The Woodstock hippie generation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getinaway

I never realized how many of the Woodstock hippie pothead generation was into the RV scene. Even when I saw some of the weird stuff that was in the RV parks I've been to, I never put 2 and 2 together.
I guess it makes sense though.

Maybe...lol
I was 17 in 1969, never heard of Woodstock until a few years later....have never smoked dope....Maybe I have led a sheltered life.

poncho62 said:
Maybe...lol
I was 17 in 1969, never heard of Woodstock until a few years later....have never smoked dope....Maybe I have led a sheltered life.

Nah, Woodstock was not heavily marketed. 

Lots of folks never heard of it until AFTER the event.

Remember this was before social media, and computers.

sorry I was across the world on another continent compliments of USArmy while they had the festival of "Peace and Love" as I'm sure a lot of us were. but we did have some good dope over there...that's what they say.

Characterizing a generation based on a single event is simply irrational! Sure there were (and are today) "potheads", but that ignores the majority of normal, responsible, people of any generation.

Your headline is inappropriate, my opinion only, for any civil forum such as this one.

In fact, a lot of recent retirees came from the generation that matured in the 60's; that is simple math, it doesn't make them hippies. Similarly, a lot of the sucessful ones can now afford, both the time and the dollars, to participate in the RV experience. Most likely we were not impaired while acheiving that success.

Ernie
US Army - 1964 to 1967

I grew up so. Cal in the 60's so I couldn't  make it all the way out to Woodstock, and although Woodstock was a greater social statement I have always I felt the 1967 Monterey Pop festival woodstock was a better concert musically..

As for the "Hippy pothead" thing,  I was fortunate enough to go to San Francisco in the summer of 1968 and Haight Ashbury was in full bloom,  I went back in 1969 and by then the Peace and Love flame was already starting to flicker, some say the 1969 Stones concert in Altamont officially marked the beginning of the end.

I guess because pot is not as illegal as it was back then  I know of more people that smoke pot today than I knew of back in the 60's, so these must be those "Hippy pothead days".

As for growing up in the 60's, it was all a magical time of my life ,  and, just as Bob Seger once said in a song..... ..."Those are the memories that make me a wealthy soul"

Peace...maybe now, more than ever.

I knew of Woodstock but too far away for me. A few others heard of it too, as they had a crowd of about 400,000.

Pretty sheltered growing up in small town North Dakota in the 60's and first heard of dope at college in 1969. Tried it twice
didn't do anything for me and never tried anything else.

I think the generalization started here is incorrect. I am leaving for the Sturgis Rally in the morning and for most of the attendees it is a nice time
to see a lot of bikes, see some entertainment, and try the various food vendors. It's really pretty tame but can get wild in a few of the campgrounds outside of the city limits. The campground I am in has signs saying quiet after 10:00pm and is a nice peaceful place to stay.

It's interesting to be called a hippie pothead.  Like many others, I was brought up in the midwest and was serving my country when Woodstock happened.  Never even tried pot.  However, at age 72 with the aches and pains that accompany the age, I might try it just to see if it can really help neuropathy like some have touted.  Trouble is, it's against the law where I live and though I might be a member of the "Woodstock hippie pothead generation", I do try to live up to the laws of the land.

That said, the young people of the Woodstock era had a lot to be dissatisfied with.  Every time we turned around, one of us was being drafted into an extremely difficult, deadly and unreasonable war.  I dare say, the OP has not experienced the threat of total life disruption in the same manner.  It doesn't mean more recent soldiers haven't been subjected to difficult, deadly and unreasonable war, but since Vietnam, participating in war has become...well, optional.  So, the Woodstock hippie pothead generation had a legitimate beef and is sure to have been impacted by the era - good or bad or just different and I'm proud to be a member...just don't like hearing us classified as something less than desireable.

I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.

I was 13 years old when the Summer of Love hit San Francisco, however instead of being there I spent that summer with my grandparents in Elizabeth, NJ.  My grandfather wouldn't even consider letting me go out to Woodstock, so I missed both events.

We did have front row seats to the Newark riots that summer, though.  The Newark city limit was just a few blocks down the road from their house and at one point the disturbance came to within a half mile of them.  That night my granddad said if I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, make sure he was awake before I left my room.  When nature called, I stuck my head out the door and saw him sleeping in a chair with his hunting rifle in his hand and pointed down the hall at the back door.

That's probably the same summer as the Detroit riots - 1967 I think.  Jerry's parents had tanks on the empty corner lot in the next block.  Not all memories of that time are positive.

ArdraF

Well, I was the next generation....born in '63, came of age in the mid 70's.  We weren't thought of as hippies by then, but rockers/stoners....we saw a ton of concerts, and smoked enough ganga to cause smog over a decent sized city.

But like most of the generation before me, we grew up, went to college and/or in the military, got jobs raised families, and eventually wound up in RV's.  Haven't smoked any silly weed since about 1987....but once I retire from my corporate gig in a few years, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.....

I do kinda have to snicker at the prospect (and image) of a couple in their mid to late 60's sitting in their recliners in a huge diesel pusher and passing a bong.  More power to them...... 

BTW....in a pinch of irony....Mz Friz is 45 and has never done any type of illicit drug in her entire life.  She was an honor roll student and straight as an arrow growing up.  And she wound up with me.....what a pair to draw to.

I find it interesting that the OP resorts to name calling to make his point. How grown up. Meanwhile I could name a long list of successful Woodstock hippie generation graduates. Let's start with Obama, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Being from that era, I don't consider myself a hippie or a pot smoker. Did drink a lot of beer in those days. Was in the Navy at the time. As for pot, I tried my first and only joint while ashore in Germany. Took a couple of draws and told the person that gave it to me that I much preferred my Winston cigarette.

Lots of great people and industry came from that era.

Proud to be a real baby-boomer, born about a year after the real war. Call me that if anything.

As we all grow older, it's probably not going to be the things we did, that we will regret,

but more likely the things we didn't do.

I enjoyed being young... and now, I will enjoy being old.

I say to all the Pot drama ...."Let it Be"...

( that was very Hippyish, wasn't it? )

We are also from that generation, but not hippies or pot-smokers (alcohol is my choice of drug). We lived across the Hudson River from Woodstock but knew nothing about it until local radio began warning of the huge traffic jams on all roads into the area around Kingston, NY (the nearest city). I guess the advertising was primarily around the NYC and northern Jersey area, cause nobody in the mid-Hudson Valley had a clue about it until it happened.  We visited Woodstock a number of times over the next several years, enjoying the small shops that cropped up after the famous event, the sidewalk vendors and the street musicians. Bob Dylan was a regular street player there for a few years and we chatted with him a couple of times. You could buy an amazing array of oddball stuff in Woodstock - anything from water pipes and roach clips to fresh ground peanut butter and homemade candles, most all of it made right there by the "hippies" that had made Woodstock home.  It was probably decades before the local farmers got their sleepy village back.

In 1968 - 1969 I was away on an all expense paid Vacation to lovely SE Asia as a member in good standing of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children's Social Club. 

The only Pot I have ever used is the Pot we kept up stairs under the bed, so we wouldn't have to go outside in the snow to the outhouse as I was growing up on my Grandpa's farm.

By this I would guess you can call me somewhat miffed by the OP characterization. 

The only good thing I can remember  about the Hippy Generation was the Burning of the Bras.  Now that is what I call freedom...

The only Pot I have ever used is the Pot we kept up stairs under the bed, so we wouldn't have to go outside in the snow to the outhouse as I was growing up on my Grandpa's farm.
Come to think of it, the old 'chamber pot' and the pot being discussed here, smelled a lot alike. :D

As an old farm boy, I have used the former, but was never even tempted to use the latter.

Tom Hoffman said:
The only good thing I can remember  about the Hippy Generation was the Burning of the Bras.  Now that is what I call freedom...

I'm quite sorry that I was too young to appreciate that aspect of the era......  :)

While I'm sure it actually happened somewhere, "bra burners" was a derogatory term coined in the 60's to describe the fledgling feminist movement Can you believe it? Women who actually wanted equality and choices with their life decisions! A lot of disruption in the 60's. Much of it quite positive.

Back
Top Bottom