Yosemite National Park Desk Office Program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkeene12121

My name is Larry Keene. I retired about two years ago after 26+ years of service with the Kern County Sheriff's Office.

Since I retired, I have been volunteering in Yosemite National Park in the Desk Officer program. I am currently the Desk Office Coordinator for Yosemite.

Desk Officers assist the Yosemite Law Enforcement Rangers by writing motor vehicle accident reports, theft reports (no evidence or suspects), lost and found and bear damage reports. We also do "Bear Patrol" every morning with the main focus being to look for bear damage, look for food storage violations and asking campers to extinguish morning camp fires.

The Desk Officers work three days and get six days off as a general rule. We occasionally assist with traffic control on busy holidays and do other duties as needed as well.

There are two seasons for the Desk Officers to work. April 1 through June 30 and July 1 through September 30. I have one opening in 2015 for the July through September season.

The National Park Service provides us with full RV hookups (including propane), free use of laundry facilities and a discount card good for 50% off two of the restaurants, 50% off all recreational activities and 10% off virtually everything else.

The volunteer opportunity is open to couples, one of whom must be retired Law Enforcement with at least five years of active duty. You must pass the same background as the Law Enforcement Rangers.

Let me know if you are interested in volunteering for three months in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I can give you more details at that time. Please email me at [email protected].

Thank you

Larry Keene
Desk Office Coordinator
Yosemite National Park
209-372-0608

Back
Top Bottom