CUM-ISC Lost second belt, stuck along freeway...driveable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20FromNow

I have a 99 Monaco Dynasty with Cummins ISC-330.
The serpentine belt is FINE, but the second belt that goes up to a pump just flew apart.

I'm stuck along the freeway and am waiting for Good Sam Roadside assistance to figure out a solution. However, the mobile mechanic they were going to dispatch says the belt is not available within a couple hundred miles.

So, if I need to camp out for a bit, I'm wondering if it's driveable for short distances without the second belt.
What does that pump do?

Picture at Dropbox
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93858280/rvbelt.JPG

I can sure do without that.... I need to get some confirmation on that...
Thank you for the quick post.
Main concern would be steering pump.

A/C pump. Easy to confirm though if you still have doubts. Try the cab A/C and you will find that it does not get cold.

Roger that. I'm going for it!
Dash AC not cold.
YEA....getting off the freeway!

If passing drivers saw smoke and waved us down...then we heard the belt go....
AC pump trashed?
No smoke by the time I got stopped and back there with an extinguisher.

mentalarson said:
The serpentine belt is FINE, but the second belt that goes up to a pump just flew apart.

I'm stuck along the freeway and am waiting for Good Sam Roadside assistance to figure out a solution. However, the mobile mechanic they were going to dispatch says the belt is not available within a couple hundred miles.

So, if I need to camp out for a bit, I'm wondering if it's driveable for short distances without the second belt.
What does that pump do?

Picture at Dropbox
the mobile mechanic is a idiot for not telling you its just theAC belt and you can drive to mexico and back without it.I don't understand how it is he never told you not to worry about it and carry on.Very dishonest or stupid on his part(or both) I base this opinion on the fact if he knew a belt was not available he would have to have known the application to know what belt was needed. need Op to clarify how it come to be the MM knew what exact belt was required

buchanan said:
the mobile mechanic is a idiot for not telling you its just theAC belt and you can drive to mexico and back without it.I don't understand how it is he never told you not to worry about it and carry on.Very dishonest or stupid on his part(or both)

I missed where the mobile mechanic said this.

To the OP: I had an ISC 330 in a 2000 Windsor (at that time the same chassis as the Dynasty) and that is where my AC compressor we located. I don't remember if that belt drove anything else.

Take a good look at that unit, if it is the AC compressor you will see two hoses (supply & return) running toward the front of the coach.

ken

Sounds like the A/C compressor or the clutch mechanism on it may have seized up.  You can drive all over without it. With the engine off you should be able to reach in and turn the outer part of the pulley where the belt runs. If it does not spin the clutch unit is shot. A truck shop that does A/C work should be able to help you out.

Ken & Sheila said:
I missed where the mobile mechanic said this.

To the OP: I had an ISC 330 in a 2000 Windsor (at that time the same chassis as the Dynasty) and that is where my AC compressor we located. I don't remember if that belt drove anything else.

Take a good look at that unit, if it is the AC compressor you will see two hoses (supply & return) running toward the front of the coach.

ken
Missed where mechanic said what??? Mechanic never said anything from the way I read things.Otherwise the OP would not be on here asking others if he can drive the unit

mentalarson said:
However, the mobile mechanic they were going to dispatch says the belt is not available within a couple hundred miles.

Picture at Dropbox

He did say something!!

I don't think the mechanic was asked anything about drivability.  He was asked by GS if he could deliver and install a belt, and he said " the belt is not available within a couple hundred miles."

So that makes him an idiot?  ???

buchanan said:
Very dishonest or stupid on his part(or both)

Can you elaborate a little? Why is he dishonest or stupid. He merely stated a fact that the belt was not available close by. He had nothing to gain by saying that so he's not dishonest and he did is job by searching for a belt which to me makes him smart.  :)

After an hour on the phone with Good Sam Roadside I posted this question and picture.
You guys told me it was AC whithin just a few minutes.

They were going to send the mobile mechanic, but the mechanic bailed because he didn't have the belt.
GSRS was then going to send a tow truck to pull me off the freeway to a KOA for the night about 15 miles away.

After I posted here, before I checked back, I asked to speak to the GS technician directly. He was surprised to see the belt only went to one thing and would not tell me it was safe to drive without the belt.
I said, I didn't care about that, but that I just wanted to know what the pump was on the top.
After a few minutes of chit chat he acknowledged it was the AC pump.

I returned here and 10 people confirmed it was AC only while I was on the phone with GSRS.

I started up, let it run a bit.
Confirmed the dash AC wasn't cold and took one more look at the running engine to make sure nothing looked sketchy.

Away I went.
I linked back up with my family and 90 miles with no problems so far.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I will be buying belts PRONTO!

mentalarson said:
After an hour on the phone with Good Sam Roadside I posted this question and picture.
You guys told me it was AC whithin just a few minutes.

They were going to send the mobile mechanic, but the mechanic bailed because he didn't have the belt.
GSRS was then going to send a tow truck to pull me off the freeway to a KOA for the night about 15 miles away.

After I posted here, before I checked back, I asked to speak to the GS technician directly. He was surprised to see the belt only went to one thing and would not tell me it was safe to drive without the belt.
I said, I didn't care about that, but that I just wanted to know what the pump was on the top.
After a few minutes of chit chat he acknowledged it was the AC pump.

I returned here and 10 people confirmed it was AC only while I was on the phone with GSRS.

I started up, let it run a bit.
Confirmed the dash AC wasn't cold and took one more look at the running engine to make sure nothing looked sketchy.

Away I went.
I linked back up with my family and 90 miles with no problems so far.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I will be buying belts PRONTO!
Great post and Nice detailed reply.Glad you got her going. too bad you had to deal with idiots when your stuck on the highway

Thank you for reporting back because it might help someone else in the future.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Thank you for reporting back because it might help someone else in the future.
ArdraF
I'll expand on this a bit more as my situation unfolds to help others avoid the same kind of excitement.
Fortunately, today was a stressful inconvenience and not a catastrophe.

We are full timers as of 5/6/14 with pets and all so all our eggs are in this basket.
I have a day job and a side business so I've been way behind on my RV-tech learning curve...

Did the belt just break or did the AC pump freeze up and that broke the belt?  If some one saw smoke, the belt was burning up which would lead me to believe the pump may be frozen or it could have stretched just enough to be loose.  I think it is wise to carry a few extra parts for those emergencies.

kjansen said:
Did the belt just break or did the AC pump freeze up and that broke the belt?  If some one saw smoke, the belt was burning up which would lead me to believe the pump may be frozen or it could have stretched just enough to be loose.  I think it is wise to carry a few extra parts for those emergencies.

I fail to see where extra parts would have helped this guy in this situation.

Carrying spare belts is a convenience when one breaks like this - you aren't dependent on finding a matching belt nearby or correct identification of the belt by some phone tech. Of course, if the pump seized then a new belt is pointless.

Preventive maintenance can often prevent this sort of thing as well - change belts at home, before they break out on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom