resealing a roof vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93Coachman

OK wonderful peoples. Another question.  Can you use the same butyl caulking tape to seal a roof vent too ??  Then use silicone around it just like a window.  Many Thanks again  Don

silicone.... noooooooo

I would think no silicone.  It's not all that great of a sealant and nothing will stick to it ever again....
I started a question here recently tryiong to figure out what it is really good for.... where would I use silicone when nothing else better would do?  The only things that came up is RTV engine gasket sealant and glass fish tank corners.

I'm sure others with much more experience than me, but form what I have seen a good Dicor caulk is probably the most common for sealing around roof things, followed by the butyl tape or eternabond.

My favorite for resealing a roof vent is Eternabond double-sided tape applied between the vent and the roof just like you did with the butyl tape and windows.  The Eternabond will do a super job of sealing around the screws.  However, butyl tape will work reasonably well.  But, instead of silicon, get some self-leveling Dicor caulk or similar product to seal the screwheads and edges.

Using the butyl tape under the vent frame when setting it is fine, but to seal edges I would use self-leveling lap sealant (e.g. Dicor) or Eternabond (or similar) roof sealing tape. Silicone isn't a good choice on an RV except for around windows. Even there my first choice would be something like Geocel's tripolymer (e.g.Proflex RV).

Thanks. I guess I over estimated in the butyl tape ordering so I'm well stocked.  glad I can use it somewhere else.  I'll find some eteranbond  and thanks again. Don

Back
Top Bottom