Allison Trans - What Fluid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RGrimm

I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H with a CAT 350 and a 3000 Allison Trans -

Does anyone know what type of Trans Fluid was used in these transmissions when used in a Winnebago (Synthetic or non-Synthetic)?

When I looked at The Allison Booklet that came with the MH depending on which type of Fluid was used (TranSyn non-TES 295 or TranSyn TES295) the maintenance schedule is quite different. (see attachment)

Thanks,
Russ

Attachments

• Allison3000x.jpg
    Allison3000x.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 9
Russ - ours came with TranSyn so maybe you have the synthetic fluid, around 2005 is when the changeover was made.  We have a label on the engine to that fact, if you can't find a label, call Freightliner.

Thanks John.  Once the Rain stops (Florida afternoon storms) I'll go out and see if I can find a label in the engine area.

-Russ

I called Freightliner (Gaffney) and was told the Allison 3000 Trans in the 2006 Journeys had synthetic oil in them.  Since I purchased my Journey used in March (third owner),  I am attempting to establish my maintenance schedule going forward. When I purchased the unit the dealer (43800 miles) changed the CAT 350 Oil and Filter and the Onan Generator Oil and Filter. I am just not sure where the Allison maintenance is. I contacted Detroit Diesel in Jacksonville, FL (near me) and they gave me a price of $375 to change the Oil/Filters in the 3000. At this point I will probably get the Trans Oil/Filters changed so I have a maintenance start point and for a little piece of mind.

-Russ

Glad you found out, it's tough without previous maintenance records.  TranSyn is expensive - we had ours changed at I think 85K miles and it was about $200.

John Canfield said:
Glad you found out, it's tough without previous maintenance records.  TranSyn is expensive - we had ours changed at I think 85K miles and it was about $200.

Before I purchased our Journey I pulled a CarFax on it and found it originally came from Arizona (First owners), the last owners were from Tennessee and worked with NOMADS Mission Volunteers. I checked with Gaffney when I was up their in June and they had no record of it being serviced there.  The unit seemed to have been well taken care of (Interior/Exterior) but it is the mechanical maintenance that is what is important to me.

Once I get the Trans Fluid changed I will at least have a be starting point for "The Big Three" - Engine, Trans, and Generator. The tires were replaced in 2012, as well as the 3 House Batteries and 2 Chassis batteries. So I will be good from this point on.

-Russ

As John mentioned, the Synthetic changed happened around 2005/2006. Ours came with Transynd, and it was claimed to run cooler, shift smoother, change it's own diapers, etc.. There was also an extended change interval for fluid and filter, and at the time.. warranty as well. Has anyone looked in the archives around here, or the other forums?

why worry about whats in there now? IF you feel its in need of changing etc just change it and install 295 synthetic.It will last longer than you will(syn295)

The gold (HD)Filter kit is 80$ and 295 is $44 per gallon

Thanks Everyone.

As I indicated in my post above (post #4 of this Thread) I called Freightliner and was told that Yes the Allisons in the 2006 Journeys did have synthetic oil in them. Also in that post I said I contacted my local Allison Service Center, got a price and would probably get the Oil and Filters changed.

-Russ

Definitely get the two externally accessible filters changed - it's not real expensive and recommended every 2-3 years (depending on usage). For the fluid, consider getting it analyzed by Blackstone Labs or another fluid analysis company. Odds are that your synthetic tranny fluid is still fine if typical motorhome usage - I'm still running the original in my 2004 (73k miles) and it still tests good. TES295 fluid is too expensive to throw away needlessly. Allison approves of extending change intervals when a reliable quality testing program is used.

Also, use the change interval calculator on the Allison site - it is more accurate  than the charts because it asks questions and tailors the recommendation to the actual situation.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/fluid-filter-calculator

If you take it to just get the filters changed - external ones - be very specific that is all you want done. Took mine in last year and requested that the shop change the external filter and they drained all the fluid, replaced the filter and the fluid and wanted to charge me $250+ for the fluid (Transynd). After some discussion, I ended up with a free fluid change.  The external filters should not take more than about 1/2 gallon, but you'll have to buy a full gallon.

I chose to do my own.  It's a simple job and requires only basic tools (a good torque wrench is basic), a big drain pan (depends on your sump size and location of the transmission cooler), a funnel with a long flexible hose, a ladder and a bungee cord.

Why a ladder & bungee cord you ask?  Put the ladder near the transmission fill tube and use the bungee to secure the funnel to the ladder while you pour the fluid in.  (Don't ask me how I learned this and why I had to clean our radiator)

8Muddypaws said:
I chose to do my own.  It's a simple job and requires only basic tools (a good torque wrench is basic), a big drain pan (depends on your sump size and location of the transmission cooler), a funnel with a long flexible hose, a ladder and a bungee cord.

Why a ladder & bungee cord you ask?  Put the ladder near the transmission fill tube and use the bungee to secure the funnel to the ladder while you pour the fluid in.  (Don't ask me how I learned this and why I had to clean our radiator)

Ok why the big drain pan if you only loose 2 quarts as mickey53usa claims

A friend and I just changed our tranny filters recently. Mine lost 8 qts, his lost 5 qts. They all seem to vary on how much fluid you lose.

8Muddypaws said:
Obviously because I chose to drain the entire tranny.
did not know that as  I thought we were talking about oil required when just changing the filters

Since there seems to be a wide variance in how much oil comes out with the filters having a big drain pan is still good advice.  ;D

we had a leak with our's and freightliner replaced filters, and new transynd $300 plus. Allison guy's told me it was good til it hit 80,000 miles.

it is a 06 and took syn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom