On the Ground Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I can't believe what my husband and I are planning on doing.....tent camping.....geesh, what are we thinking??? 

We have been spending the summer on our RV lot in Thayne, Wyoming and driving past all these great little campsites along the rivers where we can fly fish.  It has stirred up memories of all the times we just plopped down a tent and spent the night.  So we agreed to get a "stand-up-in/easy-to-set up tent", a couple of cheap flannel lined sleeping bags, an inflatable queen size air mattress, a one burner stove for morning coffee and lots of paper plates.  ;)  We agreed to do just one night and see how things go.  If it doesn't work out, the kids can have the tent and we can always use the sleeping bags when our granddaughter has a sleep-over and brings a friend or two.

Wish us luck!
Marsha~

I saw lots of neat campsites suitable for tent camping only on our recent trip out west.  The problem is, if we tried tent camping again, chances are the "Help me I've fallen and can't get up" button wouldn't work and we'd be stuck  there. :(

:eek: I'm too damned old to sleep on the ground anymore. We bought a small 2-man tent for our grandkids to use while they were here...they loved it...MOST nights. "are there REALLY bears here, Grandpa?"  :eek:

;D

Thayne used to be pretty nice. We spent a couple of years in Sublette County. Love the state...hate the winters. (Wyoming has 3 seasons...July, August, and Winter...and you might get snow in all of them) :p

Molaker said:
I saw lots of neat campsites suitable for tent camping only on our recent trip out west.  The problem is, if we tried tent camping again, chances are the "Help me I've fallen and can't get up" button wouldn't work and we'd be stuck  there. :(

Exactly. I could get down on the ground to sleep...but I'd need the help of 3 men to get back up in the morning.  :(

We've seen spots like that and have been similarly tempted, but fortunately sanity returned after a brief moment.  ;) Might go for a small pop-up trailer, though. They can often be fit into similar locales...

You will probably need a large mouth Mountain Dew 32 oz bottle. Drink it all up before you go to bed and keep it handy for Tim in the middle of the night. Getting up in the middle of the night and walking around a campground looking for the restroom can be a dangerous thing. Not only are there bears and mountain lions out there, it is possible to get lost on the way back (don't ask me how I know this ;D)

SeilerBird said:
it is possible to get lost on the way back (don't ask me how I know this ;D)

Yep, I won't say lost but I took a long walk one night... ::)

SeilerBird said:
You will probably need a large mouth Mountain Dew 32 oz bottle. Drink it all up before you go to bed and keep it handy for Tim in the middle of the night. Getting up in the middle of the night and walking around a campground looking for the restroom can be a dangerous thing. Not only are there bears and mountain lions out there, it is possible to get lost on the way back (don't ask me how I know this ;D )
Restroom?  He'll be standing in it. :)

Tom and others....I plan on not drinking anything after 9 pm.  :)

Many years ago when the earth was young and the glaciers had not receded yet, I slept in my horse trailer after I had cleaned out all the horse droppings.  Next to my cot was a large flashlight and a large coffee can full of sand.  Oh yeah, and a roll of T-paper.  aaahhh the memories.

Not sure I want to try the "can full of sand" trick in the tent.

Marsha~

Know I wouldn't even want to try the tent, much less the coffee can!!  ::) ;D

ArdraF

I don't know about doing the tent thing again....sounds fun, but my back says otherwise....

But we have talked about doing a couple of overnighters in the back of a minivan.  Given my occupation, I can grab a Stow n Go Chrysler Town & Country, drop the seats into the floor throw an air mattress in the back, and we have our sleeping quarters!

Been wanting to go to Aguirre Springs in the Organ Mountains, but no trailers longer than 16' on the road.  That means doing it old school....but at least in the van, I won't be as likely to encounter a rattlesnake...

Can't be any worse than sleeping in the back of a pickup during a horse show.  Oh, wait a minute, that was 34 years ago, at least a century ago in "sore back" time.  ;D  ;D  ;D 

Margi

I remember the last time we tent camped. As I was crawling out of the tent, looking at the restroom 200-feet away, and trying to stand up, I said "never again."

Back
Top Bottom