FORD 22,000 GVW F53

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CFSUNRISE

Does anyone know to check tire pressure on the inside rear dual tire on a 2014 Winnebago with the 22.5 aluminum wheels. No extensions installed. Is something missing?

CFSUNRISE said:
Does anyone know to check tire pressure on the inside rear dual tire on a 2014 Winnebago with the 22.5 aluminum wheels. No extensions installed. Is something missing?
yes your extentions :p  on my 22 duals I have a slightly longer steel stem accessable from the outside wheel no problems

Not easy, but with a long trucker style pressure gauge ...and it of course requires removing the valve caps. Rather than standard caps, I prefer Alligator caps as they do not have to be removed to check pressure/add air. OR you can add solid metal extensions (3-4") AND a rubber donut stabilizer made to fit the hole in your aluminum wheel (normally Alcoa or Accuride, and can be round or oblong shaped). The RV portion of my website has some pics of both of these options at http://pjrider.com/TireCodes.htm

Thanks for all your advice. We are in the process of ordering a 2015 Itasca Sunova 30A and have looked at several 2014 coaches and have found that apparently Winnebago or Ford is not installing any valve extensions for the inside tire on the rear duals. Will check with our selling dealer to make sure some sort of valve extensions are properly installed before taking delivery.
I knew I would get correct info on this Forum

When we got our first set of new tires, I had the tire shop turn around the outer tire's valve so that it didn't point inside.  On our rigs there is no reason to keep the valve stem pointing inside.

John Canfield said:
When we got our first set of new tires, I had the tire shop turn around the outer tire's valve so that it didn't point inside.  On our rigs there is no reason to keep the valve stem pointing inside.

I've been fighting the outer's inward pointing valve stem, Why didn't I think of having it turned or replaced. Looks like I'll call the tire shop this morning.

Actually it never dawned on me to do that until I noticed a friend's Vectra with the valve stems turned the other way.  Makes life so much easier.

John Canfield said:
Actually it never dawned on me to do that until I noticed a friend's Vectra with the valve stems turned the other way.  Makes life so much easier.

When I read your post, it was a "head-slap" moment with a "duh" attached to the end. The simplest of fixes and yet who'd thunk. Just reading the posts on the forum one can pick up the greatest of tidbits. 

You can't rotate that tire to another position if the valve is turned (or at least not until you turn it back again). But RV tires rarely need to be rotated anyway, so the downside is negligible compared to the benefit.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You can't rotate that tire to another position if the valve is turned (or at least not until you turn it back again). But RV tires rarely need to be rotated anyway, so the downside is negligible compared to the benefit.

I called two tire shops and the work is not worth their time, but my RV Dealer will do both valve stems for an hour labor and parts...about $175.00 the girl said. For the life of the tire(s) and the convenience it is something I am going to do in the very near future. 

Most tire shops will R&R a tire for $25ea, you shouldn't need to pay more than $50. Surprised the tire shops said that. Go to a truck tire place. Friend here got a Valor TPMS that has internal sensors. His cost to dismount each tire and put in sensor than reinstall was $175. That was for 6 wheels.

Oscar Mike said:
I called two tire shops and the work is not worth their time, but my RV Dealer will do both valve stems for an hour labor and parts...about $175.00 the girl said. For the life of the tire(s) and the convenience it is something I am going to do in the very near future.

I just had 2 tire stems changed on the inner dually's to the long tire stems from Borg http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796_831/wheel-size-2224
with the rubber donut. Les Schwab charged me $75 for the installation of the stems and the R&R of the wheels. What a nice change....now I can easily check the inner tires without crawling under the coach!

A dual foot tire chuck will fit on the valve stem of the inside tire without having to crawl under the rig.  Truckers use them all the time.

The problem on RVs is the decorative wheel covers - the hole in the rim itself is the correct size to let the chuck fit on the inside valve stem, but the matching holes on the covers are just a little bit undersize, enough to prevent the chuck from seating on the stem.

One solution is to remove the hubcap before checking the pressure.  Another is to take a Dremel tool and open up the hole on the cover to the proper size.

Most any tire shop can change a tire valve. Just ask them to re-install the valve with it turned 180 degrees.

Or buy a quality stainless steel extension of the right shape and length and install it yourself. Something like this should work, unless the wheel cover is in the way.
http://www.adventurerv.net/valve-extender-180-for-outer-dual-p-10362.html

Back
Top Bottom