments have new been replaced by with non-musical I, IV, V strummers.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:35:01 AM by Stan Birch »
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T Ford V-10
Newmarket, Ontario

8Muddypaws

• ---
Re: Where did all of the music go! ??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
Plenty has happened.  Sorry you missed it.  It wasn't Roseanne Barr.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Stan Birch

• ---
Re: Where did all of the music go! ??
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
Plenty has happened.  Sorry you missed it.  It wasn't Roseanne Barr.

Fortunately, I did miss it! It was pretty much ALL gruesome! What did I miss??

I well remember the years of my early organ studies; something like I have never experienced before nor since. As I played Bach's music, hour-after-hour, day-after-day, year-after-year, our souls/spirits eventually became inextricably and inseperably intertwined! An absolutely awesome experience which continues to this day!

Whenever I play His music, I am always hyperaware that I am always playing a three-way conversation between: Me, Bach, and his God!! In all of my 70 years, I've never experienced anything more satisfying and exhilarating!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:48:44 PM by Stan Birch »
Newmarket, Ontario

8Muddypaws

• ---
Re: The Day the Music Died: Where did all of the music go! ??
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
This is already pointless.  Enjoy your rant.

Stan Birch

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:09:18 AM »
This is already pointless. Enjoy your rant.

When you say "pointless" I would presume that you are referring to your reluctance to express your personal point of view. And that's unfortunate in a Forum where divergent opinions tend to be welcomed!

For sure; if you have something to say, then say it', with the full assurance that I am probably the last person anyone on this forum who would choose to tolerate an ultra opinionated slug like me!

In all sincerity, I have presented my opinions. And instead of hearing a mere resigned admission of defeat, it would be really great to hear your perspective on the subject! 

Newmarket, Ontario

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »
I well remember the years of my early organ studies;

I remember knocking on friends' doors on Saturday and asking their Moms "Is Johnny coming out to play?", only to be told "Sorry, Johnny is practicing piano all day today". We didn't own, nor could we afford, a piano and I sure miss that experience whenever I attempt to play my electronic keyboard.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »
I think the music of today is awesome. Katy Perry, Eminem, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, the list is endless. Most everyone I know thinks the only good music that was made came out when they were 15 years old. Every thing since then has been junk. These people are only cheating themselves.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16:34 AM »
Stan, maybe some "opposing views" and some curiosity ...

Andrew Lloyd Webber?? Please . . . No!!

Help me out here; What's "wrong" with Andrew Lloyd Weber's work? I enjoy most of his music, and wish I had a small fraction of his composition/creative abilities.

The music of the 40s was wonderful ...

One of the older players in our uke band perceives that post-40's music is "rock and roll", and she dislikes rock & roll. It makes for some interesting discussion when we introduce "new" numbers to our portfolio.

... in our small community of about 20 churches who have all sent their pianos and organs to the scrap heap, merely because there is no one left to play them.

Interesting observation Stan. I grew up attending one of the numerous Welsh chapels in our village  (three times on Sunday). The hymn singing was indescribable, and the pipe organ (see photo) was an incredible instrument. Once a year the congregations of the various chapels (different denominations) got together for a "gymanfa ganu" (festival of hymn singing).

Musical instruments have new been replaced by with non-musical I, IV, V strummers.

Aye, but we try. While being interviewed by a Bay Area news organization, I was asked what playing (strumming) the ukulele had brought to me. My reply: "I've sung a cappella all my life, and now I'm finally able to accompany myself on an instrument".

Edit: FWIW that's me in the photo with Ozzie Morris, the organist. My Dad snapped the pic from the balcony, and I scanned the print years later.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:45:20 AM by Tom »

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »
One thing I've noticed over the years, Stan, is that although most (not all) current performers in the rock (or worse) field are (to me) unlistenable, there is some (far from all) very nice music coming from whoever wrote some of that stuff -- stuff that (I'm dated, but...) Percy Faith, Robert Goulet, etc. or even The Carpenters, would make decent for my listening.

Note that "current," as used above, means since the Beatles, for me.

I'm with Tom, wondering what's wrong with Andrew Lloyd Weber. Sure, some of his stuff is, to me, pointed in a "rock" direction, but some of his stuff (just about all of Phantom, for example) is superb.

Don't get me wrong: Bach, Beethoven, etc. are great, but so is Judy Collins, the Smothers Bros. (sometimes), Pete Seeger, Hank Williams Sr., Charley Pride, Kingston Trio, Odetta and many, many more in folk, country, bluegrass, madrigals, some jazz, show tunes, just to name some of the stuff that makes (to me) good music. There's a LOT of good stuff out there beyond the traditional classics, although I can listen to those for days, too.

But I'll add that most of the stuff that uses distorted instruments, voices yelling instead of singing, harsh stuff, overpowering bass and/or drum sounds (thud, thud), foul language and such related stuff is, for me, unlistenable -- I've actually walked out of stores that were playing some of this stuff over their PA systems, because it's hard for me to take more than a few moments of that stuff.

Obviously we each have different tastes, but the (commercial) availability of music that I can enjoy is rather broad based, but usually in the lower volume selling material rather than the "mainstream" stuff that seems to dominate the music stores.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
Larry, I think we have similar "unlistenable" lists.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
While their certainly is a lot of trivial music around (e.g. the I, IV, V strumming stuff), I suspect that was true even in Bach's day.  Local composers no doubt created mediocre "chamber music" for tawdry ensembles to fill the evening hours at the local gentry's hall.  There was plenty of bad opera too.  Only the very best of those times survived until today, so the crap simply got forgotten. That same filtering process continues today, though the greatly improved communications and media storage of this time may make it seem as though it lasts longer.

Andrew Lloyd Weber? I think he has written as much good stuff as Rogers & Hammerstein or the Gershwin brothers. What about Leonard Bernstein or Lerner & Lowe? Is that all crap too? I don't think so, but tastes differ. Is Maurice Ravel a bad composer because he lived in the 20th century? Is Sousa no good because he is most famous for popular marches?  Yo-Yo Ma just a hack strummer?  I could name other modern talent that will no doubt have works that survive the ages, but if you don't like their music, the argument would indeed be pointless.

My tastes are eclectic, spanning from classics to pop and country, from Bach & Beethoven to Hoagy Carmichael & Cole Porter, to Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond and Paul Simon.  In every generation there is music I don't care for, but the amazing thing to me is that each and every generation has produced new (at the time) and memorable music.  The music hasn't died at all - it thrives despite the changing times!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
If I IV V is trivial stuff, I'd better quit learning to play blues  :(

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
Sorry, it seemed to me that you were trolling for an argument.  At any rate nobody can force you to like anything so what's the point.  But others have stepped in and made it perhaps a worthwhile conversation after all.

The circle of fifths exists because it is what most of us find pleasing to our ears.  It creates a logical and harmonious framework for emotion and lyric.  The 30-40's were all about exploring that framework with only some throwing in occasional excursions outside the wheel.  (Thelonious & Reinhart come to mind) The 50's was all about the 3 chord song.  Celtic music is hopelessly locked into I-IV-V. 

If you actually listen to classical music like I do you'd hear the same I-IV-V going on in multiple layers.  It's woven into a complex tapestry but if you listen you'll find it.  At any rate you'll feel it when it resolves back to root.

Want to hear what happens when those rules get ripped to shreds?  Listen to some Alan Holdsworth.  Not predictable, not your run of the mill 'strummer', and I know you're gonna hate it.  But you won't ever forget it.  Alan is only one of many exploring the outer frontiers of alternative modes.  The really weird stuff gets off into micro-tunings that hurt my ears, but someone likes it.

If anything this is a golden age of music.  The kids who are studying music today are doing so because they love it, not because their parents force it upon them.  My grandson is quite obsessive about his music and plays French horn, trumpet and mellophone at a philharmonic level.  (He also plays piano & guitar.)  He's been principle horn in the Phil for 3 years, as well as composing and scoring.  At 16 years of age he's performed in Spain, Bosnia, Germany, France, several Russian states and all over the US.  He only likes classical music and hates jazz (but there's hope for him yet). 

Let the old pianos used as instruments of child torture be chopped up for firewood!  I'd rather have 50 musicians who really love it than 500 who don't.

Among my friends there are countless gold&platinum records, dozens of grammys, an educational foundation based upon a song, countless awards, royalties like you wouldn't believe, and some really good music.  Most of it I-IV-V too!

IMHO if you can't find music you like today maybe the problem is not the music. 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
Muddypaws, you must be very proud of your grandson. I was in total awe reading your message.

A friend and colleague used to play in the NY Symphony some years before I got to know him. We commuted together for a couple of years, and we joined a Barbershop chorus together. He truly was a talented musician and singer, and played in some local bands. I could only admire his musical talents.

Jammer

• ---
  • Moar Aluminuminum!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
A choral conductor friend of mine is fond of remarking that there has been no improvement in the quality of music since 1750, only changes in taste.

The folk revival of the 60s and 70s ushered in the idea of musical performance as a means of entertaining one's self, and so we had a plethora of chord organs, banjos from Sears, and Big Note music books.  Karaoke now occupies a similar space.

Live music has been in decline since the 1930s as technological replacements of various kinds of arrived.  Last weekend my band played 9 half-hour sets over two days at an outdoor festival that had attendance of over 1000.  We got $0 from the venue and around $100 in tips.  Not enough to cover 5 people's travel expenses, but hey we got to park for free in an alfalfa field with no water, no electricity, and a few dozen other RVs and tents.  We do it because we enjoy it but will never achieve the mastery that we would if it were a full time job. 
2004 Suburban 2500 4wd 8.1 / 2010 Airstream Classic 30' /
1997 K2500 regular cab long bed pickup / 1971 Cayo C-11

8Muddypaws

• ---
Re: The Day the Music Died: Where did all of the music go! ??s
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
I am indeed.  He's an awesome kid.  Living proof that music has not died, despite what Don McClean and the OP have to say about it.

I tried barbershop for a very short while but I couldn't handle the late nights, the drinking, the wild groupies.....

Jammer,

Sounds familiar.  No money to be made in live performance anymore.  But we do it anyway.  Just because.  Next week I'll be doing 3 days of 2 hour 'round robins', one with the person who owns the very first recording ever made of Bob Dylan.  She paid him $50 to play harmonica.

There's lots of money being made, but the best new music is not what's making it.  Clear Channel is the devil incarnate.  Nothing is more frustrating than hearing the same loop 8 times a day, on 50 different stations. 

What's the difference between a country and jazz musicians?  One plays 3 chords (and the truth) for 10,000 people and the other plays 10,000 chords for 3.  (I collect musician jokes)

I'm fan of both Howard Alden and Kenny Chesney, and lots in between.  (I've opened for Howard a couple of times in my dark past.  Now THAT was a humbling experience.). Still waiting for Kenny's call.  LOL

I just realized that I've been listening to Alden & VanEps (13 Strings) for the last 20 minutes!  If only I could play any of that.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
I failed to mention an interesting 'happening' with my colleague. He and I flew on a short business trip and had breakfast with some 'new' colleagues. During casual chat, one of the guys mentioned that he played trumpet, and my colleague was on it. From that simple discussion, they formed Full Spectrum Jazz, a 27-piece jazz band in Silicon Valley.

They cut their first CD within a year or so. I recall the day that an excited bari sax player pulled out the 'gold' disc from that first recording, and popped it in a CD player for me to listen to. Since we were in my car, I was crossing my fingers that the CD player didn't chew up their gold disc  :o

18 years later, the band is still going, although they're down to 18 members, and a lot of familiar names/faces have disappeared. Meanwhile, my colleague is back in NY, too far to commute to band practice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:17:41 PM by Tom »

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Stan Birch

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »
I remember knocking on friends' doors on Saturday and asking their Moms "Is Johnny coming out to play?", only to be told "Sorry, Johnny is practicing piano all day today". We didn't own, nor could we afford, a piano and I sure miss that experience whenever I attempt to play my electronic keyboard.

That's all there was in those days: no TV, no internet; just a rickety old piano with a cracked sounding board. Only one neighbour in the entire area had a TV; and were their kids ever popular!!  ;)

My mother was the guardian of my music education, always standing behind me with a wooden ruler while I was practicing. Whenever I stopped practicing, I experienced 12" of wrath being applied to my shoulders.  ;D
Newmarket, Ontario

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
We were too poor to own a piano, even one with a cracked sound board. This was my musical debut, and the only 'instrument' I recall owning, except for a harmonica some years later.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
I've seen them more than once.  I believe some of the current members went over from Norm Benners band when he and Janice moved out of the area.  I played with the Benners for several years.  Norm's son David is one of the hottest bass players around and Janice's son Kevin is a physician/musician/crazy man extraordinaire - the founder of 'Burning Uke', AKA Dr. Sparkles.

Small world.  Where are you now?

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
Aye, definitely a small world. The other 'founder' I mentioned was Roger Levinson; He still plays trumpet with them, and is in the videos.

Where are you now?

We moved out to the California Delta when we retired. Bought this house as our "future retirement home" while we were still working. We'd boated on the Delta since the 80's and, having this house (while we still worked) made it too easy to extend our weekends by staying over on Sunday night.

Stan Birch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »
Stan, maybe some "opposing views" and some curiosity ...

Help me out here; What's "wrong" with Andrew Lloyd Weber's work? I enjoy most of his music, and wish I had a small fraction of his composition/creative abilities.

Gary is suggesting pretty much the same thing when he says:"Andrew Lloyd Weber? I think he has written as much good stuff as Rogers & Hammerstein or the Gershwin brothers" just when I was about to use Rogers & Hammerstein as the antithesis of Andrew Lloyd Webber! Webber sounds sort of low key ho hum from beginning to end: nothing new or different within a show, or even from show-to-show. It just totally lacks any kind of musical originality or genius.

Lloyd Webber's genius is probably best summed up amongst many accusations of plagiarism by  Dutch composer Louis Andriessen: "There are two sorts of stealing (in music) - taking something and doing nothing with it, or going to work on what you've stolen. The first is plagiarism. Andrew Lloyd Webber has yet to think up a single note; in fact, the poor guy's never invented one note by himself!".

I have studied Rogers' music in depth, and never cease to be amazed by his absolute genius: originality, diversity, and awesomely complex chord structures.

So . . . how do the critics compare the two:

Academy Awards: Rogers 15; Webber 1;

Tony Awards: Rogers 35; Webber 7

Emmy Awards: Rogers 2; Webber 0

Pulitzer Prize: Rogers 2; Webber 0 (Oklahoma! and South Pacific)

One of the older players in our uke band perceives that post-40's music is "rock and roll", and she dislikes rock & roll. It makes for some interesting discussion when we introduce "new" numbers to our portfolio.

I started to play some of the old rock and roll standards from the 50s, over ten years ago after getting a Yamaha keyboard; and speaking of I, IV, V, I was amazed at how simple it all was; an observation shared with MuddyPaws who agrees: "The 50's was all about the 3 chord song."

Interesting observation Stan. I grew up attending one of the numerous Welsh chapels in our village  (three times on Sunday). The hymn singing was indescribable, and the pipe organ (see photo) was an incredible instrument. Once a year the congregations of the various chapels (different denominations) got together for a "gymanfa ganu" (festival of hymn singing).

Aye, but we try. While being interviewed by a Bay Area news organization, I was asked what playing (strumming) the ukulele had brought to me. My reply: "I've sung a cappella all my life, and now I'm finally able to accompany myself on an instrument".

Edit: FWIW that's me in the photo with Ozzie Morris, the organist. My Dad snapped the pic from the balcony, and I scanned the print years later.

I cannot sing a cappella! I was given a voice left over from a cigarette-smoking bull frog. So that is why I am so dependant upon musical instruments.

When I was a young fellow, just recently married I played a tenor ukulele, which was pretty much useless, because I cannot sing. So I got a guitar and learned to play it in a manner that some thought was pretty good. I know that must have been totally awesome, because my wife took my precious instrument to the next door neighbour who was conducting a garage sale, and in exchange, proudly presented me a big wad of cash: $7.00!! :o That was 40 years ago. Lesson learned: NEVER mess with she who must be obeyed. ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:49:49 PM by Stan Birch »
Newmarket, Ontario

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »
Interesting perspective on Andrew Lloyd Weber. I hadn't heard/seen the stuff about plagiarism.

Gary is suggesting pretty much the same thing ...

I must have read it wrong or maybe misunderstood; I thought that you and Gary had opposing views of Lloyd Weber  ???

... speaking of I, IV, V, I was amazed at how simple it all was;

There's nowt wrong with 3-chord songs per se, although there's a big difference across the wide range of wide 3-chord songs written. As for simple, that suits me fine with my lack of music theory and limited playing ability.

... I played a tenor ukulele, which was pretty much useless, because I cannot sing.

I assume that means you were strumming (chords on) the uke and therefore, without your voice, you were missing the melody. The lead guitar player for a local rock group joined our uke band last year. At the end of the first practice, I asked him how it went, and he said "I can't figure this out, and have no idea how to play this thing". The following week was quite different and, within a few weeks, he was playing stuff I didn't know could be played on a uke. He's one of the few folks in the band who can and does pick notes, and he has some solo parts in our concerts; Our Music Director and I look at each other in disbelief at what he can do picking the uke. I don't believe I've heard him sing in the band, but he has no problem picking the melody.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:46:50 AM by Tom »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »
I didn't take "I,IV, V strumming" as a damnation of any and all music that uses a I, IV,V chord base. Rather, a comment on the many so-called musicians who mindlessly strum the basic three-chord sequence and mumble some all-but-meaningless lyrics.  Purely a qualitative statement.  The three chord sequence is inherent in nearly all western hemisphere music - that's why oriental or Indian music sounds so strange to us European-Americans.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:06 PM »
While their certainly is a lot of trivial music around (e.g. the I, IV, V strumming stuff)

I didn't take "I,IV, V strumming" as a damnation of any and all music that uses a I, IV,V chord base.

Thanks for the clarification. Hope you can see why I was confused by the first quote above.

The three chord sequence is inherent in nearly all western hemisphere music ...

Nearly all? I play almost no rock & roll, and I'm still learning to play blues, both genres using 3-chord progressions. I play a lot of 4-chord progressions such as I-vi-IV-V7 and I-ii-IV-V which were used in 1,000's of songs. Some of our musical experts might call these 5-chord progressions I-vi-IV-V7-I and I-ii-IV-V-I because they often return to the first chord. But, as I've said numerous times, I lack the music theory to speak with any authority; It's just what my ears tell me.

Time to return to my online music theory class.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
The three chord sequence is inherent in nearly all western hemisphere music - that's why oriental or Indian music sounds so strange to us European-Americans.

An interesting comparison of Western and Indian music suggests a different reason for the latter sounding "strange" to westerners:

"Indian classical music has 7 basic notes (Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni), with five interspersed half-notes, resulting in a 12-note scale. Unlike the 12-note scale in Western music, the base frequency of the scale is not fixed, and inter-tonal gaps may also vary."

I find this mind boggling  ???

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
.... the base frequency of the scale is not fixed, and inter-tonal gaps may also vary."

I'm reminded of one of the many parties we held at our prior home, where a rule of the house was that you didn't leave until you'd sung a song of your choice. One of my Indian-born colleagues burst into song, and his wife stared at him as if she'd never heard this stuff come out of his mouth before. It sounded really strange to me, and I put it down to too much booze. We'd already hid his car keys and decided he wasn't driving home. In retrospect, I'm wondering if he was actually singing "in tune"  ???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:07:22 AM by Tom »

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
8Muddypaws,

I'd love to come and just hang out with you for awhile.  I'm sure I would learn a lot.
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

Stan Birch

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »
I must have read it wrong or maybe misunderstood; I thought that you and Gary had opposing views of Lloyd Weber  ???

Perhaps . . . but no one is beyond hope.  ;)

There's nothing wrong with 3-chord songs per se, although there's a big difference across the range of wide 3-chord songs written. As for simple, that suits me fine with my lack of music theory and limited playing ability.

What's wrong with 3-cord songs?? How jealousy, envy, and all that kind of stuff??

Ever been to one of those high end restaurants that have an accomplished resident piano player?? They play songs that are ever so familiar, but they play the songs with awesome chord structures I have perhaps never heard before, but could neither duplicate nor write then down.

Can your speak Russian?? Nope. You can only speak the language you were raised in from the womb. Music is also a language; and what you can play, has a whole lot to do with the environment in which you were raised from the womb. Can I play jazz?? Nope!! I don't even understand it. At the outset, to be able to play jazz, you have to be black, and raised in Louisiana !! If you grew up in that kind of environment, you don't even need to take music lessons. Jazz just tends to pour from your fingertips from the outset.

Example: Boris Brott, conductor of the Hamilton Symphony Orchestra tells the endearing story of one day playing a piece of music he had never heard before, but he didn't know it's name. In his quest to solve the mystery, his mother revealed to him, the title of the composition, as well as the name of the composer: "That is the piece I practiced for the best part of the year while you were still in the womb"!! :o

In the same manner, having been raised in a liturgical music environment, I understand, and have learned to not only accept, but enjoy my destiny. While I might not be able to play jazz, or some of that awesome piano lounge music, I've learned that the things we seem to want most, are those things which are unattainable; and to that end, I have learned to enjoy the talent I have been given: to improvise so well and so effortlessly within my limited familiar musical environs.
Then there are the exceptions like Diana Krall, who can do anything!! Love her; love her music! She is absolutely amazing!![/quote]

The following week was quite different and, within a few weeks, he was playing stuff I didn't know could be played on a uke.

Do you not find people like that, at least a little bit annoying.  ;D
Newmarket, Ontario

Hosted by Over The Network