ANY HAM RADIO OPERATORS HERE ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm K9BEG, general class. We bought our first motorhome Friday and we plan to be fulltime RVers. Have been dreaming about this for years and planning for months, and looking for weeks. I also want to get an HF radio. Right now all I have is a duel band VHF/UHF.

Any active HF CW ops here?

I have been on the air, 40M CW, just about every day and night lately,  from my RV.

Here, I have my entire home setup from my Reno home QTH, antenna and all.

I am using a Yaesu  FTdx1200 and a portable vertical Dipole made by DX-Engineering. This one here. Set on the ground next to my RV in this RV Park.

73,  -Don-  AA6GA/7  Tucson, AZ

I'm one of those No Code Extras. My brain just isn't wired for CW, and it kept me away from the hobby for many years. I've always been jealous of you Know Code folks.

HappyWanderer said:
I'm one of those No Code Extras. My brain just isn't wired for CW, and it kept me away from the hobby for many years. I've always been jealous of you Know Code folks.
IMO, it was a big mistake to drop the code requirement for the Extra Class. Dropping that requirement for the other classes are fine, IMO. Now, nobody bothers to learn CW and everybody on CW is around my age. Just no incentive to learn.

But those who get good at CW get hooked on it every time. Any many of such operators won't even own a mic.

I ONLY work CW on HF.  But I do have VHF and UHF FM stuff that I very rarely use.

I have to admit it's now harder to learn CW.  Not many CW operators want to QRS that much and there are NO others (from what I can hear) that are on the air at 5WPM.

Back in the 1960's the CW bands had many novices, learning mainly  by working each other. These days, you just won't find anybody at 5WPM. I have not heard such for countless years.

73, -Don-  AA6GA Benson, AZ

DonTom said:
IMO, it was a big mistake to drop the code requirement for the Extra Class. Dropping that requirement for the other classes are fine, IMO. Now, nobody bothers to learn CW and everybody on CW is around my age. Just no incentive to learn.

But those who get good at CW get hooked on it every time. Any many of such operators won't even own a mic.

I ONLY work CW on HF.  But I do have VHF and UHF FM stuff that I very rarely use.

I have to admit it's now harder to learn CW.  Not many CW operators want to QRS that much and there are NO others (from what I can hear) that are on the air at 5WPM.

Back in the 1960's the CW bands had many novices, learning mainly  by working each other. These days, you just won't find anybody at 5WPM. I have not heard such for countless years.

73, -Don-  AA6GA Benson, AZ

Good points Don.  I learned to like CW but it took a bit of practice.  My wife also took up the hobby and worked hard to earn her General license.  I finally got my Advanced (which I understand no longer exists) and we have kept them current despite no longer having equipment.  I picked up a 2 meter about 2 years ago and it was so dead that I finally just sold it.  Computers have killed the hobby but it still serves a great need on storms and such.

Bill (WB0VKI)

HappyWanderer said:

Same here! Tried for over 40 years, but it makes absolutely no sense to me.  Can't learn languages or programming either, after decades of trying. My brain just doesn't work that way I guess!

OP- You asked if there wer any hams here but you neglected to list YOUR call.

Update, I have since my last reply picked up an Icon 706 Mk ll G,  have it in the toad.  Not much vhf activity here in Yellowstone, but will be in AZ for winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom