RV Refrigerator works great with propane, but not with AC. WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Procrastinator

RV Refrigerator works great with propane, but not with AC. WHY?
After my last camping trip, I noted that the refrigerator gets super cold when it is ran on Propane, but only gets slightly cold with it is ran with just AC power.
Does this sound like the electrical heat element?
How to I test it?Is it easy to replace?

Test of the electric element is easy.  An ohm meter is all you need.

Usually easy enough to replace too. It just slips into a "holster" on the side of the cooling unit boiler. Sometimes they get rusted in place, but some penetrating oil and wiggling should get it out (wipe excess oil off before heating again).

Test with an ohmmeter - should be in the 50-90 ohm range (depending on fridge model). A bad one will usually show shorted (0 ohms) or open (infinite ohms).

If the ohm reading is OK, check that the 110v heating element is making good physical contact with the boiler for heat transfer.  Never had to diagnose one, just a thought with the 'cools a little' symptom. 

Back up a bit. How do you know it cools but not as good as propane? How long did you leave it on AC? Do you have 110 volt AC power at the outlet behind the fridge? If you don't check the circuit breakers.

its obvious that he has 120V power and surely if its cold on LPG and switches to 120V there is no cooling period its simpley takes over
plus he says its cools on 120V but not very good. so yes it sounds like your one of two elements is dead  or if its a single its weak
Iam going with the premise that the Op is fairly intelligent and knows basics such as power at outlet,time needed  for a absorbtion fridge needed for proper cooling etc  etc

That suggests either low voltage or a partially failed element. The later is very rare but not inconceivable.

What fridge make and model? Just about all except large 12+ cubic foot models have a single heater element. If you do have one of the dual element models, your symptoms would be typical of one element not working.

Gary RV Roamer said:
That suggests either low voltage or a partially failed element. The later is very rare but not inconceivable.

What fridge make and model? Just about all except large 12+ cubic foot models have a single heater element. If you do have one of the dual element models, your symptoms would be typical of one element not working.

I was always under the impression the Norcold 12CF fried has two elements??Replacement 210 Watt, 110 volt electric heating elements. This is a pair of elements.

Fits all Norcold 1200 series 4 door refrigerators.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Right, I said the large 12+ (that's 12 cu ft and up) use twin elements.
your correct my friend.I read your post incorrectly my bad

Gary RV Roamer said:
BTW, the elements on the Norcold 12xx are 225 watts each, for a total of 450.

could very well be the quote I used  "Replacement 210 Watt, 110 volt electric heating elements. This is a pair of elements."  was from a norcold parts ad

I got 120VAC at the element and it also measures 46 ohms. I guess it is just weak now. How the heck do I get it out? It goes into some rusty old sheet metal and has isolation all around. What holds it in?

Here are my results before doing any work... :p
Running electricity for 24 hours pulls my refrigerator down to 64*F and freezer down to 36*F.
Running propane for 24 hours pulls my refrigerator down to 59*F and freezer down to 29*F.
I already have an electric recirculation fan inside the fridge.

How far off the normal numbers am I?
Before I buy parts, I am wondering if I will see much improvements.
All opinions are welcome.... ;)

Procrastinator said:
Here are my results before doing any work... :p
Running electricity for 24 hours pulls my refrigerator down to 64*F and freezer down to 36*F.
Running propane for 24 hours pulls my refrigerator down to 59*F and freezer down to 29*F.
I already have an electric recirculation fan inside the fridge.

How far off the normal numbers am I?
Before I buy parts, I am wondering if I will see much improvements.
All opinions are welcome.... ;)
Now this is confusing You said a few days ago quote:RV Refrigerator works great with propane,

NOW your confirming it works lousy on both LPG and AC      Sounds like (possible)you have a failing cooling unit

none of those numbers are good

When I said great, I meant better...
But, I did not know how far off I was until today.
Are there any tricks to bring the old girl back?
Or do I need to just replace it? :-\

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom