Incinerating "toilet" for black water or some other long-term dump alternative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20FromNow

We are planning to stay with friends this winter in Texas, but they do not have a reasonable way to get our black water to their septic system.

We're planning to drive down the road ever 5 days or so and dump, but it would be nice to rig up something so we could stay put.

I know there are incinerating toilets, but has anyone created something similar that could be used to handle RV waste?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incinerating_toilet
http://www.incinolet.com/
http://ecojohn.com/ecojohn_sr.html

If this is a crazy idea, and you know of other common methods of handling black water that do not include loading 30 gallons of crap into my car, please feel free to chime in.
Figuring out a sanitary solution for this would open up quite a few cheap parking options for us.

We used to use a" sewer Buddy" but I can't find out online anymore. I did findwhat looked like the same thing and it is called a tote tank. There is one at Rvplus.com but I couldn't copy the link.

Depending on the location, some communities have "honey wagons" available but the cost might be on the pricey side for several months.

ArdraF

Yes, there is an incinerating toilet that can be installed in an RV. It's made by a company somewhere in California, if I remember correctly. A few months ago, someone posted here that they had just installed one. If you do a "Search" you'll probably come across it. It's an interesting idea, but I seem to rember that it was also pretty pricey - somewhere in the neighborhood of $8000.

Kev

I just looked at the price of those incer toilets
For probably half that, you could probably hire a plumber to pipe out a dump port!

Maybe its a case where your friends really don't want you to be dumping into their septic tank, so they aren't going out of there way to encourage you......

You could call a porta-potty company that rents portable toilets to jobsites and see if they will pump you out every couple weeks. The macerater is a great idea. I have lots of experience with incinerating toilets and lets just say they don't smell the greatest. They also can have a malfunction requiring you to completely clean out the burner and tray, yuuuuk!!!!

We have one or two of those at some isolated TV transmitter sites in the mtns, we call em' T#rd Burners.. They work, but what I can tell you for sure is you are going to make ZERO points with the neighbors down wind when that thing lights off. I don't know if there are others, but the ones I have been around are exactly like walking into a raw sewage facility, except this one makes smoke too..  Once burned it's just ash. But getting there is an adventure.

Thank you for the ideas.
I was thinking a t-burner has to have some funky effects down wind.
We have a maserator already installed (very nice BTW)...but I hadn't thought of intending the range substantially to hit their clean out. That would work in a lot of situations and may end up being the simplest solution.

I'm not committed to this idea enough to replace a perfectly functional normal toilet with an expensive higher maintenance option...but it's as close to the idea as I could get to ask the question.

Having someone pick up the waste or hauling to somewhere in a Buddy are also very practical suggestions.

However, I was wondering what off grid folks do in the boonies.
I assume it's not cool to just dump their waste, and a 30gal tank only lasts so long....
So is SOP to just pack up and go dump once a week?

My idea was to take the concept of an incinerating toilet and connect from the dump to that device so all the nasty is taken care of outside and no changes to the coach are required. In theory a device like this could provide sanitary disposal for any undeveloped site or dwelling.

It sounds like I'm thinking of something no one does so odds are it's impractical or unrealistic.

No worries...discovering an idea sucks is at least as valuable as finding the good ideas.
Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry for the language in the link, but this is what this thread is making me think of.....
http://www.vietnamsoldier.com/pages/a-soldiers-stories/burning-****.php

Seriously though,  Good luck with whatever you come up with!

Attachments

• burn barrel.jpg
    burn barrel.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 18
If you use the long garden hose to reach a proper disposal point, just remember .......

DON'T DRINK FROM THAT HOSE----EVER!!! :-X :-X

blw2 said:
I'm sorry for the language in the link, but this is what this thread is making me think of.....
http://www.vietnamsoldier.com/pages/a-soldiers-stories/burning-****.php
I was thinking burning waste wasn't quite as glamorous as the glossy high-tech toilet pictures make it look.
I bet the recruiters fail to mention this chore......but I guess service wasn't optional for them so you play the card you're dealt.

BillB3857 said:
DON'T DRINK FROM THAT HOSE----EVER!!! :-X :-X
I'm not sure there is enough black tape in the world to mark that hose...

How far is it from your campsite to your friend's septic?  A genuine macerator will pump a couple of hundred feet, a Sewer Solution considerably less.

Don't dump into the cleanout manhole above the tank itself because that will unnecessarily agitate the tank contents.  Instead, you want to go into the regular sewer line via a cleanout port so the tank's baffling can function properly.

For a long run, I'd look into the price of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe and fittings vs. buying several 3/4" garden hoses.

Lou Schneider said:
How far is it from your campsite to your friend's septic?  A genuine macerator will pump a couple of hundred feet, a Sewer Solution considerably less.
Don't dump into the cleanout manhole above the tank itself because that will unnecessarily agitate the tank contents.  Instead, you want to go into the regular sewer line via a cleanout port so the tank's baffling can function properly.
For a long run, I'd look into the price of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe and fittings vs. buying several 3/4" garden hoses.
I don't know of the actual run distance, and I'm trying to develop a strategy that be adaptable to different situations.

It does sound like the macerator option opens a lot of possibilities.
It pumps out through a black flex hose that is about 1" and discharges through a 3/4 MIP PVC fitting.

I'm thinking 1" PVC for long runs is the way to go to minimize back pressure.
I could rig up several 7.5" lengths that store in the basement with threaded fittings to reach 150-200 feet if necessary.
A few more fittings to adapt from M-garden hose to PVC for flushing and to a 3" and 4" ABS clean-out should set us up to deal with most situations.

Thank you all for your inspiration. I'll post specs and pictures as I deal with this issue in the future.

I also would add that you don't want to add any chemicals like Formaldehyde to your friend's septic tank.  Many people here use no chemicals at all.  Many campgrounds state that Formaldehyde should not be put into their system because it kills the "good" bacteria that keep their systems working properly.  If you use chemicals be selective as to their contents.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom