ZEP Wet-Look Floor Finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill dane

Two years ago Applied Zep to the whole coach and now need to refresh the roof.  Went to Home Depo and the new container is now labeled Wet-Look Floor Polish.  On my old container it said that it was Acrylic Based with leveling agent, the new container does not have that wording. 
    Question:  Anyone know if it is the same formula or is it a new product  without Acrylic?

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

If you can find Zep, you need to grab it.

The company was located in NW Atlanta area (Cartersville), and their whole production facility burned to the ground.

I've not heard if they're liquidating or rebuilding.  Their products are especially popular with specialized construction companies like Servicemaster that get smells out of houses with partial burns.

I bought a gallon this spring and it says Acrylic based with leveling agent on it. Just put 4 coats on the 5er and it looks great.  Haven't used it on the roof tho.  Does it work on roofs and does it help keep them cleaner? 

Bamaman said:

The company was located in NW Atlanta area (Cartersville), and their whole production facility burned to the ground.

I've not heard if they're liquidating or rebuilding.  Their products are especially popular with specialized construction companies like Servicemaster that get smells out of houses with partial burns.
ZEP.Inc is still very much in business.

Bamaman said:

I picked up some today, based on your info. I've been needing to buy some. Even if they're producing product, sales after a fire will be good for them.

ZEP.Inc is still very much in business.

But, are they producing product?

[quote author=Dan23]
But, are they producing product?
[/quote]The facility that burned didn't manufacturer ZEP floor products.  It was operated by a division called AmRep that manufactured aerosol based cleaners and solvents.  Zep Inc. is an International company with facilities in many places.

I read a lot of posts over the internet on using this to improve my 5th wheel's terrible cap fade and I thought I was reading where after a couple years this stuff was really peeling and fading and was a royal pain to clean up? Lot of posters wishing they had never applied it. Are you folks not seeing these issues?

Poppys 5th Wheel said:
I read a lot of posts over the internet on using this to improve my 5th wheel's terrible cap fade and I thought I was reading where after a couple years this stuff was really peeling and fading and was a royal pain to clean up? Lot of posters wishing they had never applied it. Are you folks not seeing these issues?
Most folks seem to agree that proper preparation is the key.  "Cap fade" would have to be further defined to determine if Zep would have the desired effect.

i suspect he means the colored fiberglass nose is fading from the sun.
The grey colored nose on my new class c (leftover 2013) is already fadded around the top of the radius transition as it slopes past vertical over to the roof.
The deal I found had the colored sides with graphics, but I sure would have prefered white.

I'll add this, the dealer had used something on my RV to hide that fade, as I didn't see it when doing my walk through and PDI.  It wasn't untill a couple rains and a week or so, taht I started to notice it.
Another reason to be leary of buying from a distance and giving the dealer time to "prep" the unit for show.  Would have been good to see it as it was sitting on the lot.

That's probably correct, Brad.  Zep won't restore the color in faded paint, but removal of oxidation from fiberglass will allow Zep to preserve the restored color (or lack of color  :) ) if that's the posters situation.

I would be remised if I did not reply. I totally researched zep before I applied it on my 1996 Allegro I read 100s of post and followed the exact application instructions. My coach has been done for almost 3 years and I just put a refresher coat last week. I have encouraged many rv's to do there coaches but I insist they follow the correct application process. I have read post where people said it yellowed or flaked after finding they applied the product with a spray bottle and a mop. I can only say preparation is 90% of the end result. So I can only suggest to the people that had a bad experience if all the old wax and dirt and oxidation is not completely removed it will flake and it will yellow. I have a friend who had to use 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the oxidation off his coach. After bkf and a good washing he applied the wet look zep and he is so happy he is dancing.  8)  I do not sand to gain anything by recommending zep  except that I'm not spend untold hours every six months waxing my coach and at 67 years old a lot of back pain. Have a great  day and keep then shining ;D

So with a  newish coach, how would you go about prepping?  Let's say the caoch has the swoosh decals all over it.....

blw2 said:
So with a  newish coach, how would you go about prepping?  Let's say the caoch has the swoosh decals all over it.....
I simply wouldn't use it on a new coach that didn't require any restorative action.

You'll know when any oxidation needs to be removed from the exposed fiberglass areas.  You can evaluate the Zep at that time.

I did get some peeling, but it was after it sat in the sun in Phoenix for 5 months.  I bought the stripper, and carefully applied and rinsed off, then a couple more cleaningas and reapplied.  This was after 3 1/2 years. 

Just Lou said:
I simply wouldn't use it on a new coach that didn't require any restorative action.

You'll know when any oxidation needs to be removed from the exposed fiberglass areas.  You can evaluate the Zep at that time.

My "new" coach is a '13 model, and already has fading at the top round of the front cap.  The dealer had put some sort of armor all stuff on it to hide it,but that is now gone.  I really need to get it in for a warranty repair I guess, but I figure they'll take soem short cut approach rather than paint (which is what I would assume is the best way)
So I'm just tinking ahead... and thinking taht if this acrylic stuf is taht good, it might be good and easier to do before I need to fully restore a problem.....

Hello all & thnx for all your help. Love this site, & the great people here. Just wondering if anyone can help answer the original question? I have the same issue which I think got overlooked after the first couple replies. What is on the shelf at Home Depot is not called Zep "Wet-Look Floor Finish" any longer. It is now called Zep "Wet-Look Floor Polish". It is not a finish anymore and is now called a polish. It still says "19% solids" on the front. Can we expect the same results from this new product? Is there anyone that could possibly compare the ingredients and report the differences here? thnx again....

pitbull said:
Hello all & thnx for all your help. Love this site, & the great people here. Just wondering if anyone can help answer the original question? I have the same issue which I think got overlooked after the first couple replies. What is on the shelf at Home Depot is not called Zep "Wet-Look Floor Finish" any longer. It is now called Zep "Wet-Look Floor Polish". It is not a finish anymore and is now called a polish. It still says "19% solids" on the front. Can we expect the same results from this new product? Is there anyone that could possibly compare the ingredients and report the differences here? thnx again....

Well, how about that. The stuff I just put two coats of on my RV does indeed say polish on the label. Since mine was a recoat to two years ago, it took only about an hour to put on each coat after washing the RV with Dawn dish detergent, including the roof. My applications were done using an extendable handle microfiber floor "mop."

The original coats done two years ago were a lot more work because 15 years of filth had to be removed using Reliable1.

I did my '93 almost 2 years ago. I used TSP and an abrasive green scrubbie, not a kitchen sink scrubbie. I had a lot of oxidization, a lot! The graphics are what give away its age not the finish, they are straight stripes, no swooshes or tribal looking graphics. people comment on it all the time.

Bill

Sent a E mail to ZEP asking them if  Floor Finish and  Floor Polish are the same formula.  Never heard back.

Bill Dane
99  CC  Allure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom