Retrofit your camera to wirelessly transmit photos from camera to mobile device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

I just purchased an 8 GB Eye-Fi at Best Buy for $12.99, but I think it was supposed to be $49.  Eye-Fi is a memory card that contains built-in wireless.  I have a Canon 60D and wanted to see if it would actually work, and it did!

Inserting the card into a camera

I did a couple of experiments: First - took the phone out of range of my phone or Android - when I came close and turned the camera on, the photos uploaded automatically.  You can set the app to only upload photos to your device when using wireless, so you need not worry about exceeding your carrier's limits.  In this image, I took a picture, and then watched the image upload - even has a progress bar at the bottom of the app on the phone.
Transmitting photos to my phone

Of course it is not for all applications, but when I am at home and taking photos of the back yard entertaining, it sure is nice to have pictures upload to my cloud storage automatically without having to connect the camera or memory to another device.

Well, a lot of newer cameras do but the eye-fi cards are a nice option for older cameras that don't.

Or pro grade cameras, which generally do not and have incredibly expensive adapters from the parent company instead that they want to sell you.

Assuming that we are comparing apples to apples (Eye Fi mobi SDHC 8 GB + WiFi Class 10 Memory Card) I'd say you got a deal.
B & H is selling them for $39.95. 

After having learned my lessons the hard way (not once, but twice) I don't buy anything less than 16 GB because I have lost images when I've exceeded my card's capacity.  (I shoot raw so that I can recover details and I really hate it when my photographer professors say "I told you so")

I've noticed that the prices on a lot of 8 GB cards have come down.

I'm almost incompetent when it comes to photography - sure I've lots of photos (over 25,000) but none are really any good, however they give me good memories anyway... that's the bad... the good... 8 GB is plenty good for my expertise :) 

Here's the funny story about that $12.99 price - I was perusing Best Buy and chanced upon the rack with the camera memory, and remembered that I wanted to make my old 60D WiFi capable and saw the 8 GB Eye-Fi (I've been using a standard 8GB card since I purchased the camera.  I picked up the Eye-Fi, and it rang up at the cash register for $49.  I told the sales gal that it is listed on the rack for $12.99, so she checked and sure enough, gave me that price.  The next day I went in and the rack price had changed to $49

I can see that happening.  When I worked retail, cashiers had some discretion regarding pricing depending on amount and how busy we were.  In other words, was there anyone available to do a price check.  We didn't want to make the customer wait especially if there were other customers in line. Of course if it happened too often with the same customer then we had to check every price challenge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom