Flooring questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdat

Ok, I'm a little confused by the choices of types of flooring and what is recommended for a replacement floor. We currently own a 91 Newel that is in fantastic shape, although we would like to replace the carpet with tile as our pappillions seem to believe that carpet is like a giant puppy pad.
I like the idea that I have read about here using "luxury tile" as I've installed stick on tile squares and found it pretty simple, I've also installed the so called "click" together laminate flooring and that isn't too difficult.
So, my question; what constitutes "luxury tile", is it only the armstrong brand, or does it also include the allure brand or any others. Gary also mentioned using a separate type "glue" that he discussed when he was talking about helping a friend install "luxury tile" in the friends coach.
Ernie has mentioned although I do not remember the exact statement that he won't install vinyl tile?... Ernie if I read that wrong please correct me as I may have misread or as I get older "misremembered" the quote.
So what's the deal with vinyl tile, self stick or glue?
Thanks
John

John, the term luxury vinyl tiles has many facets. It usually means that the product has a "picture" adhered to various thicknesses of solid vinyl. There are many manufacturers and many private labels. As an installer, I have experienced all the types of this material and narrow down the products that I feel comfortable about that I feel will give the end user a trouble free installation.
Armstrong, Mannington, Shaw, and Tarkett are the manufacturers that I feel to have the best to offer. Price point? Since after 43 years in the business, and such a small area as our coaches, going first class is where I'm going anymore. There are other folks that want to go in another direction.
Any luxury vinyl material, installed by me, will be adhered with pressure sensitive adhesive.
The click together material was conceived for the jobs that are do it your self and have marginal sub floor issues that if those issues were not corrected, a glue down installation would telegraph those imperfection thru the new floor.
I'm off duty, now~

When I say "luxury vinyl" or "luxury xxxxx" I'm generically referring to the upper quality tier of that material type. Flooring material starts getting noticeably better around $3/sq ft and by $4 or $5 it's really nice. By "nice" I mean it lays flat, interlocks firmly (if it is that type), resists stains and spills, and wears well under traffic.

Most flooring manufacturers make flooring in a variety of quality (price) levels. Armstrong as well as others. It's pretty much a product where you get what you pay for in terms of quality. The TrafficMaster Allure product is so-so in its basic form but gets to the "luxury" class with the Allure Ultra product. It comes in plank or simulated tile format. Whether it's a good choice for your RV is subjective. Ernie won't use install it, but I might. I think a lot depends on your needs.

Since your puppies piddle, moisture proofing is a major requirement. You want to minimize seams (they may leak) and you need stain resistance and easy clean-up. A top quality,large format vinyl would seem to make sense for that. So would sheet vinyl (minimizes seams). People think "cheap linoleum" when they hear sheet vinyl, but if you look at the really good stuff (price, again) you would likely be amazed.

The biggest problem that I encountered using Vinyl Laminate Planks was the difficulty getting the tongue and grove edges to click together.  I hired the two young guys next door to complete the install and had then take their time to make sure the edges snapped together completely.  IN my opinion it takes two installers working together to get it right, although I am sure a professional like Ernie could do it, not me however.

The biggest problem that I encountered using Vinyl Laminate Planks was the difficulty getting the tongue and grove edges to click together.

Just to be clear, laminate and vinyl are two different flooring products. And both come in several quality grades.

As with many things, there is a technique for the click & lock type of constructions. And tools to make it easier, e.g. a tapping block or pull bar. The tools can be home made or purchased, but the technique is mostly just experience.

Back
Top Bottom