Disney World / Epcot Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

Believe it or not, we've never been to Disney World / Epcot Center.  We have no grandkids to mask the fact that it would be senior citizens strolling through Mickey's kingdom.  Am I correct in assuming there are enough attractions to warrant a visit?  Highlights to see / do?  How long would you allow for this return to childhood?
What about accommodations for the MH?  At the park or nearby?  Any notably better or worse?

Jim Sullivan

My DW and are in both in our mid sixties and love going to Disney. Take at least a week to visit all the parks. As far as your MH, stay right at Fort Wilderness. It's not cheap but everything is right there for you. They have a excellent Transportation system will get you to anyone of the parks either by bus or boat. 

We USED to enjoy Disney's Ft Wilderness but not any more. Couple of months ago we were going to go but the Ft Wilderness rate was $134/night. They have priced themselves out of our wallet.

Pricing on sites ranges greatly by season - $81-$89/night is the current range.  Shuttle to the park - priceless.

The highest prices are tied to school vacation schedules. Not an issue if you're not bringing kids.

We have no children and I did not think I would enjoy Disney World so was never interested in going.  DW convinced me to go several years ago and we did, staying in Fort Wilderness.  It was wonderful.  We enjoyed it enough that we went back a second time a couple of years later.  We booked a package with Disney that included 5 or 6 nights in the Fort along with park hopper passes for us.  We did our research and found there are times when the prices are lower along with crowds.  For us the week after Thanksgiving was it.  The TG crowds are gone, the Christmas crowds are not there yet but the place is decorated for the Holidays.  Staying in FW is not cheap but, as noted, their transportation system is tops.  We used their buses to take us to the boat that takes you to Magic Kingdom.  For all the other parks, we just drove our car and parked in those lots for free.  And yes, Epcot is a bit more adult oriented than Magic Kingdom.

Another good time for adults to go is after New Year and before folks start showing up for spring break.  However, we found it nearly impossible to get into Fort Wilderness then since the snowbirds started showing up there.  We discovered many folks just come to Fort Wilderness and don't visit the other parks. 

Am I correct in assuming there are enough attractions to warrant a visit?

YES!  Stay at least a week and stay at Fort Wilderness.  Yes, the whole place is expensive but it's so much fun.  We enjoy all of it.  I happen to love Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.  That's for the kids in us.  Epcot is wonderful for the adults.  I don't know if the bear show is still being done at Fort Wilderness but it was great fun.  If the weather is still warm they have some great water activities too.  The Electric Parade is not to be missed.  When Jerry's grandmother was about 90 she was taken to Disneyland thinking it was ridiculous at her age.  She was pushed around in a wheelchair and loved it.  Her favorite was It's a Small, Small World which she raved about.  In other words, the place really is magical and it appeals to all ages.

ArdraF

About 20 years ago, my Mom made her young grandkids promise to take her to Disney World for her 90th birthday.  They all agreed, so we'll probably have a big celebration/family reunion there in another 7 years or so.

ArdraF said:
YES!  Stay at least a week and stay at Fort Wilderness.  Yes, the whole place is expensive but it's so much fun.
Ardra is correct. I am a 65 year old male whom had never been to DW so last year I made a two week reservation at Fort Wilderness. Two weeks was not enough, I cried when I left. There are four main parks and four minor parks at DW. You have the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. These is also two water parks, ESPN zone and Downtown Disney.

It takes at least one day to see each one and there is tons of things for adults to do. Staying at FW is pricey but well worth the experience. It is worth it just to avoid driving around Orlando every day. And since it costs $15 per day to park at DW it is not as expensive to stay at FW.

SeilerBird said:
I am a 65 year old male .... I cried when I left.

65 Y.O. male crying while wearing Mickey Mouse ears conjures up an image. Got any pics?

My wife and I are 67 & we've been going to Disney World since the 1970s.  We used to go with our daughter & other family members; after the grandsons came along we'd go even more often.  In the last few years we've been spending the winters in central FL & buying annual passes so we could go to the parks several times a week.  We've met numerous older couples who enjoy the parks, especially EPCOT.  The EPCOT Food & Wine Festival starts September 19 & it's a favorite for adults.  This year we're camping at Fort Wilderness from 9/25 until 10/22.  It's a great time to be there because the summer vacations are over and the weather is milder. If you're a AAA member, you may be able to get a discount on the Fort Wilderness camping rates.  And, as Gary said, there's Sea World nearby and Universal Studios is just up the road too.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Visit Sea World as well - another great place for kids of all ages.
I just got home from SeaWorld a few minutes ago and I had a blast The dolphin show, the killer whale show and the pirate shows are all great. The pirate captain said his ship reminded him of the Titanic. He said he has been watching a DVD of Titanic lately. The first mate asked him if it was a legitimate copy. No, he said, it was pirated. (boom-crash) :eek: :p ::)

If Fort wilderness is out of your price range ,I would suggest checking out Turkey lake park Which is near Universal Studios or one of the privately owned parks in the area.

Thanks for the input.
Since the state of Florida cancelled our reservations at Collier Seminole, we had a hole to fill in our calendar.  Given the words of encouragement received here, we have made reservations at Fort Wilderness.  It will be far shorter stay than some of the recommendations made here, but three days there should either whet our curiosity or  tell us we needn't return.

Now all I need to do is learn to sing it's a small world, the Mickey Mouse Club song and the themes from various Disney movies and bone up on which characters are from which movie....

I started at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA in 1955 when I was a kid.  Since retiring to NC we've been to WDW several times.  I'm 68 but turn in to a kid every time we go.  Never stayed at Fort Wilderness but booked rooms at one of the value resorts, much lower cost.  We use our MH as transportation to WDW, taking our time.  Anyway, you don't need to be young enjoy WDW.  Planning a trip to So. Cal. soon to see the revised Disneyland.  Take your time and enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth.

My wife and I have camped there for 35 years now. Every third year we go before Christmas but the last time it was cheaper to stay in a hotel plus we got the meal plan for free.
Why pull and pay gas set it up make your bed and pay for your meal? We love the campground Quail trail is our #1 place. But not now. They do nothing for the RV people!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom