Newbie here! fifth wheel vs park model for military family of 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adk0922

me and my husband are very new to RV and full timing. To be perfectly honest we have never really stayed in an RV and certainly never have lived in one. So we are pretty new to all the information and knowledge of any types of RVs.since we are military we will only be moving every two to three years if we moved more than once in a year it would be surprised or emergency move. so what do y'all recommend for a family of 4 and possibly bigger that wouldn't be moving very often every few years or so... A fifth wheel or a park model. We were leaning towards fifth wheel but recently found out about Park models. We still do not know much about Park models but I've done some research. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you

Most park models and like mobile homes in that they don't have holding tanks and fresh water tanks. They are hooked to a fresh water source and to sewer connections. They are used for more permanent sites like you might need, but are no good for weekend trips or vacations.

What you select may depend on the location. In a colder location, a good park model may be a better choice

You can also buy park models set up permanently in a park.  When you get transferred, you sell that unit and buy another in the area where you are moving to.

As others have said, a "park model" is usually set up more-or-less permanently after the initial delivery. Usually it is sold and left behind when you move. A "park model" is often too wide for highway travel (requires special permits and a specialized moving company).

There is an in-between category called a destination trailer. It is movable but not intended to be moved regularly. It has slide-outs so that it meets normal highway requirements for travel, but is designed to be used only in parks with electric, water & sewer hook-ups. Not a "camper".  It has residential type appliances and bathroom(s). Most are about 40 ft long, so have a comfortable amount of space.

Here are several models from Forest River:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/DestinationTravelTrailers/

Thank you all for your answers and information. It was very helpful. Thanks Gary for the destination trailer info we probably will not be doing the park model now that we know the new information that you gave us but we are definitely looking at now destination trailers and still fifth wheel. Since it will be our home we just want to make sure it has enough space for our kids and us and feels like home.
thank yall

So since your planing on a 5th wheel now I would start studying the floor plans and what works best for your family of four. Then once you figured out what fit you best as far as RV then you can shop for a tow vehicle that exceeds the weight ratings of the RV..

Also realize that if you will be moving it, you will need a proper tow vehicle, the Destination trailers are like too heavy to be pulled by what ever tow vehilcle you have.  They are pretty big,  and require a pretty good sized truck.

Our daughter and family are career military, but pretty much attached to one base, (Norfork), so they bought a house and then a small camper for travel and weekends. 

Look closely at where you would put the unit, some Mobile Home parks don't allow full time in RV's, so be sure you get your ducks lined up!

Let me be frank.  I wouldn't begin to go full time RV'ing with two children.  Kids have too much "stuff", no matter the age.  Too many toys, too many clothes. 

And I take it you want them to go to good schools, etc.  Chances are you'd end up in a trailer park, and many such places are not the best places to raise a family.

I was an Army brat and moved a lot - 13 grade schools.  To be honest I'm glad RVs hadn't been invented then.  There were some trailers but the RV industry was just starting so it wasn't even an option then.  We rented apartments, a few houses, and were in some military housing.  Living in them provided a more "normal" childhood environment in an otherwise abnormal life.  I'm glad my parents had me go to "regular" schools where I met kids who weren't necessarily Army.  Even when my sister and I shared a bedroom I still had lots of room for toys and such.  I had other neighborhood kids to play with and even though the friendships weren't very long I had fun with those kids.  I'm very thankful we didn't ever live in the proverbial "trailer parks".  Today I may enjoy traveling in an RV but living in one permanently with kids is a whole different ballgame!  What are you going to do with it if you get transferred to some place with miserable winter/summer weather?  Trailers aren't usually intended for very cold or very hot weather and you would be much better off in a permanent building.  If you end up in a tornado or hurricane area, you don't want to be in a trailer or mobile home if you're in it's path.  You need to think about your family's safety, whether it's the neighbors or the weather.

I'm sorry, but I agree with Bamaman.  It may sound good but I think the practice would be less than desirable.  Please give your kids the most normal life you can by giving them "real" places to live with neighborhood kids to play with and civilian schools to attend.  A lot of kids have trouble adjusting to the constant transfers so you need to make it as easy on them as possible.  By the way, there are people who fulltime with a family BUT they choose the lifestyle and move with the weather.  You, as a military person, don't have that option.  You go where you're told to go and it's not always the most pleasant place. 

ArdraF

Also realize that if you will be moving it, you will need a proper tow vehicle, the Destination trailers are like too heavy to be pulled by what ever tow vehicle you have.  They are pretty big,  and require a pretty good sized truck.

If living in an RV type of trailer and moving relatively rarely, it makes more sense to have a professional mover transport the trailer to the next location. It sounds expensive at first, but its actually far cheaper than owning your own BIG TRUCK just so you can move it at the end of each assignment. It's even conceivable the cost will be reimbursable as a moving expense, whereas the cost of owning the truck won't ever be.

While I fully agree with Ardra & Bamaman about the space & environment needed for children, I think both are underestimating what is available in destination-type trailers. Many are 40 footers with two full bedrooms and maybe bunk space too.  Whether that amount of space (around 400 sq ft) is enough for your family is a big consideration, though. The choice of an RV park makes a difference too, and that is often driven by the price you are willing and able to pay and sometimes the distance from the base. Some parks are dumps, while others are pleasant neighborhoods.

http://www.keystonerv.com/residence/

Back
Top Bottom