CUM-ISC Lost second belt, stuck along freeway...driveable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's unfortunate that the GS person was not able to adequately assess the drivability (and/or other service options) of the motorhome when first given the OP's problem description.  Of course, we don't have a transcript of the full conversation, but some of us have experienced, what we perceive as, a difference in the technical expertise, or onsite resources, available via Coach Net Roadside Service versus GS.  I think this is where the process collapsed, to the detriment of the OP.

GS and CN both have to rely on the same pool of service resources in any given area, but it would appear that knowledgeable communication between the Roadside service Rep and the potential service provider is as important as that between the Rep and the caller.  In this case, I doubt that the "mechanic" was given enough information to evaluate (or even consider) the ops level of expertise, or his expectations.  My guess is, he was asked about delivering and installing a belt, but didn't have access to one.  How this info was communicated between the Mech, Rep and OP is still unclear.  I don't think this makes the mechanic an idiot, just less than perfect.

The weakest link that I see here was at the GS service Rep level.  Unfortunately, I doubt that GS, nor the mechanic, learned nearly as much as the OP, and others, have from this experience.

the  Op said the mechanic told him no belt was locally available.The mechanic had to have known what the belt was for ortherwise how could he say there was no belt available if he has no clue what the belt was for??so he had to have known what the belt was for and knew the application.  QUOTE:However, the mobile mechanic they were going to dispatch says the belt is not available within a couple hundred miles.
sounds idiotic to me. Iam just glad the OP was able to understand he was able to safely drive it and iam sure he learned a lot from this experience

buchanan said:
the Op said the mechanic told him no belt was locally available.The mechanic had to have known what the belt was for ortherwise how could he say there was no belt available if he has no clue what the belt was for??so he had to have known what the belt was for and knew the application.  QUOTE:However, the mobile mechanic they were going to dispatch says the belt is not available within a couple hundred miles.
sounds idiotic to me. Iam just glad the OP was able to understand he was able to safely drive it and iam sure he learned a lot from this experience
You don't have a direct quote from the OP that he talked directly to the mechanic, and neither do I.

I can't (won't) speculate further on what the mechanic may have known or not known, or been told or not told, about the OPs problem or expectations of service, but I think it is a little "idiotic" to label him an "idiot" based on the sparse facts.

There's also the question of the mechanic's professional liability.  Not being able to inspect the rig, he had no way of knowing if the belt broke because the compressor froze up, or if it broke due to another problem like a bad crankcase pulley that would also affect the serpentine belt. 

If the belt broke because the A/C compressor locked up, the rig was probably safe to drive.  But if it broke due to a bad crankcase pulley that was ready to shred or throw the serpentine belt it would be foolish to continue down the road.

Relying on a third party to interpret the cause of failure is risky if you don't know their level of technical competence.  As it turned out, the coach was safe to drive.  But the owner made that determination on his own and was solely responsible for any consequences.

Just Lou said:
You don't have a direct quote from the OP that he talked directly to the mechanic, and neither do I.

I can't (won't) speculate further on what the mechanic may have known or not known, or been told or not told, about the OPs problem or expectations of service, but I think it is a little "idiotic" to label him an "idiot" based on the sparse facts.

its called opinions and  last time I looked one was allowed to form an opinion based on what he reads here and how the context of it is taken.
I don't see the facts as sparse as per say others do. I assumed the mechanic was a diesel mechanic and famililar with this setup
Maybe I assumed wrong.I based my assumption on the fact he seemed to know what belt was required

buchanan said:
I fail to see where extra parts would have helped this guy in this situation.

Really!  I see 2 belts in the picture, having a spare of each with some simple hand tools and the op could be running down the road.  If you choose not to carry some parts that's fine.  I carry a set of pre-greased bearing and seal and tools plus other things that may break and can replace them and be on my way.

kjansen said:
Really!  I see 2 belts in the picture, having a spare of each with some simple hand tools and the op could be running down the road.  If you choose not to carry some parts that's fine.  I carry a set of pre-greased bearing and seal and tools plus other things that may break and can replace them and be on my way.

BUT he was not in a situation where a belt or tools were required. that's why I said "IN THIS SITUATION".Carrying spare belts and tools is a Very good idea but if you have no idea how to use the stuff or whats required whats the point?
In this case no spare parts or tools were really never actually ever required

Drove mine from Nashville to Mid Georgia without the AC belt. Had to run the gen and house AC more but no other problems

No one has mentioned that if it had been the serpentine belt that broke you definitely would have been stranded. I always carry a spare serpentine belt, but not the AC compressor belt. In 20 years, 165,000+ miles, I've had to used the spare once. I try to change the serpentine belt every three years. The new one I buy goes on the coach and the old one becomes my spare. This is the one belt you can't afford to be without. Inspect your serpentine belt, if there are little cracks in the ridges on the inner side, it's time to replace it.

BTW the AC belt is standard and you can get one at any NAPA store. For the serpentine belt you have to get the part # off the old one and go to a truck parts store.

Maybe, just maybe, this mechanic understood exactly what was required and said so, rather than take the trip and charge for it, knowing full well he could not get a satisfactory belt anywhere nearby. That would not only make him smart but honest as well.

Why do we always expect the worst in people???

Alfa38User said:
Maybe, just maybe, this mechanic understood exactly what was required and said so, rather than take the trip and charge for it, knowing full well he could not get a satisfactory belt anywhere nearby. That would not only make him smart but honest as well.

Why do we always expect the worst in people???
REALLY?? so why did he not simply say "hey its only the AC belt" carry on and have it changed when you get home??? if this guy was so smart and honest??

IMO,  when one of these phone "mechanics" says "not available locally", they are talking about places on their list of approved service facilities, not local NAPA or Autozone stores. And few service shops stock belts and hoses anymore - they can get them from a nearby supplier in a few hours or overnight at the worst.

Nor does the roadside assist phone rep assume (gamble) that the caller has any tech capability or the willingness to find an auto parts store. These days liability concerns overwhelm everything else for these companies - they don't dare give any but the safest possible advice.

Gary RV Roamer said:
OK, guys, let's cool the "who said what" debate.  We don't know exactly what was said and it's all over & done now anyway.
sounds good and totally agree ... onward and upward

My take away from this thread is that the more you know about your RV and how it works, the less likely you are to be stranded unnecessarily.

Paul

buchanan said:
REALLY?? so why did he not simply say "hey its only the AC belt" carry on and have it changed when you get home??? if this guy was so smart and honest??

I just read the OPs postings of this same problem (over on the RV.NET forum).  He didn't indicate that he ever communicated directly with the mechanic.  We don't know what the mechanic was asked or told. 

The OP did state that after about an hour on the phone with GS, he sent them the photo that he posted here, and they confirmed that it was the a/c compressor drive belt.  GS made no suggestions of the drivability of the coach nor did they relay any from the mechanic.  (I suspect for the liability reasons stated by Gary)

Quote:
OK, guys, let's cool the "who said what" debate.  We don't know exactly what was said and it's all over & done now anyway.

I thought Gary said enough and we are done? why do  people keep posting the same thing over and over

buchanan said:
Quote:

I thought Gary said enough and we are done? why do  people keep posting the same thing over and over
buch, I just thought folks should know what the real facts were.

If you hadn't worn out your welcome over on RV.Net, you could have read it for yourself.

NOW I'm done, okay?

As Gary clearly asked no more replys(several posts ago) I shall respect his request

Chet18013 said:
No one has mentioned that if it had been the serpentine belt that broke you definitely would have been stranded. I always carry a spare serpentine belt, but not the AC compressor belt. In 20 years, 165,000+ miles, I've had to used the spare once. I try to change the serpentine belt every three years. The new one I buy goes on the coach and the old one becomes my spare. This is the one belt you can't afford to be without. Inspect your serpentine belt, if there are little cracks in the ridges on the inner side, it's time to replace it.

BTW the AC belt is standard and you can get one at any NAPA store. For the serpentine belt you have to get the part # off the old one and go to a truck parts store.
Chet, I think a better process is to carry new belt as a spare not one you took off because you felt it was not reliable. Why go through the trouble replacing a belt with one that will have to be replaced because it is not reliable enough to leave on. Just saying.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom