ZEP Wet-Look Floor Finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have a look at the MSDS for each.  I'll bet you can find them online.  MAYBE you'll get "feel" about them being the same or not.  Won't tell you the exact recipe, but I have found that you can sometimes tell with reasonable certainty.....

MSDS for the polish....Ethoxydiglycol; 2-(2-ethoxyethoxy)-ethanol 111-90-0 1 - 10
Tri(butoxyethyl) phosphate; tris(2-butoxyethyl) phosphate 78-51-3 1 - 5

MSDS for the finish...2-(2-ethoxyethoxy)-; Diethylene glycol, monoethyl ether 111-90-0 1 - 10
Tri(butoxyethyl) phosphate; tris(2-butoxyethyl) phosphate 78-51-3 1 - 3

Any chemists out there? lol.... :-[

I'm not a chemist, but I loved chemistry in high school and I love blowing things up. I know that ethanol is an alcohol, and the finish doesnt seem to have any alcohol in it. Otherwise they are very similar. Of course, so is water and hydrogen peroxide.

Caryl (whose brain is full of worthless information that sometimes comes in handy... or not)  :)

pitbull said:
MSDS for the polish....Ethoxydiglycol; 2-(2-ethoxyethoxy)-ethanol 111-90-0 1 - 10
Tri(butoxyethyl) phosphate; tris(2-butoxyethyl) phosphate 78-51-3 1 - 5

MSDS for the finish...2-(2-ethoxyethoxy)-; Diethylene glycol, monoethyl ether 111-90-0 1 - 10
Tri(butoxyethyl) phosphate; tris(2-butoxyethyl) phosphate 78-51-3 1 - 3

Any chemists out there? lol.... :-[

You do not need to be a chemist to compare the CAS numbers for the two ingredients. CAS number 111-90-0 is present in both formulations at a concentration of 1 to 10% and CAS number 78-51-3 is present in both formulations at a concentration of 1 to 5% in the polish or 1 to 3% in the finish.

R

Well I don't know what any of that means.... but one thing's fer sure.... they aint the same stuff.

blw2 said:
Well I don't know what any of that means.... but one thing's fer sure.... they aint the same stuff.

On what do you base that statement? The CAS Number is an unique numerical identifier assigned by Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) to every chemical substance described in the open scientific literature and many substances not in the open literrature. The two components listed for the products are IDENTICAL, only the percentage of the phosphate ester is different for each product. The listed names do not have to be identical, since that are several nomenclature systems; that is the reason for the unique CAS number assigned to every chemical. I doubt that there is really much difference between the two products, since both products contain 1 to 10% of the ether and either 1 to 5% or 1 to 3% of the ester.

BTW, you were correct in your statement when you said, "Well I don't know what any of that means.... "

R

RLSharp said:
BTW, you were correct in your statement when you said, "Well I don't know what any of that means.... "

R

ah, ok.
Well thank you for that.
I was being silly, FYI
edit:  comment removed

RLSharp said:
On what do you base that statement? T......only the percentage of the phosphate ester is different for each product. ....names do not have to be identical......I doubt that there is really much difference between the two products,.......
different percentages
different names
not much difference implies that there is, in fact, a difference.

Granted, maybe not much....... but there is a difference.... and again, i was being silly.

And I will add this, thank you for your clarification and help understanding the chemistry and designators!

blw2 said:

Perhaps I am lacking a basic understanding of the English language but I can not see any "silliness" in that statement. It looks pretty definitive to me.

blw2 said:
different percentages
different names
not much difference implies that there is, in fact, a difference.

Granted, maybe not much....... but there is a difference.... and again, i was being silly.

And I will add this, thank you for your clarification and help understanding the chemistry and designators!

Difference percentages perhaps but MSDS's normally only show a range for the actual composition. Showing a range of 1 to 10% for the ester in both cases may or may not indicate an actual difference and the range of 1 to 3% or 1 to 5% may or may not indicate a difference in composition. The "different names" are definitively clarified by use of the CAS Number -- that is it's purpose.

I guess that having spent many years writing and coordinating the MSDS writing program for thousands of chemicals and chemical mixtures for Eastman Kodak Company makes me more observant about information reported on MSDS's. My background probably makes me too critical about comments concerning information on MSDS's.

R

thnx for all of your help. Glad we have you here RLSharp. your understanding of the MSDS sheets is very helpful. if i understand correctly, both products use the same ingredients (even though the name might look different, the same CAS # means it is the same ingredient) but the percentage of each ingredient may or may not be the same.  and since the co. changed the name of the product, i'm thinking there's a good chance there is a slight change in the percentage of each ingredient. i'm predicting not a big enough amount to make any BIG difference in the results we will see on our rv's finishes.
  i'm gonna give it a try...
  thnx again RLSharp...
  and thnx for ur help also blw2

Back
Top Bottom