Views on the new Brave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

For those of you who have seen the new Brave, a good question to ask is what were your impressions?  No need for any owner gripes (yet), just what those that have walked through them might think.  We saw several at the recent Grand National Rally and even saw a few being assembled during our plant tour.  As a bit of background, we owned a 1973 Winnebago Indian 22 ft (may have been 1974).  There was one similar to ours by the Red Barn at GNR.  But as for this Brave, we just were not impressed and while I don't remember all the specifics, the wife and I formed this impression as we went through the coach in detail.  No it is not fancy and is not designed to be so that was not a factor but I felt I was almost stepping back into my 1973 coach in 2014.  In the factory, as we walked on the catwalk above the assembly line, I noticed that the Brave has a very thin roof compared to the other coaches on the line.  It also has a very flat roof, not crowned like many of the other models.  It looks like it needs a bumper (which it does not have) and the paint job is really basic with no real design that catches the eye  (other than bright colors).  As for the eyebrow, well okay, that was nice in 73 but in 2014 it is not that attractive.  I hope I recall this correctly because I think the price sticker on one of those at GNR was $98,000.  That would seem a bit steep but I am not an expert on prices of new coaches.  Today, we received in the mail a brochure called Winnebago Traveling Times Product News.  The Brave is not even mentioned so is it considered a Winnebago or some sort of stepchild.  Would be interested in other peoples opinions and I am sure Winnebago would be also.

I have not looked closely at the quality or amenities of the new Brave, but my first thought when I saw it was that Winnie was just trying to do what Ford did with the T-Bird and Mustang; what Chevy did with the Camaro and what Dodge did with the Challenger... bring back the original body style to tug at our nostalgic heart-strings.

I think people prioritze things differently when they buy motorhomes vs. cars, and I don't think nostalgia is high on the list when purchasing an RV. I'm quite sure the new Brave is a much better motorhome than the orignal, but I'm not convinced that it's going to sell well (but what do I know).

Kev 

I like them from a styling standpoint; something different. But the floor plans of the two versions are not as usable for my requirements as the '98 Brave I now own. I have more closet space in the hallway and by the bed sides, and more storage in or near the kitchen, a longer couch to lie down on and, finally, more lounging seating options mainly because the dinette was omitted in exchange for two reclining captain chairs and a pull-up table.

My initial interest waned as I examined the floor plan, something that has killed my interest in a long list of RVs. The reliance on slides to gain floor space is something I find hard to swallow. I'm don't live in my RV; I travel in it. Slides represent another step (IOWS work and commotion) every time I set up camp or break down. They also get in the way when underway.

I agree with Kevin, Winnebago is jumping into the retro look like the domestic auto manufacturers have. It is cool to look at, but I wouldn't want to own one.

I spent quite a bit of time looking over the new Brave, shooting pictures and taking some video.  I love it!  Very creative interior and a ton of features.

What the Brave isn't (IMO):  Your general purpose spend months on the road class A for us old retired cogers
What the Brave is: A great tailgater, great for a family with kids (bunk beds), great weekender, and a head-turner in any campground

For me, it was the star of the 2015 models - novel, unique look, unique interior features (a couch that is a bed or a serving table).  Well done Winnebago!

John Canfield said:
What the Brave is: A great tailgater, great for a family with kids (bunk beds), great weekender, and a head-turner in any campground
For me, it was the star of the 2015 models - novel, unique look, unique interior features (a couch that is a bed or a serving table).  Well done Winnebago!

You're right, this would be a great weekender and a great tailgater, and like the domestic auto manufacturers retro cars, it is a head turner.

I loved my 73 Indian 23 foot, it towed the trailer and race car many miles to many races and never let us down. It looked like a MOTORHOME, plain and simple, very little in the way of swooshey stripes and the like. If the new ones are half as useful they will do just fine without the pretty face!

OLDRACER said:
very little in the way of swooshey stripes and the like. If the new ones are half as useful they will do just fine without the pretty face!

If I would have had a choice, i would have taken mine without the swoshy stuff.  everytime I look at it I wonder how long before they start peeling or cracking form the sun.... & I think how one day those things are probably going to mean either money spent or work.  I really don't even like the look of them..... maybe they're on to something with the "plain face"

blw2 said:
If I would have had a choice, i would have taken mine without the swoshy stuff.  everytime I look at it I wonder how long before they start peeling or cracking form the sun.... & I think how one day those things are probably going to mean either money spent or work.  I really don't even like the look of them..... maybe they're on to something with the "plain face"

One thing that surprised me during the plant tour is that I think the tour guide stated that the new mid and upper class coaches are all design painted and not so reliant on decals.  I think he mentioned the company CDI located near the factory which did all the painting on the more expensive coaches.  John Canfield mentioned that company also  in that they recently did some work on his coach.  The whole GNR was a real eye opener for us from the plant operations to the amount of luxury in the big new DP coaches.  Afraid we will never be in a $400,000 coach but will enjoy ours just as much.

Bill N said:
One thing that surprised me during the plant tour is that I think the tour guide stated that the new mid and upper class coaches are all design painted and not so reliant on decals.  ..
Full body paint was only available on the upper end diesel rigs a few years ago, everything else was gel coat and decals.  The market changes and customer expectations change and full body paint got 'pushed down' to less expensive units. (And there's competitive pressures.)

Basically, CDI does all of Winnebago's full body paint jobs (including the 5th wheels) and they mount awnings as required.  Winnebago does the decal application for everything else.

Thanks for all of the paint info John.  This morning I did some more research on the Brave by watching a Winnebago YouTube video on it.  I must say I did see some features on the video that we did not recognize in just walking through the coach and my impression has improved somewhat based on that video.  But, as you said, it is a coach designed for the weekending family or short vacations.  We are not bunks people and the youngest grandkid would never be caught dead traveling with their grandparents (us).  They are in the 19-22 year age group now.  I think the factory folks were just looking for something radically different to appeal to the younger generation in features and price.  They probably made it in the features area.  Not sure how the young families will accept the price but seeing all the other toys they buy nowadays, I am sure to be wrong on that point.

I'll stick with the original.:) I actually wouldn't trade my classic for the new one. My 75 D21 isn't worth a hundred G's on paper.......but as all RVers know. Its not really about the money is it;)

I've been scouring YouTube & Google for as much on this as possible.  ::)

I like the retro look...

I am currently making $$ by selling sewing patterns that I've made online.  Now that I can be parked anywhere & a nice trickle of $$ is coming in, I've really been thinking about tooting around the country next year on a "Road Trip" that could include stops all over the place to teach workshops in fabric stores ... It is probably really feasible for me to pull up stakes & go next year.

The "boxiness" & yellow of one of these is waaaay more memorable than anything with the obnoxious, overly done (IMO) swoooshes.

I need space in a MH to be able to pop up a sewing machine table... & I've been trying to figure out how much room there is in the non-slide model from the forward edge of that little dinette table to the driver's seat.  (I could get this without that 3rd seat being installed) .  The extra 6' table is nice *if* a small rolling task chair could be used in there.

I can really imagine a 1 year tour with a VW beetle as a toad.  Cutesy signage... Oh yeah. :)

The look lends itself to some really cute branding... "RipStitcher's Road Trip" signage with Fabric flowers, bunting (fabric pennants) ... Website, Facebook & Instagram addresses....

& on the back:

"I'm not going home until I run out of thread!"

Or...  A cartoon of my family, whining "Where's Grandma!?!" 

:)

Yep... Been thinking a lot about this one.  The cute factor is just too cool.

Or... I can dump a load of cash & work to rehab the bus I bought this year to "cutify" it. :)

The flip side: having everything I really want ... would be a used 36m. 

I need to do some homework & see if one of these is going to be at ant RV shows coming thru Denver.

SallyCO said:
..I need space in a MH to be able to pop up a sewing machine table... & I've been trying to figure out how much room there is in the non-slide model from the forward edge of that little dinette table to the driver's seat.  (I could get this without that 3rd seat being installed) .  The extra 6' table is nice *if* a small rolling task chair could be used in there...
On my to-do list is to edit and upload a video of the Brave, maybe you'll be able to get an idea of the space.  I have a walking foot sewing machine and when we were living aboard our 40' ketch, I made most of our canvas goods including a full length awning.  I used the machine on the dock - plenty of room.  I also restitched our large mainsail in the salon, it got a little crowded but I made the space work.

I have seen the videos... Still hard to tell if there is 40" there... Or not.

I have a Gidget 2 table made by Arrow (can be seen on Amazon) that is working out really nice in my current bus.

I'm planning to go see these units in person soon. My local dealers have them in stock.

Dan23 said:
I'm planning to go see these units in person soon. My local dealers have them in stock.

You bring up a good point Dan23.  As you know there is another thread relating to QC on newer coaches and we discussed the fact that Winnebago no longer produces for inventory.  Evidently, because this is a new model, they have produced enough for a representative sample unsold/unordered inventory at selected dealers.

Bill N said:
You bring up a good point Dan23.  As you know there is another thread relating to QC on newer coaches and we discussed the fact that Winnebago no longer produces for inventory.  Evidently, because this is a new model, they have produced enough for a representative sample unsold/unordered inventory at selected dealers.

Well, I think I may be wrong. That was my impression form e-mails I received, but I've since gone to one dealer and did not find any on the lot. I did get the promised brochures, tho. LOL

IMHO, the units are usable for more than tailgating, but my RV usage is different than many here. That said, they are a bit too small for even me.

We owned an original Indian and my sil owned a Brave. There is no way on earth we would go back to that box on wheels. Ugly and aerodynamically a loser. :-\

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom