Are Thetford and Dometic toilets interchangeable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmyoung61

I have a friend who needs to replace the toilet in his fiver.  It currently has a Thetford Aurora and he would like to replace with a Dometic 310 High profile.  Does anybody know if this will require any alterations or will it just need a new seal?

They both mount to the same floor flange and take the same freshwater inlet hose.  Make sure there's enough clearance to the sides and rear and you should be set.

Lou Schneider said:
They both mount to the same floor flange and take the same freshwater inlet hose.  Make sure there's enough clearance to the sides and rear and you should be set.

that includes the person(haha) ;D

Yea, I agree. I removed a Thetford and inst. a 320 high profile without any problems. Have him double check the height of the HP though. Some say it is too high, I think it is fine. It is 18" at the rim if I recall. Some short folks have their toes hanging I guess!  ;)

We are short, but like the high profile because we are "older."  Makes for an easier dismount.  ;)

+1 for the 320. Much more comfortable than the 310 also. It was a direct replacement.

When I replaced mine, I noticed some models had the flange bolts mounted 90 degrees differently, than mine. They do make an adapter plate, if needed.

I found the same thing as mikef mentioned when I changed out the Aurora for the 310, the Aurora bolt down pattern was 90? off. In my case, as the pipe and flange were one piece and glued in, I was unable to remove or rotate the flange. I had to get inventive to arrange the existing flange to fit the new toilet. I re-used the old bolts as they were still in good shape and were longer than the new ones. The seal for the 310 is completely different to that used with the Aurora but a new seal was shipped with the new toilet anyway, making it a non-issue. YMMV!!

Be careful with the water fitting on the 310, if you manage to screw it up, it will mean a new valve will be required rather than the simple plastic fitting that was used with the Aurora. None of the big hardware stores carried the necessary flexible pipe with the proper combination of end fittings I needed for the new install, only the RV store had one and they valued it very highly!

A rinse or bidet hose is available for the 310. Number DOM 75 FR 385319054
$69.05 plus tax from Amazon. Simple to install. Save the old valve should the new valve start leaking. Had one start leaking after 4 years.

Wi1dBi11

Back
Top Bottom