~~backup camera fisheye look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MEL T

Hi a newbie here.
I  just purchased  a 2015 33 foot fifth wheel trailer. I just started looking at RV backup camera systems. I was all set to order a 10 inch 4 cam system then I came across some Youtube videos. And the videos showed that the camera output had a bit of a fisheye look to them. Is this common to all camera systems? Do 120 degree cameras actually see a 120 degree cone line of sight? Is that what causes the fisheye look?

A slight fisheye look is not unusual for a backup camera but some are worse than others. When you start getting past about 100 degrees, most cameras start getting that fisheye look. Manufacturers install them so you can not only see what's behind you, but also your towed vehicle and hookups. Too much fisheye, however, can make it difficult to judge distances. Some new RVs are coming with "backup" cameras that have a narrower field of view, which means you can't see as much in the display at one time, but they're adjustable from the driver's seat so you can point them at what you want to see. Of course, they're also more expensive.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom