Trucks to haul a 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

deber

We are guessing that a 30' 5th wheel will require a full ton truck (or better?).  We want to go beyond minimal requirements...within reason.

Most ads we see for trucks don't mention "one ton" or "3/4 ton".  What we see instead are references to "2500", "4500" etc.
We are lost in the funhouse.  Please help!!

We are hoping to buy new, but with the cost of diesel going up, we would consider a near-new also for the right price.
Thanks.

Deb, I?ll provide my limited understanding of pickups for fifth wheels. In the GM line 1500 is the half ton, 2500 is the 3/4 ton and 3500 is the ton.  I have a friend that pulls a 28 footer with a Ford diesel 3/4 ton, and one who uses a one ton Chevrolet diesel to tow a 38 footer.  Both are very happy with the combinations, but there is a big variation of weights on same length fifth wheels so you would need to match the trailer weight and truck tow capacity rating. You can find the tow ratings on the Trailer Life Magazine web site.

Caltex

deber said:
We are guessing that a 30' 5th wheel will require a full ton truck (or better?).? We want to go beyond minimal requirements...within reason.

Most ads we see for trucks don't mention "one ton" or "3/4 ton".? What we see instead are references to "2500", "4500" etc.
We are lost in the funhouse.? Please help!!

We are hoping to buy new, but with the cost of diesel going up, we would consider a near-new also for the right price.
Thanks.

Yes indeed you are lost in a fun house.? Those advertising designations have a little to do with towing capacity, but not a whole lot unless you factor in engine size, rear end ratio, transmission, and axle capacity.? After doing all that, you will still be confused.

Fortunately for you, the manufacturers of trucks and vans also provide tow ratings and gross combined vehicle weight ratings (GCVWR) for their various lines.? ?Tow ratings for the last few years can be found on Trailer Life's website.? ?Click on this to see http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Find the weight rating of the trailer you want to buy -- you can find it on an attached plate on the trailer or in the mfrs' literature.? Then add 10% headroom (20% if you plan to tow in the US/Canadian mountain West) and go out an buy a truck that will tow that and that will not exceed its GCVWR.

Sounds a bit complicated but is easy in practice.  All you are doing is looking for a tow vehicle that will match the maximum weight rating of the trailer.  You can believe the Trailer Life ratings.  This better than one can say for trailer, or truck, sales people.

The next thing you want to determine is the hitch setup that will handle your trailer, but that is another topic.

Thanks, guys.  We will get Trailer Life and work it from that direction.  Much appreciated,
deb

My two cents, since I just went throught the purchase process.? Specific to Chevy, the 2500 is the 3/4 ton, the 3500 is the full ton.? There is really no difference in the towing power, the difference is in the suspension, weight carrying capacity.? So, read the other replys, work up your expected load (1) on the truck (2) on the RV (3) combined, then be guided to the carrying capacity you need.

Be sure you get the HD, heavy duty package  (as in 2500 HD)?towing options on your new vehicle.? it includes the additonal coolers, electrical work etc you'll need.

Good Luck

deber said:
Thanks, guys.? We will get Trailer Life and work it from that direction.? Much appreciated,
deb

Glad to be of help.  Come back when you are ready to talk about hitching systems, trailer desiderata, or even the weather and time of day.    We have folks here that have towed about everything that can be towed and  few things that should have never been towed.    :)

;D Yeah...I'll bet some of the towing stories are the kind you are likely to hear around the campfire on Halloween!  (make your hair stand on end).  Yes, I'll be asking when the time comes.  Thanks again.

I more thing no one else has mentioned but I think is improtant between the 1500-2500-3500 is the size of brakes.  Obviously the 3500 especially a dually will have much larger heaver brakes than the 1500 or 2500.

When I look for a towing vehicle I look for worse case.  As in if a fuse blows going to trailer brakes or plug falls out, will I still be able to stop the rig or will I kill someone trying.

Just my .02 worth of info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom