Workamping went from Great to BAD! Need advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HippieHighway

About a month ago, we were contacted by our current workamping boss, after sending emails for possible workamping opportunities. We spoke to the man several times on the phone and decided that we were going to make the trek from VA to TN. Before that happened though, our car broke down and we ended up having to scrap it. Before we scrapped it though, we contacted our now boss and asked him if he had any possible transportation we could use. He said Yes! He had 2 work trucks and a scooter that we could use to get back and forth to work once we found employment. Also, we discussed the fact that we would be working for a free spot. When we arrived everything was fine and dandy, but has now turned to a complete nightmare. He was a single man at the time, so we would all hang out together as if we were family. Our first mistake. Come to find out, none of the transportation runs, has a title or registration, so I moved my family half way through America, thinking I could still provide for my family. We came here under false pretenses. If we would have known that part of the truth, we would have never come. We cant get a job, because we have no way to get there, and he wont let us use his car. And I cant move my motor home, because it is a 83 and needs serious repairs to the brake system before we leave anywhere. The journey killed our breaks. And that costs money which a job is needed for money and wheels are need to get a job. The area is so spread out the closest town is 12 miles. Something that cant be walked to on a daily basis. And now he has gotten a new girlfriend, so we are banned from the house, so we are by ourselves, in a non existing "RV Park" in the middle of Tennessee with nothing. And now he has told my husband today that once we get campers, my 2 year old daughter will have to learn to not be so loud or she will have to remain in the motorhome. I cant have someone telling me what my 2 year old daughter can and can not do, as if that is controllable for a toddler to remain quiet ALL DAY, or is forced to remain inside my motorhome. I dont know what to do anymore. I have never felt so stuck and hopeless. I fear that he will kick us off his property before we have the chance to get the money we need to fix our breaks. I dont know what Im looking for here. I guess Im looking for advise, whether it be legal advise, or advise if someone has been in my shoes. I just need some help. Its sad when in todays world, kindness is stolen and lies are all you get back.

Oh my gosh I feel so sorry for you! Sounds like you've had a really rough time and need to move along. It can't get much worse, so cheer up, it's only going to get better.

Several things to try doing right away...

(A) Go to the nearest church and pour your heart out to the minister, he may have or know of some options
(B) Call Red Cross, they help out with disasters and temporary aid, and this sounds like a disaster
(C) Try to get on with Amazon right away, they offer camping and full time jobs with overtime plus part time jobs, so you both might be able to work, once accepted, see if you can snag enough funds to get to Kentucky to work the Amazon job, it's only through Christmas, but you could bank up some money in a hurry with the free camping and the income coming in, you can walk or commute with other campers, so that solves the commute issue, a few months of regular plus overtime pay could help you a lot!
(D) Once the Amazon job is secured in advance, it might be easier to get help getting your RV fixed and there, I know that sounds backwards, but if you have a much better situation to go to, helping hands will probably step forward to help you get there, so try to get on with Amazon and then try to get your rig in good enough shape to get there and park and work. Amazon just needs to know you have a camping rig, forget to mention it's broke down, because hopefully you can get it fixed enough to get you there.
(E) http://www.travelersaid.org/ Travelers Aid might be able to help too, also Salvation Army and possibly Goodwill

Get complete details on Amazon and other paying RV gigs here, this is a free site and the info is awesome.
http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/work-for-rvers-and-campers-blog.html

Good luck, and just accept you may have been scammed by the "boss" but keeping trying and see if you can something new in the works, somewhere else and then try to get a little help to get you there.

My heart goes out to you, but you sound TOUGH like you can work through this and get on to greener pastures. Smile, think positive, and keep reaching out for possible solutions.  Something will come together if you keep searching.

Others suggestions would be to call the local Community Action Agency in the area and the County where you are located for financial assistance.

Thank you for the replies. I will look into all of that. Also, I am a stay at home mom, so my husband working would not be an issue. I homeschool my oldest, so my youngest would be with me.

Things are going to all come together for you I'm sure.  As mentioned before you could work the holiday Amazon team.  There is a new location this year in Murfreesboro TN where they are still looking for people.  Where in TN are you? I have some family there who may be able to help you out.  I'm not sure but its worth a shot.
Good luck and God Bless.

I think I'd contact the county welfare office and see if they can help you out.

There are times when a person needs some help and that's what the welfare system is designed to do. 

The Salvation Army can help too. They get to the people that really need a helping hand.

Keep us updated on how you are making out. 

Back
Top Bottom