Litter box location in travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTTransplant

We are going to take our two cats with us on this next weekend trip. I know some people put their litter box in the shower, and I assume they put a mat under it to catch the litter that the cats track out. Do you get much litter tracked into the shower itself?

We are considering cutting a hole at the edge of the bed platform and putting the box there. It would keep us from moving the box for showers. Anyone tried that?

DW suggested we bring her cat when we first got the MH.  I quickly nixed that! 

I suppose with the right litter box, but I don't know what that would be.....we have tried almost every type over the years....high sides, covered, doors, automatic.....
and litter ALWAYS gets thrown or tracked out.
It's why i refuse to let the litterbox in the house and religate it to the garage.

I'll be following this thread in hopes of learning something that will make me a bit more tolerant of the cat & will therefore make my DW happy.

The trick with a litter box is to clean it at minimum, once every day, but preferably anytime the cat uses it, scoop that out and into the garbage, then keep the garbage carried out often.

Just get a handheld dust buster to suck up the errant litter or a little whisk broom and dustpan.

I had a semi-disabled friend and their cat traveling with me for a few days. We just used the shower for the littler box, it was easy enough to sweep up loose litter with a little broom and dust pan. Every time I cleaned the box, I took the doggy for a walk to the dumpster with that and whatever other garbage we had, so the cat was happy, the dog was happy, the friend was happy and my garbage pail was perpetually emptied.

We only used the shower area for about 5-10 minutes each, once a day. In that case, we moved the litter box, swept out the litter. After showers, I mopped up the shower floor with first the used washcloth, then second with a paper towel, then the litter box was returned to the shower where it lived for the next 23 hours and 40 minutes.

They had the coolest cat I've ever met, big kitty, about 20 something pounds but not fat, just big boned with super soft fur. He was so laid back, just watching my 6 pound dog bounce around, several times leaping over the cat who was laying down and he barely batted an eye. I was amazed.

However, the cat had "visited" in my motorhome several times while parked in their driveway. So when we loaded him up to go on a trip, he was a tad confused but not stressed, as he had already had a chance to explore the RV many times before.

So... it's always good that pets get to explore the RV some before you head down the road. The more visits before the trip, the better for all of you.

You are going to have to move the litter boxes to clean them so if they are in the shower you move them, take a shower and then put them back. In the words of Wendy, Easy Peasy.

I am a full timer living with three cats in a 32 foot class A. I have two litter boxes in the shower. I scoop them everyday and change the litter once a month. No issues with odor whatsoever. I have asked many visitors to my RV if they could smell the cats and they are always astonished to find out that I have three cats, two litter boxes and no odor.

As far as litter outside the litter box goes I get a bit every day, but not enough to worry about. What I have found is that if I don't change all the litter once a month then they do a lot more digging and scattering of the litter. In other words, when the litter gets smelly to the cats they try digging for cleaner litter.

We also keep our litter box in the shower.  We have three cats and the box gets scooped multiple times a day.  When we shower, we remove the box and sweep up any litter with a dust broom.  Then rinse the shower and when we are done, the shower floor gets toweled dried and the box goes back in.  It is very easy to clean this way. 

The only issue is keeping the shower door open.  We prop it open with the cat litter bucket.

chiwawamama said:
The only issue is keeping the shower door open.  We prop it open with the cat litter bucket.
I got lucky. My RV came without a shower door, just a shower curtain. I have removed the shower curtain.

Back
Top Bottom