EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Inverter noise  (Read 481 times)

WA2YLY

• ---
Inverter noise
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:25 AM »
Hi all
The past few days at my house ive had a very high noise level on hf.This area has always been very low noise level.After giving this some thought I disconnected AC extension cord to RV.Noise is gone and im assuming that inverter unit is generating noise.On our maiden voyage I had high noise level.I will try connecting icom radio directly to 12 volt and eliminate. power supply.I will have to look into some ac line filters.For now I will leave AC disconnected from house.Anyone else have this problem?Also unit is under warranty and I will contact mfg.
Bob

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Inverter noise
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
Noise level on "hf"? Can you elaborate a bit? Also, what year/make/model of RV?

The inverter (converter?) is a possibility, since it is electronic. Actually it would probably be the converter/charger function, but if you have a built-in inverter its probably all one unit.

Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
Bob, I think that HF RFI from converters is a pretty common complaint. Fortunately, I don't have that issue with my motorhome.

I stopped bringing my power supply along. All of my equipment has Anderson power poles, so I made up a 10 gauge cord with power poles on one end and alligator clips on the other. I run the cord through the bottom seal of the slide directly to the battery, and plug the power poles into my Kenwood or Yaesu.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

yolo

• ---
  • You Only Live Once
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »
Noise level on "hf"? Can you elaborate a bit? Also, what year/make/model of RV?
Gary HF = High Frequency  This post is in the Ham Radio section (On the airwaves)
Bill Bell -- SW Florida
Sailboat -> Powerboat -> Motorhome -> Rest Home -> Funeral Home
Presently between Motorhome and Rest Home

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
To elaborate on Bill's post for non-hams, HF is radio below about 30 MHz (near 10 meters wavelength and longer), usually single sideband or AM these days, but may be other modes (especially CW, or morse code), and tends to be more subject to electrical interference than the much higher freqs and other modulation modes such as FM. And when a ham is listening to HF, many signals are extremely weak, such that it doesn't take a lot of electrical "noise" to hide the desired signals.

Many electrical devices generate electrical noise of one kind or another, especially in these digital, computerized days -- for example I have a food saver (vacuum packing appliance) that generates quite a bit of that "noise" when plugged in, whether actually turned on or not, so I must leave it unplugged when not in use.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
This post is in the Ham Radio section (On the airwaves)

But includes CB, FRS, etc. also.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »
Hi all
The past few days at my house ive had a very high noise level on hf.This area has always been very low noise level.After giving this some thought I disconnected AC extension cord to RV.Noise is gone and im assuming that inverter unit is generating noise.On our maiden voyage I had high noise level.I will try connecting icom radio directly to 12 volt and eliminate. power supply.I will have to look into some ac line filters.For now I will leave AC disconnected from house.Anyone else have this problem?Also unit is under warranty and I will contact mfg.
Bob
Need more info. to understand your setup.

The AC extension cord goes from where to where and from what to what?  Where is the inverter location? Does it have something to do with that AC cord? Could this AC cord be acting like an antenna and radiating the inverter noise? Or does this AC cord feed your CONverter?  Did you mean converter noise, or like you said, inverter noise?

73, -Don-  AA6GA, Auburn, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
Gary HF = High Frequency  This post is in the Ham Radio section (On the airwaves)

DUH! I missed that completely, though I figured he was talking about frequency noise interference on something.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network