2005-2007 Ford Expedition Tow Vehicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the7thdream

Hello Everyone!

Could really use some straight forward answers to our dilemma.  :-\

We just bought a 2015 Jayco White Hawk Summit Edition 27DSLR 30ft TT....Dry Weight is 6000...Total GVW is 7500

Problem is we have a 1999 Ford F150 SuperCab XLT with only a 4.6 Triton/4 sp auto/3.55 axles and it does have the HD towing pack.
The GCVW though is only 11,500.

We know we will not be able to tow this trailer with this truck so we are trying to find in the next 4 weeks an acceptable replacement.

My first question is this: Can a 2005-07 Ford Expedition (XLT/Eddie Bauer) tow this TT with a 3.73 axle and a 3-valve SOHC 5.4 Triton V8 (rated at 300 HP)? We are really on a budget and can't spend more than $8500....Also, how about an older Expedition with the older 5.4 (260 HP)?

If not, could we buy another Ford Truck/SUV in the 2005-07 year range (F150/250) that could tow this trailer safely and through the Baker Grade, Siskiyou Mountains and Cascades? We really need help!

I have gotten so many different grey areas looking online at other forums and websites and now we are even more confused. Any help or your own experiences towing a 7000 pound TT and a 5.4 engine would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You So Much! Stephan & Sally  8)

I own a 2006 Ford Expedition. We used it to tow a camper much the size you are talking about with no issues with power. The truck is rated for 9300 lbs towing capacity so once loaded you will be on the upper end. We were as well but the truck handled it very well. Now the bad part of it. What you will find in the short wheel base of the truck makes handling less that ideal. The Expedition is on a F150 base but the wheel base is shorter. I used an Equalizer hitch system and a wind deflector by ICON to help with the handling. The wind deflector help when being passed by SUV and semis. I would lose the air between the truck and camper and get a large amount of sway. Also being at the upper end I had some rear end issues that needed to be repaired. I have since went to a larger rig so I do not use the truck to tow the camper but keep it to pull the boat and utility trailer. It has a very tight steering radius on it that makes backing up the camper and such very easy. Another plus. 

Expeditions are limited to 900 lb tongue weight and that's a gross weight of 7000 lbs. Pack light, use a WDH and sway bar and you should be fine.

Lumpy75 is right.... the short wheel base (130" I believe) on the Expy is it's Achilles Heal when it comes to towing a long trailer like that.  The payload is an issue as well. You'd be far better off finding an F250 Or Chevy 2500 Crew cab, 8' bed. They have a WB exceeding 170". It makes a huge difference in handling a long trailer. You don't get as much "Tail wagging the dog". Apposing semis and/or cross winds won't blow you all over the road (as much). You will find the braking system and suspension far superior to the Expy. This is especially important in mountain towing.

Sure, you can do it in an Expy, but why would you want to if you don't have to. I would get the right tool for the job. The Expy is sorta like using a hand saw when you could use a skillsaw instead.

All of the above....

The Expedition CAN tow it....but you may be less than happy with HOW it tows it.  That's a large trailer, and you're on the cusp of being in "3/4 ton" truck territory (ie F250, Ram 2500, or Chevy 2500 or better).  It isn't just the weight you're contending with on a long trailer, it's surface area and size....which as mentioned above can cause an ill handling setup such as "the tail wagging the dog".  Not good.

You didn't mention how many people you usually take with you, but a modern crew cab 2500 series truck can be configured to seat six comfortably.  That's what I would recommend, and since you're going to be towing in high elevations up steep grades, you should consider a diesel as well.

My set up is a 30' travel trailer weighing just under 8000 lbs gross.  I tow exclusively in the Rocky Mountains at very high elevations.  I used an older gas F250 for a couple of years, and while it did the job, I wasn't thrilled with the performance.  I bought a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with the Cummins diesel....what a world of difference.  I barely know the trailer is back there....the truck manhandles it, even in crosswind situations.

If you don't want to spend the money to buy new, shop for a good used truck (pick your flavor).  Look for one that's been well kept and preferably has maintenance records.  All will do the job nicely.

Thanks to all for your advice and input so far, still researching and trying to find someone that has almost the same setup.  ;D

I wouldn't even try it. I don't agree with most of the people here pushing diesel trucks on everyone, but here I do. I have close to what you have here.  2006 Ford f150  super cab 5.4 tow package.my trailer is about 6200 pounds. 27 foot. I am fine on the mostly flat land of southern Michigan,  but we have a bridge  that is half of the grade on the baker. I can not maintain 45 going up it.  Truck is in 2nd gear and about 5000 rpms wide open throttle to the top of it, and that's doing 70+ hitting the start of it.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom