Winch recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becks

Thanks for your thoughts on CB's guys. Now next if you will how about your thoughts on a winch. I have the Rock Hard front bumper where the winch mounts low in it so as not to block radiator. Fact is I went with all Rock Hard so far, as to include both bumpers, rocker guards, and all under side skids. Then for now I used a Tera Flex leveling kit, 2 inch front / one inch rear to take the drop out and bring it back to level.
  So many choices for a winch. I,m leaning towards a Powerplant, but really wanting your feedback.  This is for a 2014 4 door Rubicon. Thanks guys.

On my previous Jeep I had a Warn 9.5 CTi at a cost of about $1,100.00 and it pulled me out of mud twice, my current Jeep came with a Smittybilt X2O 8,000# winch, which cost the previous Owner $299.00. As long as it pulls me out of trouble, I'm happy. If the Smittybilt breaks under pressure I can only hope I am not wheeling alone...

I split your post off OscarMike's thread.

Winch recommendations - the Warn Powerplant is a good one but if the air compressor breaks (happened to a buddy), you have to send the whole thing off for repair, I would much prefer a separate winch and air compressor.  Having said that, the air compressor in it has a very high CFM output (relatively speaking.)  What I don't like about the Powerplant is that it is very tall.

My winch preference by a long shot is a MileMarker hydraulic.  The winch has a very low profile and being hydraulic, it is mechanically and electrically very simple and trouble free.  It will run all day long, never get hot, and there's no heavy current solenoids to burn out.  MileMarker supplied their hydraulic winches to the military for the Humvees.

I have the PowerPlant on my TJ and love it. Last time out I ended up filling tires for two other Jeeps. They had Yorks and they just wouldn't work.

But I also have the good old Harbor Freight winch on my trailer that has been flawless for 5 years. I guess it come down to you and the use it will get?

I do love my ARB compressor too that I use around the farm too!

This is not so much a winch recommendation as it is a setup suggestion.  I included a reciever for my steel bumper and mounted my winch on a cradle.  I can use it on the front or rear.  It stores in my locking inside storage box and it is always out of the weather and not tempting any theives.  I have an extension power cord to use it on the rear receiver.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/156.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/002-16.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/006-12.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/005-12.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/003-14.jpg

My winch recommendation has one word.  WARN.  I know there are a lot of less expensive and more readily available winches on the market but a winch is one place where I absolutely will not skimp on cost.  I have owned about 6 WARNs over the years and worked on several as well as rebuilt several other brands and the overall build quality of the WARN is top shelf all the way.  Even on the internals where no one sees them, the O-rings, bushings and sealing of the parts is so much better.

That said, I had the WARN Powerplant and I was not that impressed with it.  I never had any overheating issues at all on my Jeep but I didn't like the looks of the fact that it sat so high in front of the grill/radiator as well as the spool was further away from the bumper mounting brackets than I prefer.  The Powerplant worked well but for some reason I was not impressed.  It did air up tires well and worked as a winch well but I feel you get a better overall setup with a separate winch and air system.  I had to replace my TPD on my Powerplant once when it crapped out, I was able to jumper it out and continue on the remainder of the week in Moab but it bugged me having it jumpered out.  When I talked to the tech @ WARN he told me they had an issue with them and they had supposedly remedied it.  However, I replaced the TPD when I returned home and sold the winch and bumper combo. 

I built my own bumper and sunk the new WARN 9.5xp down into the bumper right between the frame mounting points for a much lower setup.  I then installed an on-board air system and I am much happier with it.

Mike.

Thanks guys, I had made the decision to go with a Warn, but was not sure whether to go all in one with the powerplant or not. May go instead with the 9.5 xp, as that does look like a good winch. However now I need recommendation for on board air. Sorry for so many questions, but I really need the experts help. Thanks again guys.

I would avoid the Powerplant for reasons previously stated.  For on-board air you can't beat the dual ARB compressor setup.  It's $500, but it's a killer - very high CFM and if you plumb in a tank you can use it to run air tools.

I would agree with going with Warn.
Just remember they do have a import line with the Warn name on it. Don't buy it! I was told this by a guy who works for Warn.

And just to let you know, the PowerPlant can run air tools too. It has a tank built into it. With that said, my LJ has a Warn RC winch and I have the ARB suitcase air compressor with the tank. It is a sweet compressor.

The one that John mentioned is real good too.

I would say for on-board air, either the ARB dual compressor setup like John mentioned or a VIAIR system.  I went with the VIAIR and am very happy with it.  I also mounted a 2.5 gallon air tank under the front of the Jeep and plumbed my air fitting out under the front bumper and another in my driver's compartment kick panel.  I have a gauge on my A-pillar and another one on my manifold block under the hood near my brake booster. 

When heading down off the trail as I get near the area we are going to air up at, I simply flip the switch on my A-pillar and fill the tank so I start off with a full tank of air for at least the first tire.  Although it is capable of running air tools, I have not used any yet so I cannot report on how it works for that.  I suspect not too awfully well due to only having a 2.5 gallon tank. 

Mike.

Thanks guys, very much helps me make my decisions. Its a bit overwhelming for me starting out with no base knowledge. Thats where you guys help so much.
  Mike,
    I can't wait to be able to visit with you in person in Moab this fall. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions for you then. 

No problem.  Plenty of great advise here from very knowledgeable off-roaders.  Just remember we all started out as noobies at one point in time and had to learn it and we don't mine helping others.  Trust me I don't know it all either, still learning.

Mike.

I have been a told as a rule of thumb. it needs twice the weight of your jeep as a constant pull. I.e. if your jeep is 3k you need a minium of 6k pulling power on the front of the jeep. but that's working weight not just the max. I personally would not go below 8k working load. this is enough to pick the jeep up if needed to hang in a tree with a load in it.

also something think of is  O.B.A. is really nice and kool! however you can go with a CO2 set up and it will not cost as much however you can use a small 20# tank and it will last you for a long time on a trail jeep that your not using for crazy trails etc... if you are planning on using it for tools and fixing the jeep etc.. yes I see the point of going threw all the expense and trouble of adding air tanks and pluming to do it.

also with a winch if you go Electric it will work even if your jeep don't run. If you go hydro, they are nice however they do not work unless the jeep is running so if your stuck in a river it will not work unless you can get it to start.  but this most of the time dose not happen and if you try to start it while full of water you will do a lot of damage to your motor

I know this is an old post but, I would rather put it here than make a new thread. My apologies for the necropost.  I am curious what winches are you all using?

So here we go, I found myself high-centered on a trail after taking a steep line around a log that had been cut, I also tried to jack it up and had no luck. Luckily, I have a buddy with me who helped me tow it. I don?t want to experience the same thing if I?m on my own.
I have 2010 4 door Rubicon, on ARB front bumper with bull bar. I?m wanting to install a winch that would not block the radiator. I am in search of a winch and ran across a comprehensive review https://motoringcrunch.com/reviews/best-winches-reviews/ is the list.  There are a lot of choices, what are the things I have to consider because I am leaning towards the Smittybilt.  Appreciate your feedback.

Check out Quadratec.com.  I'm running one of their house brand 9500lb integral solenoid winches on my TJ.  On a 4 door, I think I'd go to the 12k model, though.
I know that last year, that 9500lb winch had enough balls to pull a Bobcat that we were plowing snow with out of a snow bank after my buddy stuck it there.  Of course I had to tether the Jeep to a big Dodge crew cab 4x4 to keep from dragging the Jeep instead of the Bobcat.
I also like the integral solenoid design as they are a bit lower profile than the ones with the solenoid box on top.

PS, if you get one of those Quadratec catalogs, tell your wife I had nothing to do with it.  It's sort of the Sears catalog for Jeepers.  My wife hates it every time one of them catches up with our mail.

Old_Crow said:
Check out Quadratec.com.  I'm running one of their house brand 9500lb integral solenoid winches on my TJ.  On a 4 door, I think I'd go to the 12k model, though.
I know that last year, that 9500lb winch had enough balls to pull a Bobcat that we were plowing snow with out of a snow bank after my buddy stuck it there.  Of course I had to tether the Jeep to a big Dodge crew cab 4x4 to keep from dragging the Jeep instead of the Bobcat.
I also like the integral solenoid design as they are a bit lower profile than the ones with the solenoid box on top.

PS, if you get one of those Quadratec catalogs, tell your wife I had nothing to do with it.  It's sort of the Sears catalog for Jeepers.  My wife hates it every time one of them catches up with our mail.

I will check Quadratec.com, and yes I'll tell my wife it's just one of the Sears catalog. lols....Thanks, appreciate it.

My previous 2 winches were Warn.
I now have on order a Warn 10k to put in a Curt cradle. Getting a Curt bolt on front receiver. Getting a connector below the grill and a 2nd one at the rear of my truck.
Having a winch has come in handy too many times to go without. I looked at HF and others but decided that for a couple of hundred more I could get a Warn with synthetic rope.

Lynx0849 said:
My previous 2 winches were Warn.
I now have on order a Warn 10k to put in a Curt cradle. Getting a Curt bolt on front receiver. Getting a connector below the grill and a 2nd one at the rear of my truck.
Having a winch has come in handy too many times to go without. I looked at HF and others but decided that for a couple of hundred more I could get a Warn with synthetic rope.

I read the review on the Warn winches, and is rated as top notch. Costly, but it seems worth the price.  Thank you Lynx0849.

I wouldn't consider a cheap offshore winch, it would get pretty expensive with a failure when it is needed most. Warn, Mile Marker and others have quality products and imho well worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom